Casa Linger

Ca'Sa Linger
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

• wilocrek's Profile Photo

Great Location and Price!

I stayed two nights Feb. 2008. The hotel was very clean and basic. The location was the selling point for me. Its right by San Marco Square, about five minutes away if that. Its also easy to get to from the train station. Just take the water ferry to the San Zacharria stop and its very close from there. I paid 27 euro a night for a shared bedroom that had four beds, but because it wasnt busy they gave me my own room at no extra charge. I would highly recommend this hostel for the budget traveler as the price is excellent considering its location and the accomodations were more than adequete. There was also a mini market next door that helped with the budget as well. Cokes for a euro and sandwiches for 2 euro.

Directions: Take water ferry to San Zacharria stop at San Marco Sq. Turn right, cross three small bridges. Take first street on your left, Calle Dose. That will lead into a plaza. Take the far right hand corner exit from plaza, you will see Casa Linger on left.

• ajukeboxcupid's Profile Photo

Good if you're on a budget

I stayed in this hostel for two nights in the beginning of December '06. I had arrived into Venice very late the first night due to flight difficulties, but the directions I had received on how to get to the hostel were pretty clear. Once I got off on the right water bus stop, I got a little lost, so I called the hostel, and the gentleman manning the desk for the night told me to stay right where I was and he would come meet me. Once he met up with me, we walked back to the hostel together (the directions were easy from there), talked for a bit (he was very friendly), got checked in and called it a night. On the hostel booking website, I believe I had booked a shared room; however, when I got there, I got a single room instead, so that was nice. It was basically just a room with a bed and some furniture; the bathroom was shared and it was on the floor above me.

The next morning I began my tour of Venice. The hostel was in the perfect location. I just began walking alongside the Grand Canal and within minutes got to the Piazza San Marco. From there, as long as you have a map, you can get anywhere you want to go in Venice via walking or water bus stop (I'd suggest getting a 24-hour pass for the water bus).

I spent another night there - it was easy to fall asleep (no noise, lights, or other distractions). The next morning I used the bathroom to take a shower. It was a little difficult, like staying at any other accommodation with a shared bathroom, because a line of a couple people began forming. Eventually, I was able to take my shower. It had to be brief and you had to remember to bring with you everything you would need. I checked out shortly thereafter by leaving my key with the person at the front desk and was on my way.

Unique Quality: Nothing really unique... it gets the job done for people who are traveling on a budget, like I was. The only thing is that it's not in an obvious location, so I would make sure to get more detailed directions than the ones listed on any of the hostel booking sites.

Directions: In the area between the San Zaccaria and Arsenale water bus stops.

• sinoda's Profile Photo

35'C and no aircon

at first room #7 looks cosy with a huge bed, a tap and a sink and even a ventilator on the ceiling.

There it stops!

Now imagine 35'C, you have been walking your feet into a state even Oedipus would have to fear for his dear name, coming to the hostel and find a major queue to the shower...

As a matter of fact the wc and the shower are in the same room, so if the loo is occupied so is the shower.

I know I know, I should be glad there was a shower after all or why didn't I find a room with shower and wc? OK, you besserwisser. There were none left and if, they easily would have costed at least triple. Anyway, once it is your turn you find the shower all soaked and steamy like a hamam. No way, my friend.

After all, at some stage you find yourself in bed, the ventilator almost airborne and you eventually almost falling asleep, you hear this tiny little noise, niiiiiiii-iiiiiiii-iiiiiii in your ear and before you can hit the light like Muhammed Ali the blood-thirsty beast has stung its nose deep into your flesh....

I think by now you must have guessed it wasn't really an overwhelming experience for me and maybe I am letting off some steam here, but come on, you've been there too, you know what it is like...

Unique Quality: This is a fact and an absolutely positive one. It takes only 5mins walk to the P S Marco....

Directions: Castello

• jcm6wc's Profile Photo

Very convenient location

It's a very small hostel located only minutes away from St Mark's Square in the Castello district. You don't want to pay a very expensive hostel when you will actually spend your time walking and discovering Venice. We tried to see as much as possible, so hostel was only for a few hours of sleep.

Unique Quality: Only a clean room. Confortable to rest and sleep. Very helpful staff. An affordable price.

