Santa Croce 686, Venice, Veneto, 30135, Italy

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 58% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• starship's Profile Photo

Ancient Villa Now a Hotel on the Grand Canal

Thanks to the hotel tip from fellow-VT'r "Herkbert's" Venice page, we chose the Hotel Antiche Figure for our first visit to Venice! The hotel was an oasis to return to after our daily ventures into the heart & soul of Venice.

Located in the "Sestiere" or district of Santa Croce, the hotel was perfectly placed to be our window on Venetian life. Located in a virtual transportation vortex, the Antiche Figura was within a minute or two walking distance of the Piazzale Roma bus depot, St. Lucia Train Station, Vaporetti Stop Ferrovia, water taxis, the "People Mover," not to mention a gondola wharf. The hotel also garners regards for its position next to the iconic, verde gris dome of San Simeon Piccolo Church and is within easy sight of the amazing facade of the Church of St. Maria of Nazareth, more commonly known as the "Chiesa degli Scalzi".

Our comfortable, quad room was charmingly furnished in Italian Provincial, and though a little cramped, had everything we needed plus a large, elegant bathroom. The 4 beds were dressed in blue & gold brocade and wrapped in crisp white sheets. Drapes and thickly glazed windows did a fine job of keeping the noise from below reaching our canal-facing room. Air-conditioning kept it cool when the daily temperatures and humidity rose from the mid to upper 80'sF. The well-hidden minibar was a good place to keep cold drinks & water. Prior to our cruise we occupied Room 311 which faced the canal but had no balcony. On our last night in Venice, we occupied Room 211 which was identical to that upstairs except it possessed one of the 4 very welcomed balconies.

The elegant bathroom actually had two Venetian glass sconce lights mounted on the mirror above the dual green marble sinks, and came supplied with nice toiletries and plenty of fluffy towels.

The breakfast which is included in the room price was by all accounts from my family the best we have had in Italy. The buffet table literally groaned with 2 types of croissants, breakfast cookies, rolls, apricot tart, layered-cake, fresh fruit, nuts, cheese, yogurt, cold cuts and the best salami. Available in the next area were juices, coffee, hot chocolate and a variety of cereals. The waitress would bring you a cappuccino or espresso if so desired.

The lobby was very small but had a computer free of charge for guests' use. There was a delightful room opposite of the lobby which had several small tables at which you could enjoy a cocktail or beer, but the nice looking bartender could also make a fabulous cappuccino! This room would be particularly cozy on a chilly or rainy day in Venice! However since we visited when the weather was particularly nice weather, we enjoyed the area just outside of this room where the hotel had about 6-8 tables with umbrellas to shield you when the sun became too hot. Great place for a cold Stella Artois and bowl of snacks!

Unique Quality: While by no means inexpensive, the comfortable room with excellent bath, and charming furnishings in the vintage villa are enough to warrant a stay at the Hotel Antiche Figure if for no other reason; luckily, there are numerous other reasons including the helpful and friendly of the staff who also make the best cappuccinos ever! Some of our family's fondest memories of Venice will be the balmy evenings we spent sitting just outside our hotel watching activities on the canal.

Note: In the lobby & sitting area near the bar, notice the heavily decorative, painted ceiling beams which are original to the hotel since its days as a Venetian villa. At one time, the hotel's exterior featured painted murals further enhancing the facade which already featured 4 small balconies.

Note: This hotel is expensive in season; book ahead as early as possible for best pricing.

Directions: Only two short bridges from the Piazzale Roma and directly across from the St. Lucia Train Station and Ferrovia Vaporetto stop --- Santa Croce Sestiere.

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

Great hotel in a great location

Loved the Hotel Antiche Figure. From the moment we walked in, we felt welcomed and comfortable. The front desk staff, as well as all the others, were very friendly and helped us check in quickly after our long flights. Our room was very nice. It was a good size, was very clean and nicely appointed. We had a grand canal view room with a balcony and big windows to let in fresh air and sunlight. There was a desk and also a table and chairs to relax.

