Campo Santa Maria del Giglio 2467, San Marco, Venice, Veneto, 30124, Italy

The Gritti Palace
Hotels.com LuxuryCollection Booking.com

Costs 161% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• 5 star hotel Venice

The Gritti Palace hotel in venice was built in 1525 as the residence of the Doge of Venice, Andrea Gritti. 5 star rates Venice hotel, quite famous. ideal location on the Grand Canal.
    Room size ( for venice 0 was quite good. Breakfast enjoyable.

The Gritti palace, being 5 star, is expensive, but luckily we had a very ood deal. We had stayed 2 nights at the Danieli but they were full for the other nigth we wanted. We were pleased we managed to fet a room at the GFritti as it had been one of our choices.

Very easy to walk to from the hotel. Staying at the Gritti will certainly make memories. A lovely hotel that i would highly recommend. sadly just a short stay.

I agree with Jenn, sitting on the terrace you have a view that seriously you could only have dreamt of !
    Expensive yes, but amazing memories, yes !

Unique Quality: Amazing decor, great service, excellent location.

• jenn5179's Profile Photo

The Gritti Palace - fabulous from start to finish

I found this hotel to be so unbelievable rich with history and charm.....

I felt like I stepped back in time and was some sort of royalty - the lobby, the decor, the service, it was unbelievable.

Our room was a standard room, and although it had no view (some sort of building next door), it was the largest of all rooms I have stayed in while in Europe.

The staff was very very attentive, and helpful with directions, questions, etc.

The breakfast was also quite enjoyable with a great varierty of meats, cheeses, fruits, pastries and other dishes available I thoroughly enjoyed eating breakfast along the canal every morning, enjoying the daily paper.

This place was such a treat, if you are going for a special occasion (birthday, anniversary, etc) as we did, and you can afford it, I highly recommend staying there for a couple of nights

Unique Quality: Restaurant and lounge were both along the canal.

As I said, the staff and the hotel itself made me feel like I stepped back in time, even the elevator was something I will never forget! The rooms had TVs, were clean, it was just a great hotel experience.

The location is also fabulous, we were in the middle of everything! We walked to St Mark's Square, the Rialto bridge, the Guggenheim - I don't think we took a water taxi anywhere aside from to and from the airport.

To be able to sit out and have a drink at the lounge and be along the water was so so so memorable. I will never forget drinking Prosecco and cigar my husband smoked as we sat out on a gorgeous night with an amazing view of the Canal.

Directions: Along the canal, on the St. Mark's side of the Canal - between The Rialto bridge and St. Mark's

• craic's Profile Photo

I'm Dreaming

My friend was walking me around close by and asked if she could pop in to pick up a book. She works there as a translator for the cooking/art classes they hold. (First off you get a look at a famous picture involving food, then you get to cook the dish.)
    Sure I said - and we approached the faded grandeur of a little palazzo. Right on the Canale Grande. In we popped and oh my goodness me. Understated elegance. The tranquil hush of a top hotel. I got a guided tour of the ground floor and a potted history of some of the antiques - and I started dreaming. Just one night in the Hotel Gritti - please!
    I have just checked the tariff before I wrote this - and it sort of starts at 1000 euro a night for a room without a view. So there you go. Starting to look a bit unlikely.
    But my friend told me it is perfectly possible for (well-dressed) blow ins to march up to the bar with the view and blow their budget by having a bellini.
    ALSO - at the end of the street there is a gondola plying for hire that takes you across the Canale Grande for an euro or two. So if you just want a quick taste of gondola life and a photo opportunity, that might be the way to go.

More about Gritti Palace

NO WAY!

by TripAdvisor Member clearys04

My husband and I just got back from Italy. We travel very frequently and have been blessed enough to stay at some of the best places in the world. We were very disappointed in the Gritti Palace for the amount of money that we paid. First all it is a beautiful hotel but for 600.00 Euro a night it wasn't all that. The room was a BOX, the bed was like a rock and the air didn't work that well!! The shower was horrible and the service was so so. The hotel bar was so over priced it was ridiculous!! 31 Euro for a hamburger and a staff that was utterly rude! If you have the 600.00 Euro to spend I would highly highly recommend The Grand Canal Hotel WAS amazing in every way!! Stay there and get everything that you want on a fantastic vacation!!

Just OK

I just returned from my first trip to Venice and my first stay at the Gritti Palace. It's location is perfect, right on the Grand Canal with superb views. The common areas of the hotel resemble a museum, with some things actually roped off , which doesn't really make for a warm and inviting atmosphere. My room was adequate in size but the furnishings were somewhat dated. My chief complaint is with the price of food and beverages. A gin and tonic was $28. and continental breakfast (coffee and croissants, basically) was $42. As if that were not steep enough, the restaurant charges a cover charge of 8 euro which I thought was rather cheesy, and room service carries a 10% surcharge. The experience was just OK and for the money I think I may have done better elsewhere.

