Carlton And Grand Canal Hotel Venice

Booking.com Venere.com Orbitz.com

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• marie&ariel's Profile Photo

Excellent location-great hotel!

We were very pleased with the location, right on the Grand Canal. The hotel is very nice, elegant looking, the hallways are narrow but the rooms are a very comfortable size. The decor in the rooms seemed right out of a movie. The bathrooms were huge and modern. Even though we didn't have a view to the Grand Canal, we coudl have not asked for anything else. Very pleased and impressed with the hotel.

Unique Quality: The only complain I have was the breakfast. The milk was bad (sour) and the eggs very very runy. The coffee was bad too. Their breakfast needs help.

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Worth The Money?

Hotel Carlton Excelsior (or Executive, or Carlton & Grand Canal...) The hotels seem to change their names more often than they change their signs.
    341 Euro per night for a double room, including breakfast.

Unique Quality: Nice hotel, good location (handy for railway & Piazzale Roma (busses & cars))

Directions: Right on The Grand Canal opposite the railway station.

More about Carlton And Grand Canal Hotel Venice

Nice hotel terrible breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member Edinburghtraveller

We stayed here for four days in May 2004. We paid extra for a canal view room, slightly noisy by day but water buses stop early enough not to interfere with sleep, and it was lovely to wake up and look out over the canal in the morning. We took a water taxi from the airport, 80euros, which was lovely but economised by taking the bus back to the airport from Piazzale Roma (2 Euros), an easy walk form the holtel even with a suitcase.
Venice is expensive and this hotel was not cheap. The room was small but adequate and bathroom nice with good quality toiletries. The breakfast, however was a big disappointment, tinned fruit, ham from a packet, eggs which looked like they had been cooked the night before and the only stale bread I have ever experienced in Italy. Oh, and DIY coffee from machines. Good for the waistline though as no temptation to overindulge.
We thought we would have been better to stay slightly nearer San Marco and the action. Plenty of water buses, but slow. We walked mostly, until defeated by aching feet.
Venice is beautiful and nothing can spoil that. Would go back to this hotel but would try to get a deal without breakfast and eat elsehwere.

Terrible location

by TripAdvisor Member Denver007

I really have no idea why people were saying on this website that the Carlton & Grand is in a good location. It is very far from St. Mark's square and the Rialto bridge. It is also dirty, expensive, and the hotel staff is unpleasant. I would not recommend staying at this hotel.

Loved it!!

by TripAdvisor Member Mickeym0use

The hotel is beautiful. It is right on the water, by a beatiful bridge. There are plenty of good reasonable restaurants near by, as well as many shops. The room was very pretty and clean. It was absolutely amazing. Right outside the hotel is where one could get the gondolas. I can't say enough about Venice. It is surreal. The hotel and the place were something dreams are made of. Enjoy!!

Beautiful hotel

I really enjoyed this hotel from the rooms to the location and the food. The location was great because it was right on the canal and you have direct access to the vaporetti(water bus)and the water taxi's. Of course in Venice everything is mainly water and there is alot of walking involoved but it's a beautiful city! This hotel is in the process of being remodeled and I can see it will turn out to be much better than what it is today. I would definitely stay here again.

Worst 4-Star hotel in Europe

We stayed in the Carlton's top level suite for four nights during our September honeymoon. I expected much more than I received. The view from the Carlton is not what one would hope for or even expect. On the canal side of the hotel you have the main ferry station to the left and the very modern train station directly across the canal. It is definitely not a view of historic Venice...as I was (mis)led to believe. Additionally, the staff at the Carlton may be the most arrogant and incompetent staff of any 4-star hotel in Europe. Despite the price of our room for four nights (~$1600) we received nothing but indifference from the staff and even outright rudeness. When check out time came, the staff messed up my credit card and then proceeded to run it five consecutive times causing the bank to freeze the card. They then proceeded to argue with me that this was my fault. Long story short, it was not my fault; it was the Carlton's fault. I would not stay at this hotel again if you paid me to. Buyer beware here...stay away from the Carlton.

Generally OK, but....

Stayed a week Sept. ' 04. Canal view room a mixed blessing: good people-watching during the day but light sleepers pay a price at night. Room small but adequate. Breakfast choices uninspired but adequate...service a bit spotty. Can walk to Rialto(15 mins.) and San Marco(20 mins.) OK. Location so-so. No noise from train station opposite. Front desk prompt and responsive. Room housekeeping good. Hotel still undergoing renovations.

good and bad, you decide

There are some +'s and -'s at this hotel. It is conveinent to the train station, which was nice for us, considering we could walk (taxi's can be expensive). Although lugging our luggage over the Scalzi was not fun at 9:00 pm. You cannot hear the train traffic, because all the water traffic drowns it out. It is not a quite hotel if your room is on the canal. On the good side, the rooms are clean and decorated nicely. The rooms are being renovated currently, to be even nicer. The canal does not smell (which I had been told by other travelers) but do watch out for mosquitoes. We made the mistake of leaving our windows open during the day, which let in the mosquitoes. But, we had a lovely room with a balcony to people watch. I would recommend this hotel to other travelers.

Comments