Hesperia Hotel

Hotel Hesperia
Travelocity Venere.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Venice

my main coursemy main course

Our delicious four-cheese pizzaOur delicious four-cheese pizza

plaza across hotelplaza across hotel

Palazzo DucalePalazzo Ducale

Current renovations in St Mark's Square

by jj1807

I noticed on a webcam that there appears to be a lot of renovating in St Mark's Square. I was wondering what is being renovated and if there is a website about this?

by Aloe9678

When I was there in August it didn't interfere with much... it looked like a few of the buildings were getting a facelift, but they had big museum signs up over where I'm guessing the work was being done.

That was in August though.

by oriettaIT

They are also working on enforcing the bells' tower basement, that is probably what you saw in the webcam.
I was there last weekend and i did not had the chance to check but few months ago also the sights bridge area was being restored and a huge wrapping covered with Advertising disappointed me greatly....

by effeti

...and (this morning) there was scaffolded the building of procuratie nuove just left of the "moores clock" bell tower, towards the quadri cafè. I didn't read the (mandatory) sign on it, but it looked like a facade cleaning.
Ciao
Francesco

by suvanki

Hi! I was last in Venice December 2008, there were some renovations going on which I added to my Warnings and Dangers tips http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/6f35e/22643/8/

For me, this is the charm of Venice-It's a living City-not a Museum/Theme Park, so there will be renovations going on.
Personally, I was a bit disappointed to see Salute covered in scaffolding during a few of my visits - but I think she is now back to her former glory- and I now have some pictures that offer a different view.

Travel Tips for Venice

Write postcards to your VT friends

by jessicadf

It's easy to find a nice, sunny (or shady) spot to sip a drink and write postcards to your friends. You'll find many vendors around the city who sell postcards. Prices averaged 12 for 3.50 Euros. We found, however, someone selling 12 for 2 Euros and bingo -- we'd found our postcards. Are we cheap? :-p Writing postcards to my family and to some special VTers. Notice the lipstick kiss? This was for Dr. Firas and Piccolina. The one being written was to my grandmother, spurring her memories of Italian travels with my grandfather.

My first VT meeting.

by Maurizioago

On 11th of september I had my first VT meeting. The only attenders were Anne, from Malta and I.

Anne (Xemx) was spending some days in Venice, so we decided to meet there.

We went to the Getto; to S. Mark Square and after lunch we went to Burano. We spent some hours there. She liked very much that island (see the tip).

In this pic Anne is sitting on a step in Campo dei Mori (see tip).

take the no. 1 vaporetto for a...

by eleanorbueza

take the no. 1 vaporetto for a cruise up, down, and around the Canal Grande. If you happen to be in Venice on a fine and sunny day, try to get a seat in front or at the far back of a vaporetto (uncovered), where you will get a clear and unobstructed view of the islands made of buildings. Although deteriorating, the buildings are spectacular in their own right. The bright colours, the flowers in the windows, the palatial-like windows, and doors than open right onto the water ... amazing. You won't believe that this city is built on water, until you see it for yourself. My two Canadienne friends and I had taken the overnight train from Vienna to Venice on 4 September 2001. At 08:00hrs, I looked out the window from my couchette and saw Venice in the distance. It seemed that the train was traveling on water toward a magical city. We were surrounded by water, which was both terrifying and enchanting. I had never felt that way before, and I doubt that any other city would evoke that same feelings in me again.

Tipping

by DropsOfJupiter

Until recently tipping was considered the exception rather than the rule; however, the influx of foreigners in Venice (not knowing any better; giving a normal tip as they would in there home) has raised expectations among many of the service providers. In Venice, unless the menu states that the service is included, a service tax of about 12% should appear as a separate item on your bill.

Higher-priced restaurants rarely charge for service, relying on diners' generosity to compensate their staff.

Tip checkroom attendants EUR.50 per person, restroom attendants EUR.20-EUR.30 (more in expensive hotels and restaurants).

We were having dinner and the...

by rtschneider

We were having dinner and the waiter brought our salads and only a few minutes later we brought our dinners. We barely had time to start the salads so we keep eating them as our dinner sat there. Well the waiter came over and explained to us that in Italy you eat your salad until they bring the dinner then you eat your dinner and after that you finish the salad. Thats different than the US!!

Comments