The bathroom was big and very clean. It had a nice big sink, wc, bidet, and tub/shower combination. The closet had plenty of room and included a safe.

Back to the staff. They were very friendly and helpful. Provided us with a map and suggestions for wandering around the city, as well as nice dining choices.

There is also a bar with some tables outside to enjoy a drink or two and do some people watching by the canal.

Breakfast was available and provided plenty of choices. If you wanted something grander, there are places near the hotel that you could check out, but it isn't necessary as breakfast was good.

We would definitely return to the hotel and would recommend it to others.

Unique Quality: The hotel is located in Santa Croce, which gives you great access to the train and bus stations. Considering the city has canals and bridges that you have to maneuver with luggage, it's hard to go wrong with a very nice hotel, reasonably priced and close to the transportation terminals.

Directions: The hotel is located directly across from the train station and about a 5 minute walk from the bus station.

• obcbreeze's Profile Photo

Right on the Grand Canal

Charming boutique hotel, just a few steps from the Scala Bridge on the Grand Canal. It's located right across the canal from the Santa Lucia Train station, which worked out well for us, as we did a day trip to Florence.

Unique Quality: The personal service you receive from the front desk staff is wonderful. They took time to make sure we understood their directions and had wonderful restaurant recommendations.

Directions: We took the bus from Marco Polo Airport to Piazzale Roma, then it's about a 5 minute walk along the
    Grand Canal to the hotel. There are 2 bridges to navigate.

• Alemaker's Profile Photo

Beautiful Hotel Across Canal From Train Station

Stayed here in April 2006, with my 16 year-old son. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helped us with directions and recommendations.

Very convenient if you arrive in Venice by train. It will take you less than 10 minutes to get to the hotel from the main station.

We were given a room with a balcony...one of two available...great view (See pics below).

Unique Quality: Being so close to the train station is a huge benefit. The ferrovia station (Water taxis) is also right at the train station as well.

Wander through the streets of Venice...Get lost...a lot...find Piazza San Marco (just follow the crowds)...Have a drink...Hop a water taxi at San Zaccaria/Pieta station (5e)... and relax while it takes you back to the Ferrovia...and your hotel...so easy.

Directions: Directly across Main Canal from Train Station...Walk out of the station... turn left...then cross the Scalzi bridge...turn right...the hotel is about 125 meters down.

• EstherM's Profile Photo

Great Place!

We stayed at this hotel for one day at the end of a long cruise. We had a view of the Grand Canal that was like a dream. The location was very good unless you desire to stay in San Marco, which we did at the beginning of our trip.
    This hotel is across the bridge to the train station and about an 8 minute walk to Piazelle Roma which is a center for taxi's buses and airport transportation.
    Because we had told them in advance that we were going to arrive early, our room was ready by 9:30 am. The ammenties were wonderful and the service very helpful and warm.
    The breakfast rooms had a nice choice and was elegant in its own way.
    I highly recommend this place but keep in mind the Santa Croce area has its own character. We were still able to walk everywhere from here with no problem.
    It is a good "post cruise" hotel because of its nearness to the cruise port and the ease of getting to the airport from there.

Unique Quality: Views and service, top notch.

Directions: Start at Piazelle Roma and walk east on the same side of the Grand canal. Cross two little bridges keeping the Grand Canal on your left. If you reach a big church with gigantic Corinthian columns, back up a few yards and there is the hotel.

• AnnS's Profile Photo

A Perfect Base In Venice

A beautiful small hotel in a lovingly restored historic building. Great location, opposite the Railway Station and Vaporetto (water taxi) stop and a short walk from the Airport Bus Terminal in Piazzale Roma, although if you're unfit, you should know that there are 2 small bridges to cross, which is tricky with heavy luggage. You can walk through the little streets to St Mark's Square in about 30 mins or take a water bus and sail down the Grand Canal in about 25 mins.

