Dorsoduro 2792-2794/A-2792/B, Venice, 30123, Italy

Costs 45% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Palazzo Stern

Great hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member piet51

Hotel Palazzo Stern is on the Grand Canal in the Dorsoduro area. Rooms with a view are more expensive, but by sticking my head out of my room I could see the canal! The room was somewhat small but v comfortable and the bathroom was great.

the staff was friendly and extremely helpful. The hotel is very clean.

the hotel is steps from the vaporetto stop, Ca Rezzonico (hope that's the correct spelling). 10 minutes from the Accademia. Lots of restaurant nearby. I had a very enjoyable stay there and would go again.

Georgeous Hotel - Perfect Location!

by TripAdvisor Member TeamSus

We stayed at the Hotel Palazzo Stern for two nights in early April, and loved it! We booked the "Suite", not the "Junior Suite", and were in a two-room true suite, with a separate, large bedroom. The hotel staff had set up the "sitting" so it had two twin beds, which was great for our boy/girl teens, but if you had younger kids, they could probably just stay in the pull-out sofa bed, which seemed a little larger than a queen. The bath was quite large, and had a air-jet tub with a separate shower.

The staff was delightful and helpful. The veranda was a great location for a morning coffee or an evening glass of wine. Breakfast was great, and served from 7:30 to 10:30.
The vaporetto (water bus) was a 30 second walk, so it was ultra-convenient.

We chose the Suite because while we had the advantage of a Grand Canal front hotel, we didn't necessarily want to listen to the noise at night. The room was very quiet.

I put a "4" for value, only because I didn't do a lot of pricing. We chose based on convenience and the quality of the hotel.

Overall, a super stay!

Fantastic New Year break

by TripAdvisor Member chankley

The Palazzo Stern is a fantastic hotel. We stayed for three nights in found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. The room was decorated beautifully and more importantly it was lovely and warm. It was great to go back each night to a turned down bed with chocolates and the following days weather forecast on your pillow. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience of having a rooftop jacuzzi on New Years day - even in the snow, the view was wonderful. Breakfast was great with a selection of pastries and cereals to choose from, as well as bacon and eggs. The location of this hotel was just right, with a twenty minute walk to St. Marks square and a ten minute walk to the bus station. We counted 8 bridges on the way to St. Marks with lovely little shops that were truely Venitian. We liked the fact that is was not in the middle of crowds of tourists and their related shops. There are plenty of restaurants nearby. We will certainly go back to the Palazzo Stern, probabaly in the summer, so that we can sit on the great terrace and have breakfast and watch the comings and goings of the Grand Canal.

Tripadvisor Rating doesn't adequately reflect the quality of this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member pearlbox

For 5 nights in December my husband, daughter and I shared a beautiful room in the Palazzo Stern with a view of the Grand Canal. The size and decor of the room was unsurpassed. It was more than comfortable for 3 people. The towels in the bathroom were large and fluffy and the beds were comfortable and turned down each night with a weather report and chocolate on our pillows. Its location is outstanding with a vaporetta stop right outside the door. The weather wasn't great and the rising tides often made it difficult to get around, but at no stage did it diminish our enjoyment of this remarkable city. I highly recommend this hotel for location and comfort in a city which can be overwhelming for choice.

Exquisite little hotel......

by TripAdvisor Member Historyman2

Having just read the previous review I felt compelled to bash the keyboards to offer an alternative view of the Palazzo Stern. My wife and I spent 4 days in Venice at probably the same time as PAshington and our experience was very different. We are sorry that this couple had such an average stay there, but it would be incorrect to believe that this was anything but a most exquisite little hotel in a most glorious position. (The Dorsodouro is where real Venetians live and yet is only a short walk from St Marks) What I saw of the hotel would suggest that a small fortune was spent renovating and furnishing the Palazzo Stern. The huge Murano glass chandelier in our room certainly was nothing like one would find at IKEA! We did have a quiet room overlooking the courtyard so we are not sure whether the noise from the vaporetto would have disturbed us but I'm sure that a view of the Grand Canal from one's window would have more than compensated for any noisy inconvenience.

