Ariston Hotel Venice

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 60% less but rated 39% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Venice

The crowd of pilgirims going to ask for good healtThe crowd of pilgirims going to ask for good healt

Museo della MusicaMuseo della Musica

Music - Cafe FlorianMusic - Cafe Florian

The Doge's PalaceThe Doge's Palace

Cost of a small piece of Burano lace

by lindaleub

Hello--I have some friends who will be in Burano and asked if they would like them to buy me a small representative example of real Burano lace. I would like an approx. cost of a 4" x 7" piece of solid Burano lace for my lace collection. I use it to take with me when I give lace talks which I've done for over 20 years in the Wisconsin US area. Any help would be appreciated. Linda Lubner

Re: Cost of a small piece of Burano lace

by travelgourmet

Lace is not made in quantities in Burano any longer and the few remaining lace makers sell out of a few shops. Make sure that the lace is genuine made in Burano and not made in another country like China. Burano lace is expensive and even a 7" doily could be as much as L300 for an intricate piece of work. I have a tip on Burano Lace on VT: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/736c8/22643/c/#1819736

Re: Cost of a small piece of Burano lace

by Manara

It is possible to buy a small doily for EUR 150 or a bit less.

Here below is the website of one of the shops that sell Burano lace. If you click on "Offerte" you will get a voucher that can be printed out and teken to the shop to obtain a 10% discount.

Travel Tips for Venice

Murano when you need to escape

by claireyfairy

When Venice becomes too much and you need some space, head for Murano. It's like Venice but with a vastness of sky above it ,which on a hot June day made a wonderful change from the humidity, bustle and oppressiveness of the city. It's sleepy and laid back - ignore the herding of tourists towards the glass factories as you get off the vaporetto and head in the other direction. The little squares have amazing glass sculptures in them. The Glass Museum is quite interesting and will only take an hour or so to look around at most. The glass shops are varied - trinkets to fine art. Manin56 my favourite. We found the shops with the most interesting and unique glass were also the least pushy. Always visit the local cemetry when on holiday abroad - always interesting and a peaceful haven in an oft busy holiday schedule - Murano was no exception - I have never seen such a colourful graveyard! I miss most standing at bars drinking espresso, or prosecco, watching the locals pop in and out, chatting to each other. Middle-aged venetian ladies going out at 6pm for a spritz and swopping gossip. I just loved how people live there.
Also - the best meal we ever had - Restaurant B on Murano not far from Colonna Vaporetto stop. Sitting in a shady campo, we told the manager we would eat anything and what did he recommend? It's the best thing you can do - they love to show off their food skills and we had a fantastic 4 course meal with wine and complimentary drinks, coffee etc for about £30 a head. So many people turned away from restaurants because the menu is not in english - don't make the same mistake. They will help you, they speak good english and you are abroad - so embrace the experience!

Pizza San Macro, of course,...

by whenitworks

Pizza San Macro, of course, then take a boat to the other side of the Canak Grande, walk to the very end tip of Chiesa Delta Salute. Never miss it. Take the public bus, of course it is boat (vaporetto) in Venice; sit at the very front seat; hold my camera and keep on shooting the spenlandid panorama as the boats approaching.

Getting lost is – haha - difficult

by Trekki

Erm, this is now something I was very much disappointed of. When I was preparing my visit, I read everywhere that one of the most important things to do in Venezia is to get lost. You all wrote that the only way to discover the charm of the city, is if I would end up somewhere totally different than I wanted to go.
Hm, I tried hard, very, very hard to get lost, but I didn’t. Maybe this has to do with my habit to find means of orientation almost everywhere I go, a habit that developed during my “usual” form of vacation: hiking trails in unknown areas for several days. In Patagonia and elsewhere I oriented myself on trees, mountain or hill shapes, the moon or rivers or swarms of birds and always knew if I am heading north, south, east or west. Maybe my brain found a way to translate this habit into city environments ? So, I didn’t get lost. On the other hand, it is quite difficult to loose track, as the officials have mounted signs throughout whole Venezia, telling the way to Ponte Rialto and Piazza San Marco. And even while walking towards Arsenale, I found the signs on the streets (rather than at the walls). I realised that, even if I did not want to know where I am and just went walking, I came across one of those signs within 15 minutes. But, for me this did not minimise the fun of discovering new and interesting things around each corner at all. For example, when I set out one morning to walk from my apartment (western Castello) to Arsenale and further on east, I discovered a small campo with a church and before going back, I just wanted to peek around the corner to see what is there – and voila, I nearly collapsed of laughing: I had discovered the Questura of Commissario Brunetti’s TV series.
So what do I want to tell you here ? Those of you who are used to a good orientation wherever you are: you will most probably not really get lost. But it always pay off to peek around the corner and see which gems wait for you. So switch off your brain, and wander around without aim and goal – you will get lost without getting lost. Maybe this is the best way to describe this feeling :-)

Rialto-Bridge

by globetrott

On Canale Grande there are only 3 bridges - and RIALTO-bridge is certainly the most famous one.
. Rialtobridge is a partly covered bridge with plenty of souvenir-shops ON the bridge.
And it is also one of the places, every tourist wants to go...

...but streets to and around Rialto are rather small and narrow, so try to avoid to be in the area at times of "tourist-hours"

Carnevale

by OrlandoBR

The Venetian carnival has impressed me since the first time I saw those beautiful, funny, scary and expressive costumes and masks.

While walking along those narrow streets and canals, we cross several shops where they manufacture and sell those very cool masks. The artists craft them before our very eyes, but they don't like picture-taking!

Comments