Casa Santa Maria Formosa Hotel Venice

Castello 5841, Fondamenta dei Preti, Venice, Veneto, 30122, Italy

More about Casa Santa Maria Formosa Hotel Venice

Great place!

by TripAdvisor Member Gailsun

Casa Santa Maria Formosa was a great place to stay for two nights in October. It was a nice room with a terrific bathroom. The hotel location couldn't be better. Just a couple of minutes walk to the Rialto Bridge or to St. Mark's Square. It was located on a quiet canal, away from the crowded areas of Venice. If I return to Venice, I wil stay there again.

Second time around, still perfect

by TripAdvisor Member Hoppinghedgehog

Having stayed at this hotel before (see Perfect review below), we have decided to treat my mother in law to a short stay in Venice.

Although we arrived after the receptionist had left (at 6pm, I understand), the bell rings at nearby Locanda La Corte and a member of staff came shortly to check us in. Our request to upgrade one of the rooms was quickly accommodated without any problems.

Overall, the same very good service we enjoyed last year. My mother in law was also very satisfied with the stay.

Decidedly we have found our ideal accommodation in Venice.

PS The hotel has now changed its name to Casa Santa Maria Formosa.

Great choice

by TripAdvisor Member canada70

We stayed here just one night during our honeymoon. Spotless room and brand new modern bathroom. Decorated in real venetian style - so incredibly pretty and definitely romantic.. We had a corner room with 3 windows with fantastic views of the canals below. Great location - close to all the big touristy things, yet in a quiet and safe area. We decided to take our breakfast at their sister hotel around the corner just to have a walk and check that one out too. That one looked very nice too. Would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone else!!

Enjoyed this hotel

Our canal view room was just as pictured on their web site. True, it is a little difficult to find. Just get yourself to the Campo Santa Maria Formoso put the Hotel Scandanavia to your back, church on your left and walk toward the canal. Do not cross the bridge, go to the right at the canal and hotel is last door before the next bridge. Breakfast is ok, they do offer breakfast at their sister hotel located across the campo. We tried it and it was worth the walk. We were with 2 other couples, all rooms were different but all lovely. Some bathrooms had tub/shower and some with just a shower. 5 minute walk to San Marco or Rialto.

Living the Venetian Dream

by TripAdvisor Member Lordy

I loved it here! We went for the Easter long weekend and it couldn't have been more perfect. We booked late and couldn't get a canal view, so our view was of other windows over a tiny courtyard. However, who cares when you are at the intersection of two canals and your room is like something from the 17th century. We arrived very late (after 11pm) and there was somebody to greet us, even though reception closes at 8pm. We were shown to our room which was spacious and beautifully furnished, if a little over the top. The bathroom was modern and big, something I was very surprised about. We took breakfast in our room each day which isn't an extra cost, and had dinner over the bridge directly outside the hotel door - I can't remember the name of the restaurant but it opens it's windows directly onto the canal and the food is excellent. The hotel's location is quiet; we heard church bells peal on Easter Sunday, but central - max ten minutes walk to San Marco. Although I have to say the journey to the more touristy spots was more interesting - every laneway, every nook around the hotel has a cafe, or a beautiful apartment, or a bar. Great location, great service from the staff and a good price for a late booking on a long weekend.

Fabulous beautiful place

by TripAdvisor Member loupylu

I don't usually write reviews but was so incredibly impressed by this place that I had to. Wonderful staff, breakfast in bed (no extra charge!) and immaculate newly refurbished rooms with plush bathrooms, deep pile cream carpets and incredibly clean. Situated in a fabulous area really close to the Rialto Bridge and St Marks Square and facing the canal. Some rooms have canal views which are beautiful.

Fantastic value for such a gem.