On arrival, we were given a very warm welcome by Gianni, who explained about the hotel and gave us maps with the phone number of the hotel in case we got lost during our stay and needed rescuing.

My friend and I both had double rooms for single use, at an excellent 'Winter Special' rate of 72 euros a night, incl. breakfast. We chose superior rooms as we didn't want to pay for canal view deluxe rooms but we were very pleased with what we got. They were beautifully furnished, spotlessly clean and the large beds were comfortable. There was plenty of wardrobe space, an electronic safe big enough to accommodate my laptop, a suitcase rack and a minibar/fridge. The TV had CNN and BBC World in English. The marble bathrooms were lovely with full baths and efficient showers.

Breakfast was the usual continental buffet and was served in two pretty rooms at the back of the hotel. Each morning we were greeted by a lovely smiling lady who made sure there was ample food for everyone.

The cosy bar is adjacent to the front desk and there are also tables and chairs outside where you can sit and watch the world go by on the Grand Canal. There is a free Internet terminal in the lobby for guests' use and free broadband Internet is also available in the rooms if you have your own laptop.

I have been to Venice before, and stayed in a hotel with more stars, but for future trips, I will always choose the Antiche Figure.

Unique Quality: What makes this hotel so special is the staff - Alessandro (the Manager), Francesca and Gianni on the front desk, the lovely men who served us in the bar in the evenings and the friendly lady who cleaned our rooms. Nothing was too much trouble and they offered extra touches that make you feel like a truly valued guest. For instance, I didn't have the correct cable for my laptop so Alessandro lent me one for the duration of my stay; when it was raining, we were offered hotel umbrellas without asking; it was pouring when we left but Alessandro came out with us, right to the water taxi and helped us on board with our luggage.

Directions: From Piazzale Roma Bus Station, a few minutes' walk along the Grand Canal; opposite the Railway Station; water taxi stop right outside the hotel.

More about Hotel Antiche Figure

A true value in in pricey Venice

My wife and I stayed at the Antiche Figure for only two nights on April 12, 13, 2005. As with all of the hotels in our two week Italian tour, Tripadvisor was a factor in hotel selection. This hotel was THE nicest one we stayed in during our trip, and we selected hotels from the top of Tripadvisor's list in Rome, Sorrento, and Florence in the $250/nt price range.

The hotel is very well located to all forms of transportation, the train station and vaporetto stop right across the canal, and the bus/ land taxi station only a couple of blocks away in the Piazzale Roma. Getting to your hotel in Venice can be a real pain, but the Antiche Figure is ridiculously easy to get to no matter how you arrive in Venice. There is loads of shopping and eating three minutes walk away.

We had reserved a Canal view balcony room several weeks prior and reconfirmed via e-mail two weeks before our stay. No Problem! The room far exceeded our expectations, it was lavishly appointed in true Venetian style, spotlessly clean and all of the amenities were in perfect working order. One could spend nearly twice as much for the same room closer to the Rialto bridge or San Marco, but there is no reason to do so if you can book this Hotel! It offers the true Venice experience with the added benefit of fronting on one of the widest and longest canal-side promenades in the city (Great people watching).

We preferred to hear to the sounds of Venice at night by leaving the balcony door open, but if noise bothers you (which is not that much to begin with), everything is double-paned and you can close the door/window and shut out the noise.

The staff is very helpful and make every effort to make sure your needs are met. Thank You, Hotel Antiche Figure for making our too short stay in Venice so fabulous!!

Hard to beat for price

Stayed in the Antiche Figure for two nights 16-17 March 2005. It is cleaner, more modern, and has a friendler more professional staff than any other three star I have ever stayed in in Italy. It would be highly unlikely to find a less expensive, nicer hotel on the Grand Canal. If it could improve its booking system and elaborate its breakfast buffet it might even merit another star.

