Lista di Spagna, 184, Venice, Veneto, 30100, Italy

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Nice budget hotel on Lista di Spagna

Hotel Spagna is conveniently located just a short walk away from the Venice train and bus stations. Our room was much nicer than what I expected for a budget hotel in Venice - it was pretty large and very clean, though the beds were not the most comfortable I've ever slept in and the shower drain didn't work properly. We had a really nice view of the street but some other rooms at the back might have been a bit dark, so it's a good idea to ask for a room facing the street (it's not noisy at all once you shut the windows). On a couple nights, there were street musicians playing just below our room, which made for a very romantic atmosphere! We found the staff at the hotel to be quite helpful and very friendly. Breakfast was included and consisted of coffee, croissants, cheese and jam. It was pretty basic, but when the croissants weren't burned (which happened on a few occasions!) it was good enough, especially the coffee. Venice being so small, it was really easy to walk to all the attractions from our hotel - for example, it took us about 40 min to get to Piazza San Marco. There were quite a few restaurants in the area and also several markets where we could grab some food and a bottle of wine if we felt like spending a quiet evening in our room. I am aware that some of the hotel's little quirks might irritate some people, but for my part I very much enjoyed my stay at Hotel Spagna and truly felt like I was getting my money's worth, and then some.

Directions: Cannaregio, near the Santa Lucia train station

• unaS's Profile Photo

Second best

This hotel was reserved for me by the owners of the Ca della Corte B&B when they unexpectedly and without good reason canceled my reservation before I arrived without giving me any advance notice - see tip no. 1

It is in an old building on the same street as the train station. The whole street is lined with these cheap hotels. It is a walk-up building, dark and musty.

The room was quite large, the bed comfortable and the bathroom of good size.
    There was no hot water. The breakfast was very poor, the coffee lousy.

The noise from the street didn't stop all night.

Worst of all I had to pay the same rate as if I had been at the much more attractive B&B, because that was the deal they made with the management of this hotel.

Unique Quality: Dark and musty smelling.
    The manager is an unpleasant person.
    The street is noisy.
    The breakfast is poor and the coffee worse.
    No hot water for the shower.

Directions: Just 100 metres along the Lista di Spagna from the train station.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

A pleasant surprise

As most travel addicts would know, accommodation in Venice is not as budget priced as it is in many other parts of Italy, but unless one wants to couch surf or stay in dorm style accommodation in a hostel, there is very little choice but to pay up and shut up. I must admit that I am very fussy when it comes to accommodation, I must have my own shower and toilet for a start. In Italy, I also consider Aircon a necessity, so if I have to pay for these things, then that's what I'll do.
    The little Hotel Spagna delivered in every way. The room was well appointed and well maintained, though as I have come to expect, when booking single rooms, it was small. No matter, it served it's purpose very well for the price 90 Euro per night including an acceptable breakfast, in June.

Unique Quality: The location for train travellers is excellent. Not even 5 minutes from the station. This was also fabulous when we were leaving as we had a very early train to catch and there was not a worry about making it to the station in time. Even though the hotel is on an extremely busy street, the rooms were quiet.
    The desk staff were extremely helpful and offered all sorts of advice without even being asked. Where to go for a cheap meal. Walking directions (with map) to Piazza San Marco so that we didn't have to pay the exorbitant (his word, not mine) price for the vaporetto etc. etc. I would definitely stay there again and would definitely recommend it to fellow travellers who don't want to spend too much on a room but who don't want to go without their comfort either. The hotel can be booked on www.bookings.com.

Directions: When you come out of Venice Santa Lucia Station turn left and the hotel is siuated about 150 meters down the street on your left. In the Cannareggio shopping area.

• slcook52's Profile Photo

close to train station

Nice easy walk from the train station, no bridges to go over with luggage. Since Venice is relatively small, and you either walk or take a boat ride everywhere anyway, this area is fine to base out of.
    The room was adequate, could use a little refurbishing.
    Included a breakfast (Italian style) in the breakfast room.
    Service was fine, front desk staff friendly, helpful.
    I would recommend for the price. Who stays in their room in Venice anyway?
    There are 2 nearby internet spots that are convient

Unique Quality: I liked the convience to the train station

Directions: after exiting the train station, turn left and walk about 5 minutes down Lista di Spagna, the hotel is on the right.

More about Hotel Spagna

September Visit

by swiftfoot

My wife and I (we are in our mid 40s) plan to visit Venice in September 2008. I just found out that the Venice Film Festival will be running in September too. How is Venice in September? Will it be as crowded as August? Would you suggest a bed and breakfast that will be close to public transport?

Many thanks in advance.

by Maryimelda

I can certainly recommend the Hotel Spagna which is about 100 metres from Venice Santa Lucia Train Station. The price is good for Venice and includes breakfast. It has a vaporetto terminal about 80 metres away and also has some budget priced eateries and food markets where you can pick up some lovely take away delicacies for a cheap lunch. I was in Venice once in September, but I must be honest and say I can't remember how bad the crowds were, though I do remember not having a hotel reservation and having to stay in Mestre rather than in Venice proper. When I was there last year it was June and I was sure to book accommodation well in advance. You can book Hotel Spagna on www.bookings.com. Enjoy your trip.

by swiftfoot

Thanks Maryimelda

by mcclimb

Hi

The film fest takes place on the Lido so it is no more crowded within Venice during the day, than any other time. However, lodging has been a problem in the past year. I would not suggest anywhere specific since almost all hotels in Venice are near some type of public trans. You use the water bus (not taxi, very expensive) to get around. If you are looking for a true B&B just be sure there you look at a web site that shows the location and when water bus stop and line to get off on.

Hope this helps.