Collegio Armeno Moorat Raphael

Dorsoduro 2596, Venice, Veneto, 30123, Italy

Satisfaction Terrible

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Cheapest accommodation in Dorsoduro/Venice?

DORSODURO
    VAPORETTO SAN BASILO or CA REZZONICO.

I booked this accommodation for 4 nights, Christmas 2009 through Venere.com, specifically for its cheap rates - 20 Euros per night, which is very cheap for Venice. I wasn't expecting too much, after reading some of the reviews, but all I needed was somewhere to sleep.

I found this accommodation quite easily - it was recommended to get the Vaporetto to Ca Rezzonica- Instead I headed for S. Basilio, as I had a better idea of where I was heading from here. Just as I was heading for this accommodation, I remembered on an earlier visit to Venice, taking a photograph of some writing on a wall, that I'd guessed was Armenian- I wondered if this was going to be where I was staying - it was!

The staff on reception were quite friendly and helpful, and my check in went smoothly- I was upgraded from a room with shared bathroom to an en suite for the same price- I had the choice of rooms 201 and 202 - I opted for 202 as it had 2 windows looking over 2 different views - one being over the garden.

I was advised by the staff to go and buy some rubber boots, as the Aqua Alta was expected that night (for the 3rd night in a row) and was expected to be around 1.5 or more metres. I was advised also that 10 Euros would be a good price. To emphasise the severity of the flooding, he showed me where the water had risen to the previous night- up to the 3rd step.
    There is a canal running in front of this building. Later that night, the Aqua Alta warning siren sounded (like an Air Raid Siren!) followed by 4 warning sounds-indicating 140 cm or higher was expected. As it happened, by the time I was ready to go out next morning-the waters had subsided. I never got to wear my wellies- I managed to take them back to the shop and was allowed to exchange them (no refund) -I chose a hat instead.

To get to my room, I had to climb 50 steps, then cross through a classroom like room, onto a long dark corridor, across the piano nobile (with views onto the Ballroom below) then onto another long corridor, which was quite dark, and with every footstep, the dark wooden furniture rattled. At night this was a bit spooky! One night I'd left my room and was walking along the dark corridor as a young couple approached. The girl suddenly stopped still. As I got nearer she suddenly gasped- I was wearing a long black coat- she thought she'd seen a ghost! I had a fit of giggles over this for quite a while after.

My room was quite spacious - a double and a single bed, wardrobe, 2 tables, writing desk, and chair and bedside tables. The bathroom had a shower, wash basin, WC, electric razor point. Soap and towels provided (Hairdryer available on request)

It was clean but basic- although there was an attractive Murano glass light in the room.
    Marble flooring- with no rugs, so quite cold.

As I'd read in other reviews, the walls are tissue paper thin- which I realised, when I could hear every sound from my neighbour!

Another noise that might bother some, is the church bells - From around 0700 they ring on the hour and half hour until around 22.00 hours. This doesn't bother me - but I'm probably one of the few people who likes being woken by the 'call to prayer' from mosques in Islamic countries!

I think 4 nights was enough to stay here - there are no areas to relax away from your room. Although in the summer time, the gardens would be a pleasant place to relax. (Apparently there is a high mossie count in warmer weather though). No food served, but there are Osterias, cafes etc nearby

There is a curfew- around 0100hrs. As it was quite cold and raining some days during my visit, this wasn't too much of a problem this time.

For 80 Euros total price for 4 nights en suite, this was quite a bargain, and if you just want somewhere to sleep and shower, in one of Venices scenic areas - this would take some beating.
    Yes, it needs renovating/repairing and upgrading - but this would be at a cost, which would be reflected in the accommodation price too.

I was hoping to visit the Island of San Lazzaro degli Armeni, to learn more about the Armenians in Venice - apparently there are only about 5 families living in Venice now. Vaporetto No 20 leaves San Zaccariah at 15.10 each day for the island, where there is a guided tour by one of the multi lingual monks - Free, but donation expected. I got distracted with my wanderings, so didn't make the trip. However, I did find the Armenian church in San Marco sestiere- only open Sundays for Mass at 11.00 - I hung around until the service had finished, then had a quick look around the heavily incense scented church.

Unique Quality: The Ballroom is worth seeing.
    Good location - less than 5 minutes from Vaporetta stop.
    Quiet location-away from Tourist trails
    Between Chiesa dei Carmini and Chiesa dell' Arcangelo (Angelo Raffaelle)

This building was originally built between 1690-1700 as the Palazzo Zenobio. In the 19th Century, the Palace was acquired by the Armenian Mekhitarist Fathers of Venice, where it has been used as a college for Armenian studies, an Armenian Cultural centre, exhibition and concert venue etc.

I'll cover more of this later in A Things to Do or Off The Beaten Track tip.......

Directions: VAPORETTO - Ca Rezzonico (Grand Canal) or S. Basilio (Zattere)

• Beware

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed, it reminds me of a scene from a scary movie. The hotel is located in Venice Italy the DORSODURO area, which is a good area except for this hideous hotel. When my husband and I got there it looked okay on the outside but as soon as you step in it's like the Twilight Zone. The building is an old high school built in the 1800s and the owners made no attempt in hiding the fact that it's an old high school. Our room is literally an old class room with just a bed, a wardrobe closet, and a desk; no phone, no T.V. The bathroom was disgusting with mildew all over the tiles. I strongly do not recommend anyone to stay here.

• aramas's Profile Photo

Collegio Armeno Moorat...

Collegio Armeno Moorat Raphael.
    about 20$ per night and person in a double room.

Unique Quality: price was in 99 about 20$ per night and person. The view is a nice narrow canal and when it gets dark you have a lot of Gondolas which pass by and start singing...It's like being on another planet !

