Antico Panada Hotel Venice

Satisfaction Average

Costs 69% more and rated 12% lower than other 3 star hotels

• giselle25's Profile Photo

Lucky reassignment from nearby Citta di Milano

Through Venere.com I'd booked a double room with shared bathroom at the 2-star Hotel Citta di Milano (San Marco 590 - Campiello San Zulian - Corte Lucatello) for 80 euros/night for April 17-20. Upon arrival at Citta di Milano, however, I found a note stuck on the door saying that the hotel was closed for emergency renovations and guests had been reassigned to nearby hotels. (Gee, thanks for the notice!) Another note said I got assigned to the Hotel Antico Panada about 2 minutes away. Showing up in their attractive reception area, I was worried I'd be charged a higher rate to stay at the very nice 3-star Hotel Panada, 30 seconds from Piazza San Marco, but I guess Citta di Milano had an arrangement with them where I paid only the agreed 80 euros/night for a fantastic triple room (one double bed and one twin) with ensuite bathroom and breakfast included. The room was large, nicely furnished in shades of gold with three windows opening onto a quiet internal yard, a safe, TV, and A/C, and spotlessly clean. The breakfast was surprisingly comprehensive for Italy: coffee, OJ, pastries and rolls, cold cereal, yogurt, jams, cheese and cold cuts. What a lucky turn of events that I could spend 3 nights at Hotel Panada for such a bargain! Perhaps I should send Hotel Citta di Milano a thank you letter...

Unique Quality: The hotel is a 30-second walk from San Marco and about a 6-minute walk from Rialto. Comprehensive breakfast.

Directions: Walk to the left side of Basilica San Marco and turn left.

• Great Location, Great Service

I was surprised to see the negative reviews of Hotel Antico Panada here. Before going to Venice I looked at countless hotels and chose this one because of the vast amount of positive reviews I read about it online. We stayed twice for two days on our way to Croatia and for two days on our way back. Both times the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Everything I had read about this hotel stated that the staff were friendly and I found it to be very true. The people who served the breakfast were also very nice and liked to chat about where we were from and where people were traveling to. They were multi-lingual and could help guests in many languages which I'm sure everyone appreciated. I thought I read online that all the rooms had jacuzzi tubs but I see here that another reviewer says they only got a shower. All I can say is that the two different rooms we had both had jacuzzi tubs which is great after a day of pounding the pavement. During our second two day stay were were given a room with a mysterious tiny stairway. We were trying to guess where it might lead before climbing up to find that it opened up to our own private roof-deck which had some views of the bell tower at St. Marks. The main view was indeed of other roof-tops, but it was a sweet surprise since we had not requested anything like this and were not charged extra for it. Aside from that I would say that the rooms looked just as they did on the website, nothing misleading there. Another comment that surprised me in one of the other reviews was about the freshness of the breads at breakfast. We had fresh (and I mean they tasted really fresh) croissants with apricot filling every morning. They had other breads as well which I did not try because the croissants were just too good. Their coffee also rocked. It was so good that I didn't go out every morning and buy cappuccinos as I had planned. Maybe things have changed for the better since the other posters stayed there, but we had a great stay.

Unique Quality: roof deck
    cute bar on main floor
    jacuzzi tubs
    great location

Directions: Piazza San Marco

• neilward's Profile Photo

Great location

We were supposed to be in the Best Western Hotel,but they had "maintenance " to do in our room and we were transferred to the Padada,which was across the alleyway.
    No great problem there,it just didnt look as smart as the Best Western.
    The desk staff were very friendly and helpful,pointing out where to go,help with luggage etc.
    Breakfast was a bit sparce,Ham and Cheese and not so fresh bread,the waitresses were a bit rude,not to us but with some other guests.
    We were able to chech out and leave our luggage there which was a great help,the last thing I wanted to do was carry a suitcase around Venice all day !!

Unique Quality: The location of this hotel was perfect for sightseeing,which was the sole purpose of the visit.

Directions: 50 metres from St.Marks Square.

More about Antico Panada Hotel Venice

Amazing in every way (well, not the tiny shower)!

by TripAdvisor Member Danimalist

Wow!

I have to say I was blown away by this place. We just spent four nights there. It's less than a one minute walk to Piazza San Marco, yet it's quiet. The staff is courteous and extremely efficient. The rooms are exceptionally clean and well decorated. And the bathroom is beautiful!

I've never said that about a bathroom before.

The only problem at all was that the shower was tiny. We were in a standard double room, so they may have full baths in others, but I couldn't recommend this room for anyone who is seriously overweight. I'm average and had a tough time turning around.

There are many ways that travelers can be taken advantage of in Venice (see my reviews of Residenza Parisi and Hotel Santa Chiara). The Hotel Panada was a welcome refuge and staying there was a truly delightful experience.

Not fantastic - overrated?

by TripAdvisor Member Cassbass

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend for five nights at the beginning of March. It is within metres of San Marco, and all the attractions are walking distance - but then, pretty much everything is within walking distance in Venice anyway.
The hotel reception is pleasant, the reception friendly and helpful. Kindly they allowed us to leave our bags in reception for a few hours after check out on our day of departure. The bar is reasonably priced (for Venice, that is), and the barman charming and quite entertaining (he didn't have a clue how to make the most basic cocktails and had to keep referring to a tatty recipe book).
The room was disappointing - I think perhaps because I had read a lot of very positive reviews about the hotel on this site and had high expectations. It was ok size, but the double bed (which was two twin beds pushed together - very annoying esp when they drift apart during the night) was extremely hard and uncomfortable. Only one pillow each - and very flat pillows at that. The tv was tiny, and stuck up in a very high corner - hardly worth bothering with!
The bathroom was fine, a bit small, but all modern and in working order. The bath was "snug" to say the least - my boyfriend, who is 6 ft and medium build, hardly fitted in it! The shower was great though.
So overall this hotel is fine, and well located, but don't expect anything more than a very average hotel with standard facilities.
p.s. Don't go to the restaurant opposite McDonalds at the end of the street - they rip you off mercilessly and the food is terrible!

Quiet, friendly, clean hotel.

This is a friendly clean hotel right by St Marks square. It was suprisingly quiet as it was so close to the tourist centre. It lies in a good location for exploring Venice and is good value for money. It doesn't have a restaurant but there are at least 10 catering for various budgets in the same street. I would recomend this hotel to others and I would stay there again.

Comments