Directions: You can't miss it. From St Mark's Square keep going east and count four little bridges. Make a left on Dose Street. Go few more feet straight to a little square. Cross the square, the hostel will be turning left only few more steps.

More about Casa Linger

casual pics

by sinoda

"a different Italian city"

Venice is not your casual Italian city. It really differs in quite many ways.

First of all and obviousmost is its unique location and bond to the sea. Being long a undependent city state Venice had gathered great richeness and glorious status through an imported hero Marco Polo, which still today reflects on its reputation through out the world.

So it is understandable that the Venetian version of Italian (dialect) differs to some extent from the main Italian not only in vocabulary but pronunciation as well.

Of course the lack of real streets has an effect on the audible perception of the city: you won't be bothered by both cars and their noise. You will appreciate this fact.

And an absolute advantage is the peace minded Venetian who has not the same aggressive and arrogant behavioural pattern of ie a Roman (again, I am slightly exaggerating and generalising). But you will certainly have made similar observations...

"Architecture"

although I am no scholar of architecture I still am interested in this subject, so you will excuse my (possibly) occasional (mis)interpretations.

But as I larned back in grammar school gothic windows will usual have a pointy arch, where as roma style is more or less round. Therefore I guess that a great part of the windows in Venice are of Gothic origin (in style). But I am wondering that there is little evindence of the influence of Renaissance, (?). It seems as if there is an abundance in Gothic architecture.

Anyways the buildongs seems to be quite uniform in style, I guess that is the point I am trying to make...

"Bridge of sighs"

from the level beneath the bridge.

This dungeonish jail building gives me really the creeps. No place for pleasurfull chil-out.

"dogs and cats"

I didn't encounter any "wild" street dogs or cats - all had collars, looked well fed and content.

I think this particular dog had some serious problems with its waist, for it had its legs spread out to either side in this ver position. To me this does not look too healthy.

"coulours"

well, I guess this is feature most of the Mediterranean countries share: colourfully painted houses. And when I say colourful I mean strong and thick colours, no pastel and bleached-pale colours.

Especially red and blue would strike my eyes most - like on the picture.

BTW - can anyone confirm my vague feeling that the window style has its origins in the Ottoman / Arabic culture?

"omnipotente"

this is a neat door I found just opposite to my dwellings: hostel Casa Linger.

Skilful smith's work: polished iron, with lots of interesting details, but most striking is the eye inside a sun.

Rather creepy actually, but really nice.

"tourist trap?"

I guess so, or if you go the cash (pea nuts) to spend on this luxury, sure go ahead - tell me how it was.

Can all the gondolieri sing? A myth? Can they actually shut up, when needed, when you want to enjoy your romantic trip?

hmmmm, maybe I am just jealous I couldn't afford it, or would rather spend the money on quality wine...

"Vivaldi in Venice"

High culture in Venice

Just close to bridge over to Accademia is the chiesa S Stefano where Vivaldi's 4 seasons were performed. I was pleased by the concert, indeed. Very good string work an fabulous first violins.

Classical music really suits this city!

All in all, Venice is a visit worth, for sure. It just depends on what you make of it, and maybe your limited financial resources, for expensive it can get.

Cheap or reasonable hostel or pension?

by marriednmadrid

Does anyone have suggestions for some low-priced or reasonable hostels or pensions on the island of Venice?
I have friends traveling there in March 18-21 and they want to stay in the main area.
Appreciate any help

Try http://www.santafosca.com/statiche/ostello/servizi.asp

by repleo

Hosteling International

by venice13

www.hotelalleon.com is 1 block from St. Marco Sq. They are inexpensive, but you get a lot of value. I love it there. The service is great. Last minute deals are the cheapest with them. Just check out the web site when you have a chance.

by wilocrek

I just barely stayed at Casa Linger. They are right by San Marco Square. I paid 27 euro a night for a four bed room. But they were not busy so they gave me a room to myself, I wouldnt be surprised if they did the same for you. www.hotelcasalinger.com or info@hotelcasalinger.com The location was great and literally just a five minute walk from San Marco, there is a mini market right next door as well that was convienent. Hope it helps, email me if you have any other questions!

Comments