B&B La Corte dei Dogi

B&B La Corte dei Dogi
Priceline.com Hotelsclick.com Booking.com

More about Venice

Skyscraper in the old Jewish GhettoSkyscraper in the old Jewish Ghetto

View on S. Marco from Punta della DoganaView on S. Marco from Punta della Dogana

GondolaGondola

la Scala d'Oro, ceilingla Scala d'Oro, ceiling

Shuttle Bus to Hypermarkets

by hawkhead

Surfing away on a myriad of Venice websites I came across the DK (Dorling Kindersley) website that says there are free shuttle buses from Piazzale Roma to various (3) hypermarkets on the mainland. I don't know how up-to-date this information is so: does anyone know if these shuttle buses still operate? Or how I could find out?

Re: Shuttle Bus to Hypermarkets

by gfinesilver

what kind of hypermarket?

one big one is called PANORAMA. during the day buses depart to there from piazzale roma at least every 40 minutes. it's just a regular bus stopping along the way but the shopping center is the final destination.
the person who works at your hotel should be able to tell you this. it ain't too difficult.

Re: Shuttle Bus to Hypermarkets

by hawkhead

Thanks for your answer - we have now been to Venice and back and can report: there is a FREE shuttle bus that departs every half hour more or less from Piazzalle Roma and goes directly to Panorama, no stops. There is no bus between 12.00-ish and 13.30-ish (Italian lunch time). However, we found Panorma to be very disappointing - I was expecting something at least as good as a big Asda in the UK but it is nothing at all approaching that. And, the prices are the same or more as in the smallish grocery stores/"supermarkets" in Venice itself. The INS store on the same site has better prices but less choice - not that the Panorma has a great choice. We were self-catering and found out about the shuttle bus from a flyer for Panorama which was put through the letter box. We were in Venice for five weeks, so the day "wasted" going to Panormam didn't really matter but I sure would have been a trifle miffed if I had spent the time to go there if I had only been in Venice for a week. More info re Venice to come in my Travel Pages in due course.

Travel Tips for Venice

February's Carnivale is...

by sargentjeff

February's Carnivale is incredible. There were tens of thousands of people here and the small streets were packed. The costumes were very elaborate. Venitians take this festival very seriously. The best things I liked were actually seeing the famous gondolas and streets of water. It was hard to imagine such a place, but it's there and waiting for you too.

Walk on Venice's streets....

by barcodex

Walk on Venice's streets. There are streets, that are combined with channels, and they are especially interesting. On this picture I sit on the channel's barrier and look at the water of channel. It is absolutely black, exactly like the Gondoles.

Venice - views from water bus #42

by Martin_S.

Well I think I have said this before...we were on the water bus and we do not know what this building was, Lorenzo and Alsi did not know and we did not know. Well I guess that means we will have to go back and visit Lorenzo and Asli again to check ^O^

In Vienna, it seemed that on...

by eleanorbueza

In Vienna, it seemed that on weekends, everyone walked around the First District eating ice cream, not any ordinary ice cream in a waffle cone, but a special kind: Italian Eis. So I thought I would try out Italian Eis, in Italy. Sure enough, Italian Eis tastes better in the homeland! Although I was in Venice for a short time, I did manage to speak some Italian: to order ice cream, be polite and first say, 'Buongiorno' (good day) and then say, 'Due gusti, per favore', which means two scoops please. Then you can point to the flavours you want and say the names in a fake Italian accent and ask how much it costs, 'Quanto costa?'. Say goodbye to the ice-cream lady by saying, 'Ciao!' or 'Arriva derci!' If by chance, you accidentally bump into a handsome Italian waiter on the way to the exit, say, 'Mi perdoni' or 'Mi scusi'. If you are lucky, he will say 'Si' when you ask him out ...

A Good Map Is Worth The Cost

by RoscoeGregg

Mapeasy's Guide to Venice is a great thing to have in your kit during a stay in Venice. It is printed on waterproof and almost indestructible paper. It is detailed and accurate. There is a ton of information on it.

It is designed to be traveler friendly and easy to use.

I do not work for the company or benefit in any way from this post.

Comments