The staff could not have been more helpful! Long before we got to the Italy, staff were sending me useful information about Venice and on how to reach the hotel from the airport. All staff were polite and quite charming. Our room was cleaned spotlessly every day . There was plenty for breakfast to satisfy the palate of all normal eaters.

Our stay in Venice was quite magical but with the falling value of the pound it was quite expensive.
The only seedy aspect of our stay was our visit to Murano. There is a huge effort to get tourists over to the island. In fact you are offered free rides in motor boats to seduce you over to see the glass blowing displays. But then one gets the hard sell. One is taken around the showrooms where it is hoped you will buy a hugely over priced piece of glassware. When that fails you are shown the rather tacky 5 euro, glass horses.
Worth a visit but only buy if you really want to.

A charming, enjoyable hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Tropicalbird

We stayed in room 304 in the Palazzo Stern which was beautiful - a jr. suite opening onto the Grand Canal. The Murano chandelier in our bedroom gave me great pleasure as I lay in bed gazing at it. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet - right on the terrace on the Grand Canal was just lovely with plentiful breakfast food.

The location in Dorsoduoro was fabulous with the vaporetto stop - Ca'Rezzonic- right outside. Occassionally there was some noise from the Grand Canal of a motor boat but that was not a problem and, in fact, I found the hotel very quiet.

We would definitely come back.

The only negative is I had to cancel the first 3 nights because I was sick and then wound up staying 5 nights. Their policy is to charge for the first cancelled night if given less than 72 hrs. in advance. So, indeed, they did charge us because they could not fill the room. They are absolutely in their right to do this as their policy clearly states it. But as a tourist, I am absolutely in my right to feel bad about it. When I expressed unhappiness, they gave us a beautiful gift of an expensive coffee table picture book of palazzi in Venice and offered a discount our next time there. So that was very nice.

Delightful hotel, friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member Saronno

I can confirm what has been said by previous reviewers. A really lovely, small hotel. Two things might be useful to know: the front terrace faces east, so good for morning sun, but not for the evening. The close-by vaporetto stop is on Route 1, which is great as there is a boat stopping every ten minutes. I had a room at the back; not sure if I'd be pleased to have paid extra for a room facing the canal, as the vaporetti drivers slam their diesel engines into reverse and hold them on full reverse whilst passengers disembark. Every ten minutes through to about 11.30pm might become a bit wearing? Apart from that it was a v quiet & peaceful hotel. Their web-site was very accurate and booking was easy.

Okay - but...

by TripAdvisor Member PAshigton

I would endorse many of the other reviewers’ favourable comments about this hotel.
However here are a few pointers. Be warned against room 104. It was nicely furnished and had two doors that opened onto the small side canal. We checked in after 10pm and thinking the room a bit on the small side we asked for another room. None were available but a room became available in the attic the next day. It only had windows high in the roof looking at the sky. One quick look was enough. We stayed in 104 and with a bit of minor rearranging of the furniture it was then just acceptable.

Room 104 backs onto the reception area on the ground floor and much of the reception noise can be heard inside the room. The receptionists’ conversation woke us the first morning. The banter and babble of day to day life is there to be heard, echoing around the place. Fortunately we didn’t understand the varying languages so it was just background noise.
The room above has [presumably,] uncarpeted wooden flooring, which was extremely noisy. Particularly annoying at twenty to midnight when the occupants walk around in high heels. Occasionally it seemed like cattle were being driven across the room. Conversations could also be heard. This is not the standard of noise insulation to be expected of this type of hotel, a comment that got little sympathy form the front desk at midnight. There was not much we or they could do about it of course but we thought it worth politely letting them know. The only option presumably was to ship out.

Some of the company’s web description also did not seem to be absolutely correct. For instance, it was only a quick look but the attic room looked to be new, all white and IKEA. Classic Venetian style? While the main common parts of the building were superb and period, the newer looking part looked stark and white walled. Personally, four nights in the attic at £150 a night, would have made me very unhappy.

