Calle degli Specchieri 463, San Marco, Venice, Veneto, 30124, Italy

Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Costs 55% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• neilward's Profile Photo

Nice looking place

As I said in my Panada tip,this would've been a lovely place to stay.
    I booked it through www.expedia.co.uk and had read some great reviews about the breakfasts and rooms.
    Perhaps next time ???!!!

Unique Quality: Great location for everything.

More about Best Western Montecarlo

by TripAdvisor Member zussinek

My husband and I stayed at this hotel Oct 16-18. We had read all the reviews on tripadvisor.com, and chose it when all the other hotels rated more highly were sold out. It is well located, very close to the Piazzo San Marco. The room itself was a good size for most European properties, and was outfitted with typical Florentine furniture, TV and radio. The bathroom had a shower/bath configuration and only a sink, few amenities, and no place to put a razor, makeup, or other sundries. Breakfast was served in a cramped but pleasant parlour, and included cheese, yoghurt, dry cereal, plain toast bread, and tepid cappuccino. Service was pleasant throughout, with helpful suggestions to local restaurants. I found the hotel generally lacklustre and pricey at Euros 215. But, apparently, that's what one gets in Venice for that price. My suggestion is to look into other properties with higher ratings well in advance of your trip so that you can get a better bang for your buck. If that fails, the Best Western Montecarlo certainly is a good, clean, well-positioned alternative.

A fantastic location but the size of the rooms!!!

by TripAdvisor Member avidtraveller

We stayed at the Best Western Montecarlo in August 04. The location is perfect, just near St. Marks Square, however in our case we were given a room which was as big as a walkin closet. Must say it was clean as was the bathroom. Breakfast was excellent as were the front desk staff. We lost our luggage between Paris and Venice with the airline - the staff at the Montecarlo followed it up for us and kept us informed on when it would be arriving - the day we left Venice!!! Hotel staff were very helpful. Given that it was clean and very handy to the sights, we would stay there again.

What a find

This was by far the best hotel in our three weeks overseas. The room was big and beautifully furnished, the staff were very helpful and pleasant and we had the best breakfast in this hotel than we had in all our time away. We were 50 metres from St Mark's Square and it was just the best. Do yourself a favour and stay here you won't be disappointed.

Loved it!! had an excellent weekend

by TripAdvisor Member tishtoshtash

We have just returned from the Monte Carlo in Venice. Having stayed there for the whole weekend I have nothing but compliments for the hotel and its staff, you were made to feel welcome as soon as you arrived, the rooms were gorgeous! (they were quite small but the venitian decor made up for it in a big way!) It is situated about 50 meters away from St Marks Square which is an ideal location to be in! I do have one tip though... Venice is very expensive wherever you go so make sure you take lots of money!
I would definitely return to this hotel.

Great Location, Comfy Accomodations

by TripAdvisor Member BonnieND

We stayed for 2 nights June 7-8, 2004. The staff was friendly, helpful and spoke great English. The rooms were exceptionally clean. The bathroom was good size (for Europe) and included a hair dryer. Breakfast offered a wide variety, including eggs and sausage.
The location was perfect for major sights like St. Mark's and the Doge's Palace, as well as restaurants and shopping. Only a 5-minute walk to the water taxi stop.
30 minutes by water taxi from the Train Station.
We felt very safe walking around near the hotel even late at night.

Lived Up To Expectations

We stayed two nights prior to leaving on our cruise from Venice to Barcelona and had three big pieces of luggage so it was quite the experience wheeling it from the water taxi stop at the S. Marco Square boat dock to the Hotel but that's what you have to do - everyone does it. The accommodations were really cosy with a 17th century motife topped off with Murano Glass lamps and ceiling fixtures. The bathroom was very nice and the shower was perfect - I'm 6"4", 250 lbs. and I had no problems. Breakfast was superb, hot and tasty and the tables were always clean and ready for you - much like the Hampton Inns in the USA but with linen service. Avoid the hotels offer to get you a free ride over to Murano Island for the glassblowing etc. it was a real time waster for those that did it - go on your own by Vaporetto and walk at your own pace.

