Casa Villa Gardenia

Casa Villa Gardenia
Booking.com budgetplaces.com Priceline.com

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Good Option for a Frugal Visitor

Most people want to stay in Venice proper to get the most of their visit, and there's nothing wrong with that. It is just a given that most nice hotels in Venice are quite expensive.

However if finances dictate less expensive lodgings, Casa Villa Gardenia in Mestre is an excellent option. It is family owned and run. Pictures on the web site are accurate. Rooms are ample and the bathrooms are newly renovated with shiny fixtures and tiled floors and walls. A nice breakfast is included in the price.

It is a very easy walk to the train station which is only two stops from Venice- you're there in 10 minutes and the trains run every 10 minutes.

We stayed there after visiting other cities in northern Italy and had to catch an early flight back to the U.S. at Marco Polo airport. A taxi got us there in 15 minutes.

Directions: Two blocks South of the Mestre train station.

• I_AM_CAN's Profile Photo

Wonderful B&B

This was a great little bed and breakfast in Marghera. It is run by Lorenza and her husband. They are the friendliest people I have met. We found the B&B on Veniceby.com and when I arrived I was pleasntly surprised. It is like I said in Maghera only a couple blocks from the train station and right across from the bus stop. Which was great for when we wanted to go into Venice itself. We walked across the street and got on the bus that took us directly to Venice in about 10 to 15 mintues. And it only cost a Euro. When it came time to go to Florence by train we only had to walk the couple of blocks and we were at the train station.
    The neighborhood it is located in is nice and quite and very nice. A 5 minute walk down the street was two resuraunt across from each other both run by family. And across the traffic circle from the B&B was a pharmacy and also a little store. So everything you needed was within 5 to 10 minute walk. I plan to stay there again when I go back and would recomend this B&B to anyone and everyone. The cost was only 78 Euro a night which in comparison to the hotels right in Venice was a steal. Especially since it was just a 10 minute bus ride away.

More about Casa Villa Gardenia

Good Option for a Frugal Visitor

by TexasDave about Casa Villa Gardenia

Wonderful B&B

by I_AM_CAN about Casa Villa Gardenia

Excellent Food

by I_AM_CAN

Well there are two little resaurants down the road from Casa Villa Gardenia. Unfortunately I never did remember the names of them. I just remember on how to get there. From the B&B you cross the traffic circle and down about two blocks. They are across the street from each other and both of them are family run. One on the left side of the street has a little bar that you walk through first and then into the resaurant. And it has a little patio like setting outside and the lasagna there is the very best. I can't eat lasagna anywhere else now because I always compare it to there. The othere restaurant is on the right side of the street and the son who really likes to run the place well pretty much greet you at the door and is very freindly. In this one you watch them as they cook you pizza and other dishes in the brick oven out in the open. Both places are very friendly and welcoming...almost like you are thier family and the food is delicious. We would take turns going to one or the other for each meal every day for a week. The only thing is as some already know lasagna isn't a every day dish for the Italians so sometimes they might not have it. Which I ran into but the rest of the menu is wonderufl too.

Casa Villa GardeniaCasa Villa Gardenia

First course - My 50th Birthday celebrationFirst course - My 50th Birthday celebration

Walking VeniceWalking Venice

Romantic view from our evening tableRomantic view from our evening table

hunt for hotel in Venice or around in september

by miriamellen

Hello, need help and good advise. We are taking cruise from Venice and will be in town 2 days before cruise. Have a problem to find good hotel with out spending bunch of money. Any recomendations? thanks

Re: hunt for hotel in Venice or around in september

by leics

Venice is expensive.

The best site for finding hotels in Italy (imo, and also used by many Vt-ers) is www.venere.com It is reliable and has good mapping and honest guest reviews. www.booking.com is also good.

I stayed at http://www.locandamarinella.it/ , very near to Piazzale Roma (where the land traffic stops) and it was fine.

You may find slightly cheaper hotels in Mestre, on the mainland at the other end of the causeway and a 10-minute bus ride from Venice itself.

Re: hunt for hotel in Venice or around in september

by TexasDave

There are so many choices, it's really a matter of personal preference. I found Hotel al Piave to be a less expensive option than most and near St. Mark's.
If you opt for Mestre, Casa Villa Gardenia is only a 5 min walk from the train station, you go 2 stops and you're in Venice- very easy.
I have more info on both places on my Venice pages if that might help.

Travel Tips for Venice

Venice is a very special...

by pinganille

Venice is a very special place, but most probably dying. I guess we cannot save it on our own, but bare in mind that just because you see some one throwing some thing into the channels, it is not okay for you to do so too;)
Tipping is around ten percent, nomatter how expensive your meal or cup of hot chocolate are... And of course, the more you like it, the more tips you pay!

Now guess what is the most popular sport

by Trekki

Haha, with all the surrounding water it is no wonder that rowing is sport no 1 in Venezia ! Oh, wait, it is most probably football, as everywhere in Italy. But definitely followed by canoeing, kayaking and rowing.
I was much amazed to see kayakers paddling along in Canalazzo (photo 2). They have most probably got the kayaks through Venice Canoe and Dragonboat , located on La Giudecca and in the north of Canaregio (photo 3).
Rowing is done in Veneziano style of course ! And while I was in Venezia, I did see rowers all over on the water. Most probably, they were practising for the many festivals held during summer and autumn, which involve the boats, Regatta Storica for example. Ah, one day I will also come to see this famous regatta !

Oh, and for those who are interested in how to row in Veneziano style, I have found this website which explains all moves quite nicely:
Rowing Veneziano style From what I could see on the websites, the clubs and organisations will rent the equipment and also clothes (like neopren stuff).

Comments