For those interested in the roof top Jacuzzi, the rate in the room information folder was 70 euro an hour.
If small rooms are understandably synonymous with the older hotels of Venice so is the smell. Our bathroom constantly smelled - and it was not the canal or us – but it didn’t seem to put us off the place and it would have been pointless complaining but have marked down for this on cleanliness..
The room entrance door is also by a service cupboard door and although this was not a problem as it was not often used, the use of it totted up with the rest of the distracting noises.
After coming in very cold in the afternoon we couldn’t get the heating high enough but being reluctant to go to the desk [again] we lived with it. Eventually, frustrated I did take the few steps and apparently the reception desk control the heating so it was a simple matter of asking them to increase the limit. And again the following day. The information on this was not in the room folder and it was inconsiderate to expect us to request for the heating to be on.
There is a nice neat coffee/tea machine in the room but it is the cartridge type with no facility to deliver just hot water - and they don’t do decaff.
This is Venice.

Venice is the romantic capital of the world - enjoy!

by TripAdvisor Member Sophie2009London

We loved the Hotel Stern, we had room 301 and it was very comfortable, I did agree with an earlier comment that the tea/coffee machine was a bit limiting, no milk for the coffee and little option for just hot water to pour over a tea bag. The staff : Ludovico was most helpful before we left the UK sending us lots of information. Domenico kindly showed us the roof terrace and took our photo, and also showed us the 2nd floor murals where the family chapel once stood. This hotel is far enough away from the Rialto hub so lovely and quiet but extremely convenient with the water bus just outside the hotel. Be warned Venice is very expensive. We had a Belini in Harry's bar costing 17 euros each and then told we could only have the table for 1/2 hour! Eating out is also expensive and we felt that as UK citizens we are now feeling the pinch with the weak £ against the Euro, we did not get so much for our money. The water bus passes were great value though (purchase them on arrival for the duration of your stay), and it is certainly worth thinking outside the box and seeing some of the Islands like Burano and Torcello. We found it very easy to get around and everyone is very friendly. There is plenty to do for all tastes and we splashed out on a gondola ride as it was a special anniversary and the cost was £80 for sole use. If you are on a tight budget you can in fact share a gondola with lots of other people or take a trip just from one side of the bank to the other and that is cheap. Enjoy your stay, we did. Linda & Howard Evans

Venetian class including the glass

by TripAdvisor Member Baudolino

This was a pleasure to come to - literally a few steps from the vaporetto stop,right next to the the Palazzo Rezzonica museum (which you ought to visit, if just to see the Tiepolo ceilings), great decor with a lovely breakfast room with traditional windows. We started off in a downstairs room which had its own little private balcony over the side canal; unfortunately due to a power failure there we had to be moved upstairs after a couple of days. We also got cut off from the hotel one evening by aqua alta and had to take our shoes off and wade through icy water - but that's just Venice I guess!

San Giorgio Maggiore seen from Piazza San MarcoSan Giorgio Maggiore seen from Piazza San Marco

Motoscafo - Water taxi, inside.Motoscafo - Water taxi, inside.

Always BusyAlways Busy

Palazzo Ducale, the Gothic façade - Apr 09Palazzo Ducale, the Gothic façade - Apr 09

To Cindy or anyone who stayed at the "Casa Petit": how can I join the owners??

by Pomderen8

Reading a few reviews about that B&B, I really would like to stay there around New Year's eve this year; unfortunately I cannot manage to contact anyone at the number you posted here Cindy (+39 041 522 1227), I doubt if their website exists any longer, and there's no e-mail, just snail-mail info.

Could you, or anyone else, please give me better contact info of Casa Petit. Help much appreciated!!

Re: To Cindy or anyone who stayed at the "Casa Petit": how can I join the owners??

by leics

If no one is answering the phone, and there is no email or website (and there isn't, seemingly) then it seems very likely that the business no longer exists (at least under that name).

Have a look at www.venere.com for Venice bed & breakfasts. It's a reliable site with honest guest reviews, used by many VT-ers. Alternatively, try

by Pomderen8

That's what I was afraid of; I guess I better look at something that actually exists. Thanks you leics for your quick answer and your helpful links. I'll take a look ASAP and hopefully I can see Venice this year!! :)

by leics

I will keep all my relevant bits crossed for you! :-)

by lostsooner55

You may wish to view the following web sites for other possible lodging options: (1) www.ahotelinitaly.com, (2) www.knowital.com/veneto. Gary

Comments