The thing we found to be amazing was that the street the hotel is on is only about 5' wide so when you are hauling your luggage (you better have wheels) there may be someone trying to wheel their produce cart or whatever past you. Remember, everything consumed, worn or whatever is brought into the stores by small barrows or two wheel carts. It is absolutely amazing how everything and everyone move along so well.

We found coming from the airport that taking the water taxi service (not the small water taxis which are very expensive) from the airport site was best because it goes straight to S. Marco. If you take the bus into Pizalle Roma you will have to manage your luggage onto the public Vaporetto which if crowded could give you fits.

One tip, if you are arriving at the airport you must purchase your ticket BEFORE you get to the door to leave the building - there is a small magazine shop to your left and the ticket booth is hidden behind but the staff are very nice and speak english. There is free bus service to take you over to the dock where you will get the taxi.

The two or three day Vaporetto passes are great deals letting you get on and off at will at any stop without having to repurchase each time. They go to all the islands close by.

Have fun.

The worst hotel we have ever stayed in.

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights in July 2004. It was by far the worst (and only negative) experience of our 3 week holiday in Europe. Lucky those who actually had a nice experience here.

Pros:
- Location was central; close to water-bus station and extremely close to Piazza S. Marco.
- Concierge was quite helpful and friendly - although be forwarned that when they offer you a "free tour of the Murano glass factory", it's just a ride to the factory and a high pressure sales pitch at the VERY expensive glass shop. They fail to tell you that you're on your own to get back to the hotel...it's a one way ride.
- The breakfast is okay

Cons (where to start):
- At 160 Euros a night, the room was EXTREMELY dark and dingy, even by European standards.
- The very low celings and shuttered windows made the room seem like a prison
- There were dead mosquitos plastered all over the walls
- The AC shot out extremely dirty, stale, damp air into the room, directly above the bed. Turning it off would mean opening the shutters to the swarm of mosquitos.
- The bathroom was so small that one person was not even comfortable there. The floor was dirty (thank goodness for flipflops)
- The bedspread was filthy
- The floor was dirty
- The TV was useless (not even 1 channel of anything)
- The filthy re-circulated air actually made me sick to my stomach on the morning we checked out

Seriously, check out the area and stay at another hotel...anything would be better than this. We stayed at 7 other hotels during our trip and all cost the same if not cheaper, and all were lovely and places I would return to again.

Charming place - best of our trip

What a relief this was -once you find it you will see how very close you are to St. Mark's Square.

BUT getting there wasn't easy. I had no idea there were TWO consecutive vaporetto stops with a platform called SAN MARCO - if you take the one closer to LIDO you will have to walk with luggage over 2 bridges (rather steep steps when carrying luggage). The kind gentleman staffing the Montecarlo's front desk clued me in to take the OTHER stop - one stop farther into the Grand Canal and thus avoid any bridges. Since I had to bring my mother in wheelchair, this was crucial info and much appreciated. He was exactly right and precisely accurate in giving directions to enter thru the back of the St Marks Square and turn into the tiny walkways they call streets up near the Cathedral entrance.

We paid a little more for the DELUXE accommodations and we got something smallish but deluxe - Murano chandelier. Very nice robes. Very nice bathroom. TV and AC were fine.

AND - we could see the onion domes of St Marks AND the clock tower from our window!! Hearing the chimes certainly added to the charm. Windows had those classic old VERY thick shutters to keep out all the light and noise in morning.

Breakfast room was great - more Murano glass and satin tapestry finished fabric on chairs matched that of the wallpaper. Nice pleasant service - you can ask for hot chocolate or any hot beverage and your very own teapot is served to you. WONDERFUL selections of apricot croissants, cheeses, good eggs and meats, yogurt, breads, cereals, fresh juices -- oo la la - sorry I dont know the Italian equivalent. This was the best breakfast room we found in Italy.