Wonderful boutique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member italianmama58

After spending 6 days touring Tuscany we settled into our room at the Antiche Figure and were pleasantly surprised. We had booked through our local AAA and not knowing what to expect found the room small but very well appointed. Although the bathrooms were small, they were aptly appointed. The beds were very comfortable and the A/C worked nicely. The hotel staff was wonderful and the breakfast was sufficient and tasty. We knew the hotel fronted the Grand Canal but did not request a canal room. So our only regret was our view was of the side of an adjacent building. We should have been smarter and requested a canal view room. Our mistake. But we didn't spend much time in our room anyway!
The bar/cafe off the lobby offered a wonderful Bellini, not to be missed. A perfect end to a beautiful day.
Would definitely stay at the hotel again!

What a charming hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member HDM

We've just returned from 3 days at the Antiche Figure and we loved it! It's absolutely charming and elegant and spotlessly clean. It's across from the train station which was perfect for us since we were coming into Venice by train from Florence and all we had to do was wheel our suitcases across the bridge and practically into the door of the hotel.

It's true that you will have to ride a few stops longer on the vaporetto to get to some places but hey, it's not exactly a hardship riding down the Grand Canal of Venice. That said, if you like to walk, it's not difficult to walk to the Rialto area. We did it several times.

I had originally booked a room on the city-side of the hotel because I was concerned about noise since my husband is a light sleeper but my younger (but wiser) sister insisted that it was a waste to book a Canal-front hotel and not get a Canal-front room. I had originally booked on expedia but since Venice was our last stop in Italy and we were only going to be there three nights, I threw caution to the winds and paid 45EUR extra per night for a deluxe room. And was I ever glad! Our room (room 201, I think) had a little balcony that looked out onto the Grand Canal, gondolas and vaporetti. The room was large with a king-sized bed, an extra single bed, lots of closet space and a beautiful Murano-glass chandelier. The bathroom was incredible -- all wood and marble with three matching glass chandelier sconces on the mirror and a large bath/shower. Noise was no problem at all. It's not a particularly noisy area, despite the busy streets, and the windows are double-glazed with heavy wooden shutters that can be closed as well.

The lobby and lobby bar were charming (check out the painted ceiling beams in the lobby) as were the breakfast rooms. The breakfast buffet, although not the fullest we had on our trip, was certainly ample -- soft boiled eggs, baked goods, cheese, ham, cereal, juice fruit. My only complaint (and it's very minor) was that they had a machine that made coffee, cappuccino, espresso and hot chocolate and I would have prefered 'hand-made'. The Antiche Figure is plain on the outside but very charming and elegant on the inside. We loved it and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Problems with Reservation (again!)

As with another reviewer who contributed on September 14, 2004, I had a confirmed reservation at the hotel with a Grand Canal View. I had booked this at a special Expedia rate a month prior to my arrival and had confirmation of the booking. However upon arrival (I arrived at 6 pm) I was told that there had been a problem with my reservation and they had booked me into another hotel five minutes away. As it happens, this was also on Piazze Roma and instead of a view of the Grand Canal, I was afforded views of the main bus station out front and a car park out back. I too was upgraded to a 'Suite', although in any 4* hotel in the USA this would have qualified as a normal room in terms of its size.

Although this was perfectly acceptable to me as I was there on business (the room at the 'new' hotel was clean and recently renovated, and the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful) I have to admit I would have been furious had I been there on a romantic weekend.

I have raised this issue with Expedia and asked them to investigate. However, in the meantime, if you really want to stay at this hotel and have a room with a view, I too would encourage people to also receive confirmation (preferably in writing) directly from the hotel that the hotel have not only received the reservation (which undoubtedly they will have), but that the hotel will honour it and not move the guest to another hotel.

HOTEL ANTICHE FIGURE any comments

by noogakid

posted this a while back but no reponses. Would love comments if known.

thanks

RE: HOTEL ANTICHE FIGURE any comments

by worldinabag

Hi

This link may help - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187870-d289202-r3610736-Hotel_Antiche_Figure-Venice_Veneto.html

See ya