Charming, but, yes, overpriced by Venetian standards

by TripAdvisor Member Gegan

I stayed at the Gritti Palace in September, coincidentally during the film festival. We had nice time in a room overlooking the canal and enjoyed watching a few Hollywood types frequent the bar and restaurant as well. The staff here is very nice and attentive and the centuries-old ambience is charming.

That said, I agree with other reviewers that the Gritti shows its age and is overpriced by Venice's standards. Our room was "grand" but old, and that's a good description for the hotel, as well: a grand old dame that you might want to look in on, but probably wouldn't want to spend your entire vacation with. The Hotel Danieli equals the Gritti in atmosphere but offers much bigger rooms with a sampling of modern amenities. In short, I wouldn't stay at the Gritti again, as it's just not worth it.

I have no complaints

by TripAdvisor Member The_Toe

My wife just returned from a two week trip (without our children) from Europe and one of our stops was at the Gritti Palace. Since my wife and I have insane travel requirements with our work, we accrue a great deal of Starwood points. So, our stay at the Gritti was totally on points. I read all of the comments of the hotel and was a bit nervous about our stay. Personally I liked the Gritti Palace but I can understand others disappointment. The hotel is a 15th century building with a lot of charm. It is not a new building. The rooms were no different in size than most 4 star hotels. The bathroom was fine. Marble floors, shower, and bidet, were all fine. Since we were in Venice when the temperature wavered between 39 and 40 C, (that is upper 90’s and low 100’s) the conditions were difficult. My only complaint, and it is not a big one, was the air conditioner was bit weak. The concierge staff was very friendly helping us with many questions. One thing you have to understanding about Venice is the city is very expensive. Everything in the city is expensive, the food, water, shopping, etc. I strongly discourage anyone from visiting Murano. That is one experience I truly did not enjoy. If you were not prepared to buy a 40,000 Euro chandelier they were very insulting. Very ugly experience. The hotel does not have internet access in the room but have wireless access in the lobby. The ISP is Telecomm Italia which partners with T-mobile hot Spot. This was a pleasant surprise.

A 2nd fabulous stay at the Gritti

by TripAdvisor Member cintamani

My husband and I returned to the Gritti for a four night stay, for the second time, in 11 months. The first time was in February 2005 together with 3 couples to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and this time for my husband's 50th birthday. Once again we were not disappointed. The rooms were fabulous and the staff were extremely welcoming (even down to remembering us from our first visit). All of the staff speak good English and did everything within their power to make our stay a pleasant one. After staying at some of the top hotels around the world I cannot agree with the comment from one of the reviews that the staff are 'stuffy'. The restaurant 'Club del Doge' offers wonderful food and service. It may be a little on the expensive side, but this is a 5 star hotel and we did end up paying more for an evening meal in a fish restaurant by the Rialto Bridge than in the Gritti. Breakfast may be a little expensive for some people and for any first-timers to Italy who are on a budget I would suggest eating breakfast at one of the little 'cafe/bars' that you see everywhere. For a first timer come out of the hotel, turn right (otherwise you are in the canal!), take the first right, walk along the 'road' until the first bridge and you will find the first 'stand-up cafe/bar'directly on the other side of the bridge on the right hand side. As long as you remain standing (and this applies to any bar in Italy) you can get a cappucino and a sandwich/roll/croissant for just a few Euros. For anybody wanting to 'arrive in style' the Gritti will arrange a private water taxi pick up for you from the airport. This includes a taxi driver (with your name card) waiting for you at Marco Polo Airport, a taxi drive (albeit about 3 minutes!) to the water taxis where a pre-arranged private water taxi will take you directly to the Gritti Palace Hotel - all this for approx. 155 Euros!! Alternatively you can get your own water taxi - only about 5-10 minute walk from the Airport (depending on the amount of luggage!)for about 60-70 Euros.
A great city, a great hotel and definitely worth a visit!!!

Gritti PalaceGritti Palace

Gritti Palace hotelGritti Palace hotel

Terrace at gritti Palace Hotel Venice ItalyTerrace at gritti Palace Hotel Venice Italy

Good restaurant vith Grand Canal view close to Accademia !

by guillaum

I am looking for a place for a light lunch with a view on the Grand Canal and not too far from the Accademia Bridge - view on the Grand Canal is a must !

Any idea for this challenging request ?

Thx in advance

Re: Good restaurant vith Grand Canal view close to Accademia !

by JoeNYC

The Gritti Palace is ideally placed and it has eating right on the Canal. It's an expensive place but just order something "light".

Re: Good restaurant vith Grand Canal view close to Accademia !

by jagbest

There is a restaurant as you step off the Accademia Bridge (same side as the Peggy Guggenheim museum). The restaurant has a number of tables on a terrace overlooking the Grand Canal - perfect if the weather's nice. It seems to be open all day and they serve lunch lunches.

Comments