1147 Dorsoduro, Fondamenta delle Eremite, Venice, Veneto, 30123, Italy

Booking.com Venere.com Hotels.com

• tpal's Profile Photo

Artists' Favorite Presents Flavor of Venice

I had been to Venice twice before and both times had stayed at the same hotel in San Marco. My stay had been pleasant but, at least in my mind, not very adventurous. This time I wanted to experience the out-of-the-way, the less well traveled and perhaps a little less touristy. Fortunately, Carol shared my goals and, for some inexplicable reason, trusted me to select the perfect accommodation.

Now the pressure was on. Price was a consideration of course, but more important was the potential for a great memory. After reading every travel guide I could find and innumerable web searches (including VT) I finally collated all my data and made a...wild guess! The choice was the Antica Locanda Montin. I booked it online and never gave it another thought...except for the two additional confirmation requests, the additional web-review searches and and a little anxiety on the train trip from Como to Venice.

We knew we would be on our own once we disembarked the Vaporetto at the Accademia Bridge stop but we kind of like it that way. With map in hand and rolling luggage in tow we were off. Amazingly, after a few luggage flips at bridge crossings, we spotted the enigmatic lantern with Locanda Montin written in red letters.

On entering we were greeted by a friendly young women, Elizabeth, who spoke enough English to make us feel comfortable and welcome. Yes, she was expecting us, yes our room was ready and no...there is no elevator. Up we went to the third floor and it was worth every step. Our room was one of the two rooms with a balcony and overlooked the Rio Delle Eremite, one of the many small side canals in Venice. The room itself was surprisingly spacious but definitely not the Ritz...and that was perfect.

The furniture and bed were slightly past their prime but comfortable. The bath seemed recently updated and clean. What was more remarkable was what wasn't there. There was no television, no telephone, no mini-bar and no pretense. For some these may be negatives...for us it was just right!

Unique Quality: Located in Dorsoduro, the Locanda Montin was a favorite spot for many late 19th Century and early 20th Century intellectuals and artist including Gabriele D'Annunzio, Modigliani and Ezra Pound. The evidence of this is everywhere. It seems that over the years it had become the custom for artists to trade their work for accommodations or meals. Consequently, the walls are quite literally covered with artwork...halls, stairwells, rooms...everywhere. As we understand it, some of the art become quite valuable but sadly had to be sold during tougher times.

The restaurant in the hotel was excellent. In fact Carol and I agreed that our dinner there was the best we had in Venice. We ate elegantly outside under their vine covered arbor somewhat in contrast to the artsy nature of the hotel itself. We also enjoyed the complimentary breakfast outside each morning.

While we were there we met two Puerto Rican women, sisters, who were staying at the Montin while on a side trip from Rome where one of their daughters was getting married. One sister related this story:

"I visited Venice before many years ago with my ex-husband. We stayed at one of the five star hotels in San Marco. It was very elegant. Nothing but the best. But, you know, you don't really see the place when you travel first class."

We agree!

Note: Price range below is for "Double Occupancy Per Person"

Directions: The closest and least difficult route is to take the Vaporetto Line 51-52 and exit at the Zattere stop. You will have fewer bridges to navigate with your luggage.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

D'Annunzio lived here...

This nice little pension is located in a narrow channel in Dorsoduro, behind the Accademia.
    It's a famous restaurant too, with a nice shady patio.
    Reservations required.

Directions: At Accademy, turn right till Rio S. Trovaso, find the church and go round it.

More about Antica Locanda Montin

Romantic environment AND good food

by SPW about Antica Locanda Montin

The entrance to Locando da Montin is on a quiet rio, and in the front building there are tables and chairs in an area where the walls are covered by pictures of famous diners, but we sat behind this in the courtyard garden under a vine covered pergola.
As we had already had a healthy plate of antipasto at the apartment, we had a main and dessert.
One had tortellini (three large filled tortellini with a butter sauce), one had veal whose delicious sauce required bread so not a drop was wasted and I had fried sardines. We shared a salad, then desserts were a chocolate meringue slice,a panna cotta with strawberry sauce and a tiramisu.
After our very good white wine we finished with a sweet wine for one, a digestive for one and an espresso for me.
Good food, good wine and romantic environment.

Restaurant

by skshih

I will visit venice soon, can anyone suggest a nice, elegant italian restaurant for me?

thanks

RE: Restaurant

by dnwitte

I would suggest that in Venice you strictly avoid any restaurants with pretensions to elegance, as they are almost uniformly absurdly overpriced tourist traps with mediocre routine food and service that's either fawningly overcorrect or wearily indifferent.
In general, if you stick to the most off the beaten track neighborhoods and look for small family run places without white tablecloths or romantic lighting, you will eat much better and not be ripped off in the process. Best of all if the card is only in Italian and handwritten. The ghetto is a good bet, and the remoter parts of Dorsoduro and the easternmost reaches of San Pietro/Sant'Elena.

RE: Restaurant

by LP2

Restaurant suggestions:
http://www.hotelcipriani.com -this is the top in Venice
http://www.centrale-lounge.com - on the Canal Grande
http://www.cantinacanaletto.it - refined ambience and cuisine

In the lagoon of Venice there are also very good restaurants with refined cuisine and cozy ambiences. On Burano island 'Trattoria Al Gatto Nero' is fantastic as well as on Torcello island 'Ostaria al Ponte del diavolo'
Hope this helps
Warm regards

Re: Restaurant

by tarpey

There are many fine and elegant places to eat. Getting good value for your euro is the key.

Three suggestions:
Ai Gondolieri - most expensive, but very elegant and good.
Restaurant Fiaschetteria Toscana - expensive, but very good.
Locanda Montin - it has been a few years, but it was memorable

Good luck.