San Vio 628 Accademia, Venice, Veneto, 30123, Italy

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 75% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Paolomusc's Profile Photo

Wonderful location

This is a lovely hotel situated in Dorsoduro, a quieter part of Venice. It stands beside the San Vio Canal and just a few steps away from Accademia landing stage for the water bus. The Peggy Guggenheim museum is close by also. There are loads of restaurants and shops close by and the joy of it is that you don't have to push through all the crowds. St Marks and all the other touristy sites are just a short walk away. Apart from travelling on the Water Bus at 7 euro each journey, walking is the best way to see and 'feel' Venice. It's not a large city and you will be surprised how much you manage to see. The hotel has superior rooms on the front overlooking the canal, with balconies and I would recommend paying the little extra for one of these. Not only can you watch life go bay, you can wave to the hotel webcam and let your family back home see you! The breakfast is taken in the ground floor dining room and is typical of a continental one with ham and cheese and eggs, along with rolls, jam and fruit. Its very good. The staff are so welcoming and caring and can't do enough for you. The Alilugano boats from and to the airport go from Zattera which is just a two minute walk from the hotel. It couldn't be better located. I would recommend it and will stay there again when I visit Venice.

Unique Quality: Fantastic location for water bus and Alilaguna boats to and from airport. Quiet yet not isolated

Directions: Off at Accademia and follow Guggenheim signs

• zizkov's Profile Photo

Canal Views

I had a compact (OK small) but comfortable single at the top of the hotel. Possibly the only single, and certainly the doubles I saw into were on a more generous scale. Some have balconies overlooking the canal , at a substantial premium of course. You can enjoy a bit of balcony experince without paying as a corridor opens onto one. The hotel is a pretty classy joint throughout.

I paid 80E a night including generous breakfast buffet in August 2003 - this was the lowest possible price as it was the off season for Venice. Doubles work out much less per person, and for Venice these are reasonable prices.

I booked through venere.com - you can see reviews from past guests there, ranging from very good to superlative.

Unique Quality: Originally built in the 18th century by a rich Venetian merchant (the normal kind of Venetian merchant, I presume). Remodelled as a pensione in 1925.

Directions: Great location about three minutes from Accademia (and bridge and vaporetto) by picturesque canal, and fairly easy to find. Also only about 5 mins walk from Zattere, where the Alilaguna from the airport stops. The rich can take a water taxi to the door.

• Independent_Traveler's Profile Photo

Hotel American

Free internet access. Hotel was in a quiet part of Venice, away from the tourist area. There was a fresh seafood market nearby. Breakfast was good.

It is rates in summer is 130 Euro per night for double .

I am not really sure if this is the average price or above average.

Directions: Dorsoduro area in the center of Venice

• davequ's Profile Photo

My favorite hotel in Venice

Despite the current name, Hotel American (Dinesen) is all Venice

I thought it was quiet, comfortable, a little expensive but worth the lire.

It sits in the Dorsoduro off the Grand Canal on the quiet Canal San Vio. Here's a live webcam of Canal San Vio from the Hotel.

Book in advance prior to high season, it is often full with few if any good rooms available.

Unique Quality: The view and location are outstanding, and the staff is very helpful.

Hotel American-Dinesen sits in my favorite part of Venice, in the quieter Dorsoduro section, south across the Grand Canal from the more boisterous San Marco side.

I recommend paying the extra for a room on the second floor with a canal-view balcony (room 201).

I thought it was worth the money at the time, (~$200 /night in Oct 2001), the rooms are bigger & better, & the canal view makes it worth it.

Price Update: High Season for the double room I had with the view (Room 201) is now ~370 Euros (with a "no-view" single going for 230 Euros). Not cheap
    In low season (beginning end of October, the same room 201 with the view is 140 Euros / night). Venice is expensive, and the Euro vs. dollar exchange is no help.

Directions: Vaporetto #1 or #82 stop Accademia, then walk east to Canal San Vio, then right 1 canal, it is on your left. Here's a MAP

• ahendley's Profile Photo

A Quiet Hotel in Dorsoduro

Located on the canal, Rio di San Vio, southeast of the Accademia Museum.

The room price is about average for Venice, but be aware that average in Vencie would be outrageously expensive anywhere else.

Directions: A water taxi from Marco Polo Airport to the hotel's approdo privato costs about 70 euros. Closest vaporetto stops are the Accademia in the Grand Canal and the Zattere in the Giudecca Canal.

More about Hotel American

The American Dinesen is an excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Sparafucile2007

The American Dinesen is an excellent hotel. If there is a better value for money hotel in Venice, I would like to hear about it !

