Hotel Leon D Oro

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 55% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Venice

The Strong Little ManThe Strong Little Man

A view of the basilica's naveA view of the basilica's nave

Just find your trackJust find your track

Visitors to the Jewish museumVisitors to the Jewish museum

When will Venice renovations be complete?

by beccajean_14

My family will be in Italy March 2011. I read this article from October 2010 that many of the buildings we would want to see in Venice are being renovated and are covered by massive billboards (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/battle-over-giant-billboards-in-historic-venice-20101005-164xq.html). We want to go to Venice when we are there in March, but if renovations are still going on, I would rather wait. I've been trying to figure out if these renovations will be done before March, but I've had no luck searching online. Does anybody know what we could expect in March? Or do you have any idea who we might be able to contact for that information? Thank you!

by Fluffy_bunny

Venice is always under renovations and likely will be for our lifetime. I've been 4 times over a 5 years spread and every time i go something is being fixed (sometimes the same something)

by xymmot

locate the Venice tourism board and send a e-mail to them or the official tourism board in Venice...Venezia board of tourism. even though they have renovations going on, there is a lot of sites to see. Good Luck Chees Tommy x

by petersnice

Never.

by Flying.Scotsman

This thread reminds me of the story of the tourist, having visited the colliseum in Rome, sent a postcard home saying: "It will be nice when it's finished". I think the article you read was probably written by a "glass half empty" person. Just go to Venice and enjopy it - it's an amazing place. I have a few tips on my Venice pages http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1103b9/22643/ Enjoy Venice! Bruce

by al2401

Everywhere I went in Europe there was something under construction/restoration/renovation. As the Scotsman says - enjoy! I actually took photographs of the scaffolding in Assissi because it was so attractive!

by KakapoTheParrot

We have an ongoing joke in our family that every famous building we visit has scafolding on it. I guess we should be grateful that people take care of the buildings that we want to visit. All my photos of the Dome of the Rock have scaffolding covering gold ;-(

It might lessen the effect of your photos of some parts of Venice but you won't be short of stunning views.

by domenicococozza

I belong to an organsiation called Venice in Peril.
This is a society dedicated to the renovation and preservation of Venice.
The restoration is an ongoing project with no end in sight. The entire city is sinking - there is no quick fix for this and works could take another century, by which time it will be time to stsrt again.
It's the nature of the beat I'm afraid.

by beccajean_14

Thanks all for your advice and wisdom :) We will go and enjoy Venice I'm sure!

Travel Tips for Venice

Museums around St Marks Square

by puerto_lover

The Doges Palace is one of the best museums in Venice. The palace buildings date from 14th C and include some wonderfully decorated rooms and of course the entry to the prison across the Bridge of Sighs.
There is sometimes a long queue to obtain entry ticket here. One tip to avoid this wait is to start the tour of museums in St Marks Square at the 'other end'. The side opposite to the Basilica on the west is home to Museum Correr. If you stand in the middle of the square with your back to the Basilica , in front of you is the museum building with a central staircase leading you to the first floor where you can buy your ticket for all the museums in the area. This ticket allows you to walk into the Doges Palace using the pre reserved queue. Cost (July 2009) for the INTERO SAN MARCO PLUS ticket : €13 (discounts available so study prices)
The Museum Correr has some fine exhibits and you should try to spend time here. Different rooms display a rich variety of works including a Canova sculpture Daedalus & Icarus.
The Museum Pass ticket you buy is actually valid for 3 months so if you don't have the energy to take in all museums on your first day, then save it for another day !

See the area around St. Marks....

by steventilly

See the area around St. Marks.
St. Marks, The Doges Palace, the waterfront of St. Marks Basin, the views across to St. Maria Della Salute and San Giorgio Maggiore are probably the most famous and beautiful things in Venice. If you're here for the day then naturally this is what you'll want to see, but if you're here for longer, be sure to get away from this area too, and see what Venice has to offer 'off the beaten path'.

Venice Tip

by london.gal

Bring out your masks, your medieval costumes (the more EYECATCHING it is, the better). It's CARNIVAL TIME here in Venice!!!!!!!!!! This definitely beats the one in Rio anytime, baby!!!!!!! That's me trying to get some attention??? Of course NOT!!! That's one of the performers I spotted along the streets. Isn't she pretty?? Haha!!

Venice - old buildings, new colors

by Martin_S.

As you wander the streets of Venice, be sure to get lost on some of the side streets, you will find many small places that the tourists miss. This trip Asli, Lorenzo, Zohara, Tal and I did not have enough time to enjoy this "hobby" of getting lost. But we did see some interesting architecture, the old mixed with the really old, the renovated mixed with the rundown.

Venetian bridges

by montezaro

There are hundreds of small bridges in Venice across the canals, and although most of them look similar, each one is different.
This one is situated in Campo Castello, which is less crowded by the tourists. Here or in Campo Canneregio I was finaly able to be on my own enjoying in pieceful and quite idyllic atmosphere.

Comments