Directions: If you want a nice place try this one: this palace was initially a college (where I studied). Unfortunately for financial purposes they transformed it into a hotel with great room and individual bathr

More about Collegio Armeno Moorat Raphael

Palazzo Zenobio/Collegio Armeno Moorat Raphael 2

DORSODURO

VAPORETTO-CA' REZZONICCO or S. BASILIO.

The jewel in this palaces crown is its ornate Baroque ballroom -

Built over 2 storeys, it's situated behind the balcony of the main facade overlooking the canal.

It is possibly Venices' richest example of 18th century interior design.

Louis Dorigny, a French Artist, was responsible for creating the large trompe-l'oeil ceiling fresco. I particularly liked the illusion of the draped oriental carpets on the walls.
Trompe l'oeil effects were an inspiration for the Ca' Rezzonicos later decoration .

Huge Mirrors line the Ballroom, Heavily decorated and gilded picture frames, add to the opulence.

Three landscapes painted by Luca Carlevarijs can be seen on the portego, while the medallions above the doors, including "The Challenge between Apollo and Marsia"(18th Century), were painted as a commission by Gregorio Lazzarini.

To be found on Fondamenta Del Soccorso/ Rio dei Carmini. It is between Angelo Raffaele and the Carmini churches.
Address: Dorsoduro 2596 - Fondamenta del Soccorso - 30123 Venice

Palazzo Zenobio/Collegio Armeno Moorat Raphael

DORSODURO

VAPORETTO-CA' REZZONICCO or S. BASILIO.

The reason that I visited this former palace is that it is now an Armenian cultural centre and college, which offers cheap (basic) accommodation. I stayed here for 4 nights over Christmas 2009 (for the total price of 80 euros! Please see my Hotels and Accommodation tips for more info).

It is possible to book a tour of the palace - or just ring the bell and ask for a look around

The Zenobia family, were wealthy land owners, originally from Greece, but had settled in Verona. In 1647 they bought a noble title for the cost of 160,000 ducats - New Venetian nobility needed a palace!

In 1664, they acquired a gothic palace from the Morosini family, then it was modified between 1690 and 1700 by Antonio Gasperi, in the Baroque style. Palazzo Zenobio would be the largest palace of the time in Venice.

Unusually for this period, the palace is designed in a U shape.
This opens onto a courtyard and gardens.
A large Zenobio family coat of arms, can be seen in the courtyard, which was initially set above the tympana (A panel enclosed by a lintel of a door and the arch above it) of the central loggia (pic 3)
Behind the palazzo, there is a large garden with the former library that still has baroque interior decoration. (pic 2)

Gaspari retained half of the original portego (a long corridor, often with a quadratic cross section and an opening of an arched loggia) of the Morosini building, and then added a serliana (a central arched window, flanked by two rectangular windows) to distinguish it formally from the new ballroom. Above this window, an orchestra gallery was built.

Two small courtyards were added to the left and right of the Ballroom, with a staircase leading from the left wing to the Piano Nobile.

The jewel in this palaces crown is its ornate Baroque ballroom, with its stunning examples of trompe l'oeil , gilded mirrors and paintings - Please see my following tip for info and photos of The Ballroom.......

In the late 19th Century (1850), two wealthy (Diamond Merchants) Armenians from India, Mkertich Murat and Edward Raphael made donations to establish an Armenian college in Venice. They purchased the Palazzo Zenobio for this purpose.
The college had a reputation for its high academic standards and reputable teaching staff.

Although the college isn't operating for this purpose at present, as well as offering accommodation, there are sometimes art exhibitions, summer schools and workshops, as well as being a venue for weddings.

Palazzo Zenobio/Collegio Armeno Moorat RaphaelPalazzo Zenobio/Collegio Armeno Moorat Raphael

Hotel Help

by tuff

I need help in booking a double room in Venice, say 100-120 euro per night for two persons and all the hotels that I looked at are not available on May 02. Is this the high season? Any suggestion? Many thanks.

by ExParisian

There's no low or high season as such in Venice, there are slightly quieter months but it's very busy throughout the year (although with a bit of imagination, you can easily lose the hordes).

Try La Calcina, possibly Venice's best hotel in its category, the Seguso pensione is also excellent.

by craic

check out venere.com - doh

by suvanki

I usually recommend Venere.com, but I tried putting in that date for 2 people, and the available hotels are only 12, the cheapest is 135 euros - Hotel Al Soffiador on Murano which includes breakfast, the next cheapest is 179 euros

by craic

well that is ridiculous for sure - last time i was in venice i had a local helping me and found a very nice room for 50 euro - maybe it has gone mad

by suvanki

Oops pressed Post Answer button too soon! I also looked at areas around Venice - again not a great choice Mestre has a 3* hotel- Hotel Piave 'a stones throw from the train station' for 105 euros per room per night inc. buffet breakfast.

Are you just stopping one night in Venice? if stopping longer, there are appartments to rent etc. Also try Hostalbookers.com , Bookings.com

Good Luck!
Sue

by sim1

It is Ascension Day on Thursday the 1st of May. We are off here in Sweden, and I think the UK has a bank holiday, so also a long weekend for them. And most likely many more European countries enjoy a long weekend. I can very well imagine that a lot of people are on a short break to enjoy spring in Venice, hence unfortuntely for you, higher prices and not that many rooms available.

:-) Simone

by tuff

Thanks VTers for your quick responses, I finally found something through booking.com. It's more than I wish to pay but I guess it's better than arriving a city with luggages on both hands but no place to go. Many thanks again!

by nacene

Hi,

I'll be going around that time too, you were saying you some a hotel slightly more expensive, care to share where it is?

by tuff

It's the Collegio Armeno Moorat Raphael. I don't know anything about this hotel, I'll post a review after my stay.

Comments