We took advantage of the advance booking offer on the hotels website to get a 20% discount.

The previous reviews provide ample information about the hotel itself, so I have decided to add some practical information :-

Eating out in Venice can be expensive and be of poor quality. The hotel recommended us to go to the Taverna San Trovaso which is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and offers excellent food and great value. More information is available at ----. One word of warning, the restaurant opens at 7:00, but by 8:00 the locals and well informed tourist have to wait for tables.

Transferring from the Airport to Venice is a bit of a challenge and navigating the warren of back alleys, bridges and canals to find your hotel when you are tired and have all of your luggage with you can be painful. A great solution is the Alilugana boat service from Marco Polo Airport. The Red line takes you from the Airport to Zattere. The American Dinesen Hotel is a 5 minute walk max from the pier. The journey takes about 1.5 hours, but if you consider it to be a lagoon tour, then it’s a great way to transfer to and from the airport and offers great photo opportunities. The cost is 10 Euros per person and timetables can be downloaded from ----.

I love Venice and hope to return again to stay at the American Dinesen.
Have a great time on your trip.

Beware - as of 11/22/04 canal is drained!

We were going to stay at the Hotel American but had to make last minute changes to our trip and stayed at another hotel. We walked by the Hotel American only to find that most of the canal has been drained and construction is going on during the day - the canal has a sort of temporary fence around it. If the canal/view thing is important to you check with the hotel and make sure the construction is done!

Great Location, Good service, Fair Price

Given the prices of hotels in Venice, this is a very good choice. It is near the Academia bridge, and has views over a small canal as well as (distant) views of the Grand Canal to the right. Be sure to ask for one of the rooms facing the canal in advance of your stay. Ours had three balconies! Decor is very 'Venetian' but clean and well done. Bathrooms are brand new and excellent. Breakfast is hearty, with a great choice. Staff extremely friendly all round. We chose this hotel because of some reviews on Tripadvisor and we would definitely stay here again. Not necessarily the cheapest option in Venice, but you won't feel leaving you got anything other than value for money.

Loved Hotel American..

by TripAdvisor Member Jillgoes2europe

In April 2005 I took a group of 8 people to Venice and we stayed at Hotel American. I had had a lot of trouble deciding what rooms we wanted so there were a lot of emails and changes to our original reservation. When we arrived at the hotel I was a little afraid they may not be too happy to see me. In fact, when we arrived we were greeted with warmth and friendliness. We even had a few laughs together over all the emails.

The rooms were a little small compared to US standards but they were absolutely charming. Most had painted furniture and all of them were delightful. I was fascinated with the bathrooms. They were small yet everything was so well thought out and convenient to use that there was no problem. There were extras like a magnifying mirror and a little clothes line over the tub. The tile was beautiful and so were the mirrors that were cut in curves to mimic the fancy Venetian mirrors you may have seen. Every time we came into our picturesque room I was surprised again at the charm and at all the thoughtfulness put into the room.

We had not requested a room with a view so I was surprised to see the tiny balcony window on the side of our room Granted it did not overlook the pretty canal out front but it added a certain charm and I loved going over there and looking out to the left and right to get a tiny glimpse of the outside.

Breakfast was in a wonderful room that must have been a bar or restaurant at one time.
Everything was perfect and you could ask for a second cappuccino if you wanted. I used the internet point quite a bit and really appreciated it. It was easy to use and there was no charge.

The absolute best thing was the lobby - not the furnishings but the people behind the desk. They were completely friendly and helpful. I recommend you try to make some conversation with them and get to know them a little. Your souvenir will be fond memories I’m sure.

By the way, they are thinking of renaming it. Hotel American is a little bit of a strange
name for a hotel that is so Venetian – both in décor and people. As far as I am concerned, I love it as it is. I think the name draws attention and then when you are there you are so totally charmed by this completely “Venetian” hotel that you might find yourself trying to figure out why they called it Hotel American.

Even while you are in this beautiful city with all there is to see and do you are thinking about your charming hotel and how it got its name….

Jill Midtbo
Colleyville, Texas

Highly Recommended

by TripAdvisor Member Nel-PA

My family of 5 booked a double and triple room for three nights at the Hotal American in July of 05 based on reviews from this site. It was an excellent choice. The rooms were lovely. The decor and drapery were classic venetian with little balconies overlooking a canal. The bathrooms were sparkling as were the rooms and the air conditioning worked great. The staff was very helpful with restaurant recommendations etc. The breakfast room was charming with excellent food and service. We loved the location which was near a vaporetto stop yet away from the crowds at San Marco. We would definitely stay there again and highly recommend it to all!

Comments