Salizzada San Pantalon 130, Venice, Veneto, 30135, Italy

More about Venice

Ae Oche - Venezia - donations detailsAe Oche - Venezia - donations details

Bellinis on Campo Santo StefanoBellinis on Campo Santo Stefano

Ponte dei ScalziPonte dei Scalzi

Pigeons at Piazza San Marco, Venice, ItalyPigeons at Piazza San Marco, Venice, Italy

Mask shops, your vote?

by SandiM

I want to find the best Mask shop in Venice known for its window displays so I can photograph it (since I am not allowed to take photographs inside). Do you have a favorite? Let me know! I have a decent map of the area so directions would be appreciated. Also, I love to buy unusual glass pendants when I'm in Venice (huge spiral pendants, peacock feather types, etc) for around 15euros (the average price I paid in Calle di Acque). Where else can I buy unusual (and bigger sized) pendants for under 20euros? I will be visiting Cannaregio, San Marco, and Croce/Polo areas only (and Murano Island, of course!). thanks!

by travelgourmet

I found one of the best Mask Shops behind St. Marks Square. Not only do you get the mask shop but across the street is the factory where they make the masks. See my Venice pages for the "Local Custom" tip for address and the mask shop website: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/736c8/22643/

As for pendants, Murano is where to find all types. There are many shops to browse for blown glass. Look at my same Venice pages under the "Shopping" tips.

by KareninVenice

CaDelSole on Fondamenta Osmarin (not far from Chiesa San Zaccharia) will let you take photos inside the shop. He's wonderful!

by travelgourmet

Yes, Ca'del Sol is the mask shop I have a tip and photos under my VT Local Customs page for Venice. The actual VT webpage is: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/736c8/22643/a/
The artists are wonderful and they also will show you around. This mask shop is very close to St. Mark's Square.

Travel Tips for Venice

VENICE CARD/ORANGE

by Onedragon

i HAD ON-LINE RESERVED A VENICE BLUE CARD..BUT AFTER READING MORE ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE OF THE BLUE AND ORANGE CARD.I BOUGHT THE ORANGE CARD AT THE VENICE AIRPORT WHEN I HAD ARRIVED.
THE VENICE ORANGE CARD REALLY SAVED ME TIME AND WAS SUPER CONVENIENT WHEN I WAS TRAVELING AROUND VENICE.ITGOT ME PASS A LOT OF LINES OF PEOPLE WAITING TO GET INTO MUSEUMS OR PLACES THAT THE CARD WAS GOOD FOR..ALSO I DIDN'T HAVE TO BE PULLING MONEY OUT OF MY POCKET ALL THE TIME WHEN I WANTED TO TAKE ONE OF THE BOATS OR BUSES SOMEWHERE.THAT WAS GREAT!!!!!!
THE CARD COVERED ALL TRANSPORTATION OTHER THAN WHEN I WOULD TAKE THE ALILAGUNA TO AND FROM THE AIRPORT.BUT WHEN I TOOK THE BUSES TO THE HOTELS AND AIRPORT ..THERE WAS THE CARD ..EASY AS EVER TO USE..
ALSO THERE WERE STORES THAT I SHOPPED THAT I COULD GET 10% OR MORE OFF BECAUSE OF THE VENICE CARD..
WHEN I PICKED UP THE CARD I ALSO RECEIVED A MAP OF VENICE AND THE PARTICLAR SHOPS THAT HONORED THE CARD.....VERY CONVENIENT!!!!
IF YOU ARE STAYING UP TO 7 DAYS ,..YOU HAVE TO ENJOY THIS CARD.. IN THE TIME OF MY STAY OF 7 DAYS ALL TOGETHER...6 PLUS 1 ..I WENT UP AND DOWN THE GRAND CANAL ABOUT 5 OR 6 TIMES...NOT HAVING TO PULL COINS OUT OF MY POCKETS..
THE CARD IS WORTH THE PURCHASE. . I PAID 69 EUROS??? MAYBE..BUT I SURE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF WHAT THAT CARD HAD TO OFFER..
YOU CAN RESERVE ONE BY GOING TO THEIR WEB SITE AND PICKING IT UP WHEN YOU GET TO THE AIRPORT. venicecard@venicecard.it phone# 39 04112424
even if you like the casinos this card can get you in..it is well worth it!!! VENICE CARD : DON'T SEE VENICE WITHOUT ONE!!!!!

The truth about the islands...

by ctorres1979

When we were in Venice we went on one of those three hour excursions that take you to the islands around Venice. They take you to Murano, Burano and Torcello. The one island we wished we could've spent more time in was Burano. Murano is all about trying to be sold one of the beautiful glass items that are made in one of the factories and that is it. Torcello is nice but you should know that there is about a fifteen minute walk from the dock to where you go see the old church where they say there is one of the nails from the cross that Jesus was nailed to. Burano was the island that I wish we could've spent more time on. It is so cute. You really feel like it is a place that is behind the times, in a good way. The different colored buildings, the little shops, restaurants. I'm dying to go back to this little island. I hope the next time we go back we can just go to Burano!

Take a moment to look at the...

by sheryl_tan

Take a moment to look at the Ducal Palace. Palazzo Ducale, a landmark you can't miss even before you set foot into Venice. You will also be able to see the columns of Staint Marco and Staint Todaro, the city's patron saints overlooking the St. Mark's Basin. Even though it was under restoration at the time of my visit, the palace was still beautiful.

Striped Mooring Poles

by grandmaR

The stripes on the mooring poles in Venice remind us of barber poles. I was thinking - Hey ... It's the Barber of Seville -- Not the Barber of Venice. The gondoliers wear striped shirts, but they aren't barbers.

Actually the pole colors represent families of the aristocracy of Venice that owned the pole (serving as a parking place), and the gondoliers wore corresponding shirt colors. The poles really have no relation to barber poles.

I have pictures of red and white, blue and white, yellow and salmon, yellow and white, aqua and white, green and blue and many other combinations. Some poles are unpainted, and some are a solid color. I wonder if those are kind of like loading zones, or official vehicles only or something like that.

According to Wikipedia, "the red and white stripes symbolize the bandages used during the (barbering) procedure: red for the blood-stained and white for the clean bandages. Originally, these bandages were hung on the pole to dry after washing. As the bandages blew in the wind, they would twist together to form the spiral pattern similar to the stripes in the modern day barber pole. The barber pole became emblematic of the barber/surgeon's profession. Later the cloths were replaced by a painted wooden pole of red and white stripes."

Read a lot about Venezia...

by Pavlik_NL

Read a lot about Venezia before going. This town has such an amazing history that you can only understand about architecture and atmosphere, when you know about it's past. The Venezian empire connected not only the mediterranean sea but influenced the whole of Europe in it's glory days. Further East, Marco Polo, opened up the world over land.

Comments