Berlino Hotel Venice

More about Venice

Jazz Club 900Jazz Club 900

Near Piazza San Marco at high tideNear Piazza San Marco at high tide

Sunset from the VaparettoSunset from the Vaparetto

S. Giorgio Maggiore from Piazza San Marco, Nov 05S. Giorgio Maggiore from Piazza San Marco, Nov 05

Day-trips from Venice and Venice Card

by Jefie

Hi! I know that there is no right or wrong answer to the question I'm about to ask, but I'd love to hear the opinion of VTers: If you had time to go on only one day-trip from Venice, would you pick Padua, Vicenza or the Lagoon Islands (and if so, which islands) and why?

Also, I've read about a card that gives you access to different sites and museums, but I can't seem to find a Website for it. Does anyone have the link?

Thanks!

by tango_jd

Depending on your length of stay in Venice, you ought to be able to get the Vaporetto to Murano and Burano easily enough in a day and still be back to St Marks Square by dinner time!
We "did" those two plus the cemetary island and the smaller Torcello all in a day - although we don't go much for museums etc which would have meant spending longer had we visited them all. We still got to see the crooked towers, coloured houses, glass studios of Murano/Burano etc etc.
Just plan the Vaporetto route out and do it that way.

by bekerovka

Hy,
all about Venice card: http://www.hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/index/index.jsp
For a day trip, lagoon islands are good but also Verona is a very romantic town,IMO.
Ciao, Marco

by zacchio

As usual....depending what are you looking for!
but I can suggest to you to take a look here:
From Venice to Padova by boat through the channel to see "ville venete"
in a journey between pleasure and history.
Take I look, could be something really different.
Ciao!

by bekerovka

Bell'idea, Mauro. Mi hai dato un bel input per Pasquetta. Grazie.
Ciao, Marco

by Jefie

Thank you all for the links, we'll see how much we can squeeze into our few days in Venice!

Marco - we're also spending a couple days in Verona :o)

by leics

You might also consider the Chorus Pass, which will give you free entrance to 16 Venice churches (most of which have fantastic art inside).

You can simply buy the pass at the first church on its list that you come to:

by zacchio

E' una figata, vedrai se il tempo è buono
ciao!

by kathymof

Personally I have been to all the places you mention, and even though you don't mention it, I think I actually liked my trip to Treviso the best. It is a short train ride from Venice and is actually very charming and interesting to walk around in. After that I would suggest Padua which also has some wonderful places to visit.

Travel Tips for Venice

Sunsets

by antistar

There's something about the mix of acres of water, innumerable beautiful buildings, and a soft mediteranean air that gives Venice some of the most consistently amazing sunsets I have ever seen in Europe. One of my earliest visions of Venice was from a painting my brother made from a visit there as a teenager, one that has hung in my father's home longer than I can remember. The painting was a view of the Church of Zitelle seen from the promenade in front of St Mark's Square silouetted against a deep red sunset.

What must be nearly a quarter of a century later I come to the city myself and see the exact same sunset from the exact same spot. Not only that but there were grand sunsets each and every one of the five nights I was in the city. You can see this view of the Church of Zitelle at sunset on my main Venice page, but there were a few more shots attached here.

Rialto Bridge

by Aggeliki

The Rialto stone bridge, 48 m long and 22 m wide, offers one of the most beautiful views of the Grand Canal, Venice’s main water thoroughfare, with an uninterrupted series of palaces and churches facing the canal along its entire 4-km length.

strolling along alleys!

by zheyy

I like those alleys so much! Taking boat is a way to experience Venice, but walking in alleys can bring different feelings.
Those alleys are just like a net, if you don't see the map from time to time, you are easily to get lost :). Well, it's also an interesting experience.
I like walking in narrow alleys without any destination. Many wonderful places just come out one by one along the road...small bakery, lovely Cafe, old decoration shop...I found one hand-made paper shop. They are still making paper in traditional way and style. So beautiful! You can see many nice letter paper, note book, cards...One card I bought there is still laying in my drawer now, beautiful as my memories....

Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore

by sim1

There is a beautiful church on the little island of San Giorgio Maggiore, which was designed by the great Renaissance architect Palladio. Unfortunately I didn't see the church itself, but only this view from a distance. There is so much to see in Venice, that it is impossible to see it all.

A nice thing to do is to take the elevator (for 2.50€) to the top of the belfry. The view from here must be great. You can see the greenery of the island itself, the lagoon, and the Doge's Palace across the way.

St.Marc's Dome / Marcusdom...

by globetrott

St.Marc's Dome / Marcusdom

the church may be visited at certain times free of charge, but to enter the 'Tesoro' (tresury) or the roof with the famous 4 horses, you have to pay en extra fee.

I took this picture from a balcony, just behind the 4 horses.

Comments