Lista di Spagna, 262, Cannaregio, Venice, Veneto, 30121, Italy

Hostelworld.com Hotels.com HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Average

• Probably Won't Stay Here Again

The good things about Hotel Rossi--very near the train station and a very good price for Venice. The rooms are basic but totally fine and the beds were comfortable. A breakfast of coffee, rolls and jam is included, although your jaw may get a work out chewing those rolls. The front desk people were generally helpful with inquiries about how to get around the city and they provided us with a decent map.

But everything else about our stay was a comedy of errors and even though I wouldn't declare "don't ever stay at Hotel Rossi," I probably won't reward them with my business again.

I contacted the hotel in December about a 3 night stay in May. We requested a single room with two beds and they confirmed our reservation. When we arrived we were told that they did not have the room we requested. They "explained" that the mix up was because I had booked so far in advance. Something about how they don't actually open till March. As best as I understood it, they just replied 'yes' to me and to other guests, and then figured they'd work out the details later, when they opened. Unsurprisingly, it didn't all work out. After explaining the problem, he told me several times that "You see it is not our fault." Well, I didn't actually see that at all. And maybe it's too American of me but having a customer service person tell me over and over again that it is not their fault doesn't really ease my annoyance.

But since they were going to give us 2 rooms for the first night (no additional charge) and then switch us to our originally requested room, I didn't make a big deal about it.

Our rooms were on the 3rd and 4th floors. The 4th floor room was incredibly small and there was no bathroom on that floor at all. But even that we could have dealt with if it weren't for the fact that the room was like a sauna. At first we thought it was just because it was a warm day so we opened the window as wide as possible. But then I realized the heater was warm. We called down to the front desk to ask if there was any way it could be on and how we could turn it off. No, we were told that the heat was not on.

As we left for dinner, we encouraged him to check out the room--it was truly unbearably hot. He said he would of course check, but that of course the heat was not on. He was definitely doing his best not to be annoyed with us. When we came back there was a different person at the desk and the room was just as hot. You truly could not sleep there. We didn't feel like dealing with the front desk so we just so we moved everything back to the other room and dealt with the single bed.

On our way out for the day the following morning we told them we couldn't sleep in the room and received a shrug in response. Later did saw us and said that yes, it turns out we were right. The boiler was broken and stuck in the "on" position. But it was Sunday so there probably wouldn't be any repairs that day. We let it go because we were being moved to a different room. Although that one wound up being quite warm as well, we were just happy to be in our originally requested room at last.

After a long day of walking and sight seeing, we went back to our rooms to relax. A couple of hours later I was just starting to fall asleep (admittedly early but it was probably around 10 pm) when the phone rang and woke me up. The reception desk wanted to know how many days we were staying. Were we leaving tomorrow? No, we told them we intended to stay three nights--as we arranged when we made our reservations! Why were they calling us at 10 pm when they saw us retire to our room 2 hours before (and they did see us because they keep all room keys at the front desk)? I was starting to feel that Hotel Rossi was determined I not sleep soundly and comfortably in their establishment.

The next night, Monday, the boiler still wasn't fixed. But the windows and the ceiling fan and an evening rain kept us cool enough. Still, since there were no curtains, you had to have the shutters closed in order to keep out the sunlight (I tend to rise at first light if I can't block it out). So the choice was sleep in a sauna or rise at dawn. I chose to rise at dawn.

When we paid I kind of wanted to hassle the management for a discount but I just didn't have the energy. They certainly didn't offer any discounts.

There are lots of reasons for people to stay at Hotel Rossi. I doubt all the things that went wrong with our stay are likely to repeat for anyone else. But even though I'm a pretty forgiving traveler, I have to say I would have to be pretty desperate to give them a 2nd chance.

More about Hotel Rossi

MALTWHIX' san marino

by MALTWHIX

After being very nervous about my trip to San Marino,we had a great week playing in the San Marino cup.Although the place is very hilly and spread out all the people i met were excellent.
The Hotel Rossi coped with 20 under 16 footballers and several adults who liked a drink.
Nightclub SYMBOL well worth a visit.
Taxi from rimini to san marino cost 120000lira but between 5 of us only £6 ea approx

Italy 7 week trip

by joeco9

"Train Holiday in Italy"

Well here we were ,my wife and I in our sixtys and our birthdays coming up soon
My wife in May 08 and mine in June 08 , I was to turn 65 years and my wife ,
Well I best not go there but it would be safe to say younger than me , why not go
To Italy for our birthdays , so it was to the laptop to see what I could fit in a
Seven week holiday . As we always do on a trip to Europe we have a stopover
As it's a very long trip from Aust. To Europe , our stopover this time was to be
In KL. 4 days and staying at The Swiss Garden hotel . The next stop was to be in
Rome 3 days B&B/Hotel Rossi just a few streets down from Rome train station
Not the best move but very handy as we were to make more train trips. The last
Time we were in Rome was some 28 years ago . After the stay in Rome we took
The night train to Tourmina 3 days at Hotel Condore ,now to make a long story
Short the plan was to visit Catania , Siracusa, Naples , Sorrento, Florence,
Lucca, Pisa, Le Spezia, Cinqu Terre, Genova, Milan, Verona and Venice then
Back for two nights and again a two day stopover in KL , I hope to add more
Info and photos about each town as I get time .

"Lucca"

The beautiful walled city of Lucca was to be one of the longest stay
on our seven weeks holidaying in Italy .
we were to stay in a great ( but very small flat) for seven nights
so we got to know Lucca very well and found it ideally located for
day trips by bus . It seems each time one takes a walk one finds
an other great Piazza with many dinning options , a must see is
Piazza Anfiteatro .

"Piazza Anfiteatro"

The round square (Piazza)
Lucca's Piazza Anfiteatro is in fact round what a surprise it was , this is a great place
To sat at one of the many pavement cafes with a nice gelati and just watch the world
Go pass , a stoll around the piazza you will see a variety of souvenirs,book and music shops

Comments