I took the Murano boat tour - and really enjoyed it. They let me take photos of the artists working with the molten glass, explained the process, answered my questions, and then led me into the showrooms which ranged from Getty or Gates priced items to those that I could afford to bring home to folks. Wasnt thrilled that the ride home seemed to evaporate but this was no big deal as they explained the stop was just down the block. And really I did want to walk around Murano a bit rather than just be taken right back to the hotel. Having purchased vaporetto passes it wasnt a big deal and I felt pampered to be taken over in a mahogany slip.

NOTE on the boat passes - we goofed in paying extra for the ones that include the toilet access - we never found ONE toilet that we could use with the darned things so skip that little bit of a tourist trap and just get the ones for the vaporetti.

Great staff, great food, INCOMPARABLE location, decent rates thru the Best Western website - and we earned enuf points by staying there and a BW in Rome that we had free nites when we got home.

ABSOLUTELY would stay there again and again should I be so lucky - wonderful area to stroll in and shop and eat. And the dueling orchestras just two short blocks away- what a charming place.

Cosy , Clean and Friendly

We spent three lovely days in Venice. The hotel was cosy, clean and very friendly. We spent a weekend in a 4* central hotel in Rome and it was much smaller, darker and very unfriendly. The Montecarlo was a tonic. The room was charming with its Venetian decor. I would certainly recommend it and Venice.

Feedback on Best Western Hotel Montecarlo and otheer questions - Venice

Friends:

We are landing from Florence by Train into Venice..and are staying at the Best Western Hotel Montecarlo. The hotel is located at
Calle Specchiere 463 San Marco

First timer to Venice so few questions:
1> Any feedback on the hotel? Good, OK, not recommended?
2> How often do Vaporettos ruun from the Station to St Marco square? Is it line 1 or line 82?
3> We are there for 24 hours - any recommendations on the best use of time - am not interested in the local museums but more to explore the city and islands on foot and vaporettos.
4> I have a train to salzburg from Venice - how ling does it take from the hotel to the station; so ensure I don't miss the train?
5> Is Venice really very crowded at this time of the year? I'll be there on 1st of september.

Thanks.

by JoeNYC

1. Never stayed at the hotel but went by it. Looks nice and is in a good location. Might be noisey from the street noise but most hotels can be.
2. They run very often. At least every 10 or 15 minutes during the day. Many of them run from the train to San Marco, both 1 and 82 do.
3. It's easy to at least see most of the sites in 24 hrs. I'd just walk around San Marco and take a ride up and down the Grand Canal (which you do also to get to and from your hotel. Go to the top of the tower in San Marco if the line isn't too long and see everything from above.
4. I had to do the exact same thing. I'd give yourself at least 45 minutes just to be safe.
5. Yes. It's always very crowed. It's not a lie that everyone says that.

RE: RE: Feedback on Best Western Hotel Montecarlo and otheer questions - Venice

by saumilgandhi

Thanks for the response - is there a way to buy the 24 hr pass of the web or is this something one needs to buy at the Vaporetto stop locally in Venice?

by pvs

Stay at San Marco square. It is great. Buy 24 hr pass at any of the vap stations. Go visit Murano and Burano islands...

by Dash_Kairo

hey!

not sure about the hotel..went venice last year...i would reccommend the islands near venice, a lush boat ride with equally nice sea food and doilies (if you like that sort of thing!)

enjoy!

by fipol

Hi!
BW Hotel Montecarlo is nice. Managers Stefano and Massimo will make your stay in VCE a nice one.

Enter www.venicecard.com and buy on line the 1-3 or 7 days pass for transportation and entry to major museums.

Ciao

RE: RE: Feedback on Best Western Hotel Montecarlo and otheer questions - Venice

by saumilgandhi

so the transportation pass is also applicable to all Vaparettos as well?

Comments