SS Filippo e Giacomo, Calle del Figher, Venice, Veneto, 4365, Italy

San Pietro di Castello VeniceSan Pietro di Castello Venice

Arco del Paradiso Castello VeniceArco del Paradiso Castello Venice

Christmas Eve Midnight Mass

by suvanki

2 years ago I was in Venice and planned to go to Christmas Eves Midnight Mass at San Marco- but was put off by the huge queue, and some of the people in the queue wearing santa hats/ reindeer antlers etc.I ended up staying outside and witnessing the service on a TV screen from a doorway!

Last year I was staying in Cannaregio and planned to go to Midnight Mass at a smaller church. I ended up following a small group from near my hotel, who I guessed were heading for a church service, and was surprised to find they were heading for San Marco.So as I was there, I decided to go in (it was only a short queue, and I got a seat). I enjoyed the proceedings (apart from the many camera flashes going off/ phone cameras etc)I'm not religious, but I didn't think it was too appropriate. The sight of the gold dome, when the lights went on at midnight and the bells ringing out made up for this though!
This year I'd like to go to midnight mass preferably somewhere other than San Marco. So any suggestions? I know that not all churches in Venice open for Midnight mass.
I'm staying on an island off Venice, so it doesn't really matter which sestierie it is in - There is transport back arranged (I hope!)
I'd welcome any suggestions.
Best Wishes,
Sue X

Re: Christmas Eve Midnight Mass

by rocee

Hi Sue - I am surprised that none of the savvy VT'ers living in Venice have answered you yet. So, I am sending this web address which might help. It lists mass times for churches in Venice by sestierie. It's in Italian but easy to figure out: acvenezia.net/parrocchie/orarimesse. I appreciated your comments on appropriate behavior and headwear in church even though I am not religious myself. I used the website to find times for my sister who is religious - we can't stay anywhere in Venice that is not within 5 minutes of a church for her to go to mass every morning, usually the Scalzi church in Cannaregio. You might ask at your hotel, or as you are walking around the city check the mass times posted outside the churches. One of my favorites is Miracoli but for some reason I don't see it on the list, hmm, I know it's very popular for weddings. Maybe now you'll get a flood of answers telling me I'm wrong. Oh, well. I'm sure you'll find something. Rosemary

Travel Tips for Venice

Stay for some nights! Avoid beeing a day tourist!

by venica

If possible ,don't go there just for the day, like most tourists do!! Spend at least one night or so. San Marco, Rialto should be seen and enjoyed when all the 'regular' tourists are gone. San Marco is the most beautiful place you can be, especially late in
the evening and at night-time. Even when it's flooded... Stay up all night
or get just a few hours sleep... take a walk early in the morning around 4-5 o'clock. Enjoy the smell from freshly baked bread, the only sound is your own footsteps.... very romantic, if that's what you want your vacation to be :-) Sip a coffee at 5 in the small bar close to Rialto. Venice is so much more than San Marco, Basilica and Palazzo Ducale!

Take a boat to Torcello and the other islands in the lagoon, sit down at Punta Dogana, and enjoy Venice from the 'outside'. Go to the fish market close to Rialto early in the morning... go and see where Marco Polo and Vivaldi lived...There is a lot of good books to read about Venice and also some very good informative web sites like the one I will mention later.
Venice has so much to show and things to do to make your trip completely different from
seeing all other cities!

If Venice is hot and sweaty, take a vaporetto to Lido.
When you arrive there, just follow the main road crossing the island of Lido. To a normal healthy 'walker', it takes about 15 min to get to the south side of Lido where you find a long nice beach Venice is history, culture, music, art, spending a nice day at the beach, enjoy some nice food and wine... in Venice you get it all!! But, sorry to say, Venice now has got several McDonalds. The first one
appeared about five years ago. Many years ago Venice had problems with the
plague... now they got McDonalds... :-) In Venice you should eat Italian
food, not burgers... be brave and try 'Pasta con Seppie'. Eat it; ask later about where the black colour comes from... Japanese tourists seem to love it, especially men, I've noticed. Wonder why :-))
Seen the movie/read the book 'Death in Venice' written by Thomas Mann (6/6-1875 - 12/8-1955)? This novel became famous because of the film made by Luchino Visconti in 1971.
The novel and film you should really read/watch before going to Venice! It's
about the German author Gustav von Aschenbach and his journey to Venice and
Lido. At Lido Aschenbach lives in the Hotel Des Bains at Lungomare Marconi 17, at the south side of Lido. It's easy to find: when you get off the vaporetto, cross the street and follow that 'main street' to the other side
of Lido. When you reach the other side there's a new main road (Lungomare Marconi), turn right for about 100 m. and you can have lunch at the famous
hotel from the film. It's worth seeing ! The hotel has a large private beach as well. Early in the spring/summer and until the middle of June, you can go there for free.
What makes Venice so special.....:
To wake up to the sound of church bells and the pigeons, take a swim and have lunch on the beach at Lido. Listen to some music from Café Florian at San Marco late in the evening. To walk around in Dorsoduro, Castello, have some wine on a small cafe, watching people passing by. To sit at the bar at Rialto, look at the amazing life on the Grand
Canal... and more... and more... Venice is the place that really gets under
your skin!

Pose for pictures in San Marco...

by littlesam1

Pose for pictures in San Marco Piazza. Here you find the two guys wearing hats standing in San Marco Piazza. Its getting to the point now where we are beginning to get self conscious about wearing the hats in our travel pictures. But if you are traveling and see us you will recognize us by the hats!

Canals - one way

by Martin_S.

Okay, so Venice is the city of canals, but it is also a city with laws and one of them is in plain sight here, this canal is a ONE WAY canal, the water only flows one way...
And if you believe that I have a deal for you, the London Bridge is going cheap ^O^.
But seriously the canal here is narrow and many of the boats would not be able to pass each other, so it is restricted to one way, just like with us landlubbers.

There's 300 bridges in Venice...

by Patricialuv

There's 300 bridges in Venice (don't think I counted them, I read that info in a book):)
If you're not upto crossing all those bridges (they're not all big, some are really short and small), then go in a gondola, or if money short, just get into what I called 'boat bus', they're like buses, but they travel in the water....it does take time to get from point A to point B. For example it took me around 25 minutes from the main bus stop (near the bridge of sighs) to the train station.)

Venice Marathon

by fishandchips

This marathon is a fast one run over a very flat course. The run starts in Stra and finishes on the Island. The course takes you along beside the bay and on to Mestre before turning and crossing the link to Venice where you run along side the Giudecca Canal, over the bridge by the Accademia. As you have all of the wonderful sights to keep your mind away from feeling the pain too much this marathon is a good one to try if you are thinking about an overseas venture. There is also a half marathon option which is my choice for this event in 2007.

You can see the course at the weblink below. Make sure you bring your own shoes etc. The run is in October so can be a bit cooler. I would recommend that you also bring your own carb loading gear as this sort of thing is not always easy to find in a foreign land.

Comments