Appartamenti Grimaldi

#649 of 843 hotels in Venice
1 review

Bad Risk

by written on August 10, 2010

Grimaldi Apartments... do not touch them even with a ten foot pole.

I booked an apartment with Grimaldi Apartments in Venice for July of this year through the Booking.com website. Prior to booking I was put in touch with a Grimaldi rep who was fast to reply and nothing but helpful in an exchange of several e-mails.

Once my credit card was charged by Booking.com for the full cost of the apartment, however, all replies from Grimaldi to my e-mail suddenly stopped. To test my suspicions I had a friend inquire via several e-mails from a different address about available apartments… all of which received prompt replies. There was no mistake in any e-mail address and I am convinced that my latter correspondence to Grimaldi Apartments was willfully ignored.

I then checked the internet for independent reviews of Grimaldi Apartments and found no less than five separate clients who told identical stories of how, after arriving in Venice, their contacts were nowhere to be found and could not be reached by phone. In all cases the clients were left to fend for themselves with no access to the apartments for which they had paid.

All this apparent neglect added up to unacceptable risk in my opinion so I cancelled my booking with this simple explanation... if I can't count on Grimaldi Apartments to make small time to reply to my e-mail, how am I supposed to feel confident that it will suffer the inconvenience of meeting me at the Venice dock when I have three kids ready to crash?

Now despite the fact that I cancelled my booking with almost seven weeks of notice there is no way I'm going to get any of my money back since the booking is non-refundable.

So be forewarned… think twice before you gamble the full cost of an apartment in Venice with Grimaldi Apartments. This firm is not at all sympathetic or accountable to its clients. I learned that my only protection with a booking firm that proves elusive is the unpaid balance of my apartment. I’ll never forfeit that money up front again!

Venice Travel Forum

Need advice about Venice, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Venice and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Venice hotel reviews

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 9 Reviews
Hotel Becher
Hotel Antiche Figure
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Ostello di Venezia (Youth Hostel)
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 7 Reviews

Basilica di San Marco
Canal Grande
Ponte dei Sospiri
Things to Do
By water taxi (& private boats)
Gondola
Murano Island
Traghetto
Transportation
Walking (incl. city maps)
Food, wine and sweets
Burano Lace
Lido di Venezia
Other Islands
Off The Beaten Path
Street Sellers (fake products)
Markets
Ai Sportivi
Books
Bridges
Favorites
Travel preparation, books and maps
Caffè Ristorante Quadri