Bellevue Suites St Mark Square

Hotels.com Expedia.com Venere.com

More about Venice

Ae Oche - Equine PizzaAe Oche - Equine Pizza

Gondola traffic in VeniceGondola traffic in Venice

Debs Ponte della Paglia and Ponte dei Sospiri 2010Debs Ponte della Paglia and Ponte dei Sospiri 2010

Piazza San Marco, Venice, ItalyPiazza San Marco, Venice, Italy

How much on average spending money will i need for 2-3 days in Venice?

by emmavictoria

My and my boyfriend are going to Venice for 3 nights for 21st birthday the end of march, as a univercity student I managed to save some money for spending,although my budget is obviously limited. How much would you recon would be enough, ive managed to save about £400,and my boyfriend has around £500. (this isnt including accommodation, that has all been payed for). I have taken into account such things as transportation, in which i plan to buy a venice 3 day ticket, which the way I see it would save me a lot of money as I plan to use the boats to travel a lot.
Any advice is helpful :)

by Maryimelda

If your combined savings (900 GBP)is to spend wholely and solely in Venice and you don't have to pay for accommodation out of that, then you have more than enough to have a whale of a time in Venice. Venice is not a cheap city by any means but you certainly wouldn't need any more than you have. Enjoy your trip.

by Aloe9678

You can have a great, great time in Venice for that amount. Venice is a beautiful city to just walk around, but you could splurge and have a meal a day at sunset in St. Mark's Square and still have money left over. Have a wonderful trip!

by leics

You have loads of money.

I spent around 30/40 euro per day absolute max, for entrances, food and drink (bar breakfast, which was included at my hotel).

Venice is very small and very, very walkable.....you can cross the whole city on foot in around an hour. So think whether you really need the 3-day ticket for the vaporetti: as a general rule you won't be using them to explore the city itself. I did not use them at all, because I simply did not need to do so.

by hawkhead

Agree with all the other posters, and in particular leics. I would question the need for a 3-day transportation pass. We were there for over a month and only used one 24-hour pass once. You can see Venice from the water but the true soul (if Venice has one and that is entirely another question) is to be found by walking around. Quite frankly, where we we located, which was very central, I would have found having a transportation pass to be a bit of a nuisance, as we could more easily walk to places and in much less time than taking the vaporetto to the same place. e.g. from Rialto to St Mark's. You will have loads of money to spend and I think, unless you really push the boat out, you will come home without having spent all your £900 budget. Gosh, that's £300 per day, excluding accommodation!!

Travel Tips for Venice

Venice carnival, and...

by Massimo

Venice....is like a Dream. A dream to live for short time, because like other travel, you want keep a idea.
Especialy in the Carnival you can do it!! Infact is the moment all people dress a Mask an make joke, Drink,.......drink more.
I think anyway all dipend to you, if you want really enjoy.

Lack of Supermarkets

by kph100

From walking around most of the city in 4 days there seemed to be limited number of supermarkets, and the one we went in was quite limited as to its contents.
But i guess that its nearly all tourists live in Venice in hotels, all the locals live on the mainland.

There is however a good grocery market and fish market on a morning in campo Della Pesceria which is not far from Rialto bridge.

We also saw this grocery boat moored in the San Polo district.

(The) I sestiere – Venezia’s quarters

by Trekki

More than 100 islands form Venezia (well, the centro storico). Everyone says that the city looks like a big fish (the tail would be in the east), but for me it resembles more the shape of Italy’s boot. Anyhow, the city is divided into 6 districts. Each of these districs or sestieri does have its very own characteristic atmosphere and it definitely pays to see each of them and not only stumble around in San Marco.
Let me start with San Polo and Santa Croce, two sestieri which mix into each other on the south western banks of Canal Grande. It was here where Venezia has her roots, at rivo alto and where today the daily life is maybe pulsating most. Only a few steps away from Ponte Rialto are excellent food stalls with delicious and fresh products from the islands (ah, sh*t, I forgot to buy that cheese – haha, next time). These sestieri are also the city’s most tightly inhabited areas.
South of these sestieri, Dorsoduro waits with popular and marvellous art collections of L’Accademia and Peggy Guggenheim Museum. But this sestiere has much more to offer: cheap cafes, bars and restaurants along Zattere, very atmospheric tiny streets along the small canale, where you are practically alone when wandering around, the famous Campo S. Margherita and Campo San Barnaba with nice bars to drop down for a drink.
Castello is my favourite sestiere. A lot of marvellous churches and historical buildings are here, such as Zanipolo church (chiesa SS Giovanni e Paolo) or L’Arsenale and its fabulous entrance portal. In the east is Isola San Pietro, one of the most quiet and relaxing spots I found. And of course, Giardini Pubblici and the areal of Biennale invite to stroll around under shady trees. The most diverse sestiere is maybe Canaregio (or Cannaregio in Italian). Its south is lined with shops and restaurants along Strada Nova, but the north west is a very much local resident area. Not with the splendour of the palazzi left and right of Canal Grande, but well, splendour isn’t all. This part of Canaregio I liked very much, it was quiet to walk along the tiny streets, I didn’t meet any foreigner there and the coffees and Spritz I had there were very much reasonable.
And finally – San Marco. It was the centre of Venezia’s old days, the seat of power and religion with Palazzo Ducale and Basilica San Marco. And it seems to be still the centre of power and religion, the most expensive and overpriced shops and restaurants can be found here and the Eurodisney tourists come in herds like pilgrims to Piazza San Marco. But now enough with my sarcasm, only an ignorant idiot can withdraw from the charm and harmony and magic beauty of this ensemble of Piazza, Palazzo Ducale and Basilica San Marco. They emanate eternal beauty and I found myself roaming around the buildings almost day and night, when I was close by. Often I realised that my feet brought me there without my brain intending to do so. San Marco is the sestiere with so many famous buildings like the opera house La Fenice, the palace and stairs of Contarini del Bovolo and Campo San Stefano.

In my to-do and off-path sections (if I ever arrive there, lol), I will describe the beauties I saw in detail and hopefully I can convince at least some of my readers to spend not only “the obligatory” 1 day in La Serenissima, but stay longer and get same bewitched as she got me - in love forever.

FESTIVAL MADONNA DELLA SALUTE

by rocee

We were in Venice for this festival two years ago. It is mostly a religious Venetian "thing," the purpose of which is to give thanks for the end of the 1630 plague after which the basilica was built and to pray for good health in the coming year. There are various masses held througout the day. There are candle-sellers out front. You buy a candle for a couple of euros, go inside the basilica where an attendant lights it and places it with other candles. We went about 10 am and it was a mob-scene, you couldn't move! It might not be so bad at other times of the day. Around the back of the basilica there is a street fair with food stalls, balloon-sellers, that sort of thing. There are no parades, as far as I know, nor any fireworks at night (like the Redentore Festival in mid-July). The one "special" thing they do is to put up a temporary bridge across the Grand Canal, and there is a traditional dish prepared that day. Although I didn't think it was anything special - I much preferred the Festa Della Sensa (held in late May/early June) celebrating Venice's marriage with the sea with a parade of boats out to the Lido and the ceremony - it was a interesting experience.

Briccole

by sandysmith

I'm sure you'll have noticed all those poles in the venetian lagoon, marking out safe chanels deep enough for the boats to navigate through. Ever wondered what they are called? well thery are called"briccole", and are made of wood of False Acacia (or Locust-Tree, "robinia" in Italian). No better material has been found for them, things like concrete don't last much in these waters. They made at atmospheric shot at sunset don't you think :-)

Comments