Bortolo 2

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Venice

Taking a gondola ride along the canals of Venice!Taking a gondola ride along the canals of Venice!

Doge's PalaceDoge's Palace

Schedule boardSchedule board

Bright coloured welliesBright coloured wellies

In Laguna da Toni

by TRimer

My parents are going with a bunch of their friends to Venice for my mom's 70th. One of her friends insists on checking out this restaurant "In Laguna da Toni" since they read a review in the NY Times from 2008. So my question is has anyone been there? Is it any good? Still in business? Is it worth the trek? These people like great food (are from NY area).

by domenicococozza

Been there, done it.
This place is nothing more than a fishing shack stuck in the middle of nowhere, between Torcello and Burano islands.
Everything served is super fresh and you only get what the owner has caught in his net.
The problem is getting there and back again - there are no normal services(at least, none I'm aware of).
We were lucky enough to have gone there with a Venetian friend in his own little power boat.
The food is very inexpensive, but you will probably have to use the services of a water taxi each way - this will be expensive.

by Billy16

Don't know if this is any help to you, we celebrated my wifes 50th birthday in August last year sitting on the platform overlooking the lagoon.

The setting, service and food were of the highest quality.

It was so good we are going back next month.

Regards,

Billy

by lee.evelyn

Have look at the above. It lists a phone number and says 35 euro for a 7 course menu including boat transportation

I agree with Billy 16, The Algiubagio's food and service is of the highest quality

I had lunch there and dinner during my last visit to Venice in May this year, I liked it so much.

by domenicococozza

Aha,
So the old shack isn't being used any more.
I'm not surprised - it was on it's last legs 10 years ago.

Travel Tips for Venice

The rising water

by venteeocho

In the fall, especially in October and November, it very often happens that the tide rises and the water overflows the banks of the canals, flooding the city: the foundations, the alleyways, the fields, the ground floor of the houses, the churches and the shops. The rising water is a problem for the Venetians but it is an unusual, exciting experience for tourists as it is a unique event. Seeing Piazza San Marco flooded by a still lake of water is most certainly a unique, magical moment, which has been immortalized several times over the years by famous photographers.

Make a point of lingering in...

by cikku

Make a point of lingering in Venice well into the night. This unique city comes to life in the evening and all the lights shining on the canals makes it an unforgettable experience. My fondest memory is walking along the narrow streets and lanes and discovering little nookes and crannies that I never knew existed.

Grand Canal

by seagoingJLW

Hire a gondola and explore the canals. Every year for centuries a special ceremony took place to reaffirm the importance of Venice's maritime commerce. A procession of gilded barges would proceed along the Grand Canal. On board would be the Doge as well as council members and church officials. The Doge would drop a gold ring into the water along the way to symbolize that Venice was forever wedded to the sea.

Venice...

by sim1

Venice... I have heard so many different opinions on this city, some love it, and some don't. And I have to admit that I have always been sceptical about this city.... I felt it was like a tourist trap, and that I wouldn't like it at all.... hmmm, but not anymore! I surrender..... Venice is magical!

I've visited Italy several times, making a roundtrip in most cases, but never did go to Venice itself. Yes, it appealed to me somehow to go here, but on the other hand.... it just wasn't 'it'... hahaha, well, that was what I thought! But in November 2001 I got another chance to visit Italy, because I was going to the VT-meeting in Bergamo. But going to Italy for just one weekend didn't seem right. Hahaha, so I extended into a full week, including Venice in my trip. And I don't regret that for one minute!

Canals

by sandysmith

Venice of course is built on water and has hundred of canals. There used to be more but over the years some have ben filled in to widen the streets or calles of Venice. Keep a look out low down to the ground and you will see the evidence in the architecture - arches bricked up! These filled in canals are called Rio terra.

Comments