Hotel Ala

Venere.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 41% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• pgj579's Profile Photo

Best Western Hotel in San Marco

This is a Best Western chain hotel, and it is of good quality. It is located in San Marco, sort of between San Marco's basillica and the Accademia. It is a great place to see the sights of the city, however, since it is not right on a major canal, I recommend studying a map before you get there (If you've never been to Venice, figuring your way around can be difficult, and if you want to get somewhere, you pretty much have to walk there). Some of the rooms have a nice view into the canal out back, and even the small single rooms are nicely decorated.

• Janebellinoz's Profile Photo

A short walk from St Marks Square

Stayed here 2 nights. I only had a small single room but it was gorgeously decorated and had a balcony overlooking a tiny canal.

Unique Quality: In a lovely square really central to everywhere you wanna go.

I don't know how much it cost, work paid ha ha!!

• Fantastic Location

We loved this fantastic 3 star hotel. Its located in Campo S. Maria del Giglio which is a short stoll from St Marc's square. Our room was in the loft area and was full of romantic atmosphere. It was very nicely furniched, clean and well serviced. Above our room was a fantastic roof terrace which was perfect for an afternoon vino, a great place to close your eyes and enjoy the last rays of sunshine while the serenading gondola's went by. The staff were very helpful and friendly. You would be hard pressed to find a better 3 star hotel.

Unique Quality: Romantic roof top terrace

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Venetian Baroque styled

The three stars hotel "Ala" is situated in the heart of the city, a short walk from Piazza San Marko and very close to Accademia. It is mid-19th century construction but newly completely restaurated.

Unique Quality: The hotel is situated in Campo Santa Maria del Giglio, also known as "Zobenigo", in a walking distance to all major sights of the city.
    The air-conditionated rooms are very comfortable and completely renovated by furniture in Venetian Baroque style.
    There is also magnificent terrace overlooking Venetian chanels.
    A single room costs from 80-170 euros,
    double room from 120-250 euros.
    It is highly recommended.

Directions: In the heart of the city

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Hotel Ala.

Single room - 160000 to 240000 lire.
    Double room - 230000 to 320000 lire.
    Superior double (recommended) - 270000 to 360000 lire

Unique Quality: Lovely old hotel, niceley decorated and with a great buffet breakfast, including Tiramisu!!
    Located close to the Grand Canal and only a couple of minutes walk from St. Marks Square.

More about Hotel Ala

Affordability with Quality in Venice

by ox4rd about Best Western HOTEL ALA

A 5 minute walk to Piazza San Marco. Located right at a gondola stop. I loved waking up to gondola singers below our window. Nice buffet breakfast with internet access and a very friendly and helpful staff. The room was small but clean and elegant. The bathroom was especially nice. Will stay here again. Great price. Canal side rooms overlook a small canal along a gondola route and have tiny balconies which you can stand on if you duck through the window.

You can't go wrong with Hotel Ala!!!

You've flown all night, found your luggage, and had the debate about wether to spend 90 euro on a private water taxi to get from the airport to the hotel...now what awaits you on the other end? One of the most charming hotels in which I have every stayed. We booked a superior double that over-looked an adorable piazza, colorful homes with flowered terraces and the first of many gorgeous churches we were to see on our tour of Italy. There is an old well/water spout in the square as well. Yes, you can drink this water. Save your water bottle and refill it all over Italy (you will save a bundle), there is a fountain gushing fresh water on every corner, it seems. The location is perfect!!! Close to everything. Use the water bus, it's easy and the view of the grand canal is something you won't see if you walk everywhere. The hotel is SUPER clean and the maids even arranged our stuff to tidy up. They provide shampoo, soap, etc. but not lotion or Kleenex (no big deal-just fyi.) Great shower! The breakfast was good, really yummy croissants! I will tell my travelling friends to stay here and we would definately return.

Venice

by pata2479 about Hotel Ala

I return to this hotel every year and have never been disappointed. Professional, courteous service. Rooms are comfortable and most overlook a canal. Great location in a quiet campo and within a short walk to SanMarco and the Accademia bridge.
There is a deck with tables and chairs on the top of the hotel which overlooks Venice.
Also, a great breakfast with the room.

Excellent hotel in great location

We stayed at the Hotel Ala in February 2003 for 3 nights in a Double Superior room with canal view. The room was large with a high ceiling and in typical Venetian opulent style - lots of marble, a fireplace and heavy drapes. The bedroom was situated on the corner of the building overlooking a bridge and canal but was never too noisy considering how close it was to St Marks.

Breakfast was great - lots of choice and quirky (Tiramisu for breakfast!) Staff were polite and helpful, particularly during the booking process.

Would certainly recommend it as a good place to stay and good value (for Venice).

Perfect Setting

by TripAdvisor Member kcribb1

What Can I say about this hotel that has not beem said? I'll tell you! This hotel was a saving grace. I booked 4 nights at a different hotel through priceline - Hotel Scandinavia - and learned quickly it was a mistake. I stayed one night, and it was off to the Hotel Ala the very next day. I remember reading postings about the Hotel Ala, and I set out to find it. I did, and I can honestly said it was the highlight of my stay in Venice... excluding a chance meeting with a couple from my neighboring city of Sebring, FL ... Go figure, right? I stayed three wonderful night in a fabulous city. Oh, water taxi stop Giglio is right at the hotel - perfect!! Anyway, do yourself a favor and stay at this hotel ( I paid 70 Euro per night).

How to handle luggage on the train from Venice to Florence

by marko711

We plan on taking the Eurostar. We are ending a cruise in Venice and will have 2 large suitcases and 2 carryons. Is there a secure place for the larger bags. I can bring a wire bike lock to secure them or is there room by our seats for the 4 pieces. We are staying at the Hotel Ala and will need to get to the train station on the mainland, what is the best way with luggage. Thanks Mark

RE: How to handle luggage on the train from Venice to Florence

by Translaw

We stayed at the Hotel Ala several years ago. As a native Alabamian, I couldn't pass up staying at the Ala! The staff was friendly and accommodating. Not bad, although it was our first experience with a shower that got everything in the bathroom wet! But it dried out fast.

To get to the train station, the easiest and most economical way would be to take a vaporetto (water bus) if you can. We couldn't, and had to take a rather expensive water taxi to make an early morning flight at the airport. At the time we stayed there, the vaporetto stop located nearest the hotel was closed for rebuilding! So this hotel was not as convenient as we had imagined it might be. Surely that has now changed for the better. The location itself is great.

We took the train from Florence to Venice, and basically you just handle your bags yourself. For us, it was no big deal, even as senior citizens. There are luggage racks for the larger bags, and the carry-ons can be put overhead, above the seats. While we kept an eye on the bags from time to time, there didn't seem to be any problem on the IC or EC trains in Italy or elsewhere.

Hope you have a great experience there. It is my wife's favorite city, although I'm a bit more partial to Florence.

RE: How to handle luggage on the train from Venice to Florence

by jj1807

We took the Eurostar train a few weeks ago from Venice (St Lucia station) to Rome with a stop in Florence. I saw some very large suitcases wedged into those overhead racks. I didn't feel comfortable leaving my luggage on the luggage racks near the doors but it probably would have been ok. My recommendation would be to arrive plenty early so you have time to look over the situation and decide where you want to put your luggage. Also, it can be a long walk to your section of the train so be sure to allow time for that as well. You may notice that the seats are numbered a little differently. Our seat numbers were consecutive but my wife's seat was across from mine rather than beside. Once you get situated, it's a great way to travel!

Comments