Not happy with the service

by TripAdvisor Member imb

Well my husband and I stayed in this place for three nights. In the first night we had to stay in another room without the canal view because they overbooked our room. This would have been OK if we had not been in our honeymoon!!! Then the pillows were horrible and when I asked the receptionist (owner) if he had softer ones he say no... sorry... in the meantime the chaimber lady mentioned to him that they had one which was softer but this one never came!!! Breakfast was continental but the bread was horrible and the "orange" juice was the power one that you just mix with water.
Included in your stay there is also a trip to the island of Murano which is offered by the locanda. What they do not mention to you is that they require a minimum of four guests to take the trip, only this way they will pay the taxi! So when we decided to go they just said "sorry but we only have you guys and therefore, we will not be able to pay for the taxi"!!!

We would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Too expensive and very very lousy service. Despite its reasonably good location.

The worst breakfast ever!

by TripAdvisor Member AndreaRuffles

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights recently and though the hotel rooms are nicely finished ours was a very small room, not quite square, and the wallpaper is so heavily patterned that the walls seemed to close in on you. However, to be fair, when we booked, we were offered an upgrade of room to a canal view room (at a supplement of course!) and turned it down as we thought the canal may be smelly (which it wasnt). There is air conditioning in the room but for some reason, even set on its lowest, it gave an initial burst of cold air and then seemed to do nothing so we did wake through the night too hot. The biggest letdown was the breakfast and I think the description of the breakfast room is misleading on their own website. There are 4 very small tables in the room which is set directly next to the even smaller reception and the guy on reception makes your coffee and basically passes it over the counter. Breakfast consists of croissants/rolls (overheated to the point they were ruined) and coffee mostly, with the rolls set out in a warming cabinet on a shelf in the hallway just inside the front door. Not very inviting! However the guy on reception was very helpful and spoke excellent English. They do have a larger sister hotel and I think it would be worth them sending you there for breakfast rather than trying to cram it in where they dont have the space.

Too expensive

by TripAdvisor Member blues.dk

Nice Hotel, but way to expensive.

We had two rooms (single and double) and paid almost 600 Euro for two nights with a little breakfast (toasted bread and a cup of coffee).
The "view" from our windows was to a courtyard so narrow, that we could hardly open the windows.
All in all - you can get better hotels in Venice, to the same price.

Excellent choice, wonderful location

by TripAdvisor Member Mattgirl

I believe that I looked at nearly every hotel in Venice when deciding where to stay on our recent visit. I finally settled on the Santa Maria Formosa and my husband and I were thrilled with the choice. This hotel is in a perfect location. Close to the sights but away from the crowds. At night it is completely silent except for an occasional church bell. Our room was small, as expected, but beautifully decorated and very clean. It was definitely worth the 20 extra euro for a view of the canal. I thought that the price was extremely reasonable compared with what I had seen at numerous other hotels. The peace and solitude that this hotel afforded was actually worth much more than what we paid, which we quickly appreciated after seeing the chaos that ensued at hotels on the Grand Canal and near San Marco. Breakfast was fine, the croissaint with apricot was delicious and there was also yogurt, meat and cheese. The breakfast room is small, but that was fine as we only ever saw one other couple in the room at the same time. Overall, I don't think you could get a better hotel for a more pleasant and peaceful stay at a better price. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

St. Mark's and St. Theodore's columnsSt. Mark's and St. Theodore's columns

Piazza San Marco summer 2010Piazza San Marco summer 2010

Exhibit at the Glass MuseumExhibit at the Glass Museum

The façade of San Gregorio - Apr 09The façade of San Gregorio - Apr 09

shopping outlet near venice

by huatangcn

where are shopping outlet near venice? around 100km. thanks.

Re: shopping outlet near venice

by effeti

See if this link can help:

Ciao
Francesco

Re: shopping outlet near venice

by virtual786

The amount of savings at an outlet mall will be more than eaten up by the cost and time spent geting there. People think that they're saving money and outlet malls when they're actually being fooled. The tag will say, suggested price 100 Euros, our price 80 Euros. Big savings, but the thing never sold for 100 Euros in the first place.
Let the buyer beware.