Castello, 4425, Venice, 30122, Italy
Booking.com Hotels.com Venere.com

More about Venice

Showing Barbara how it worksShowing Barbara how it works

Palazzo Ducale di VeneziaPalazzo Ducale di Venezia

foto giardini hotel ca nigra sul canal grandefoto giardini hotel ca nigra sul canal grande

The Grand Canal seen from the bridgeThe Grand Canal seen from the bridge

Venice Off The Beaten Path

by savinglady

Has anyone discovered any off-the-beaten-path sites of interest in Venice, ones that even Rick Steeves hasn't found yet? Leaving for Venice on 9/27 for a 3-day stay. Would like something really unique or do I have to leave the city?
Thanks.

by TexasDave

836 answers are waiting for you to read under the "Off the beaten path" heading among the Venice pages.

by ranger49

Have a look at this Link

Have a great time!

by ATLC

Visit Gianni Cavalier. He's not exactly off-the-beaten path, as he is the most famous commedia del'arte mask maker in Venice. However, there was not a soul in sight, when I visited him in his shop.

More at: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/2bf0c/22643/

by Flying.Scotsman

"Something really unique" you asked for. I think you'll find Venice fits that description,although Birmingham, England supposedly has more canals than Venice, I wouldn't advise you to change your travel plans! The one tip I can give is to walk as much as possible and away from the crowds and you will come across a canal, a square, or a bridge that you have discovered for yourself. As you only have 3 days, I would suggest you don't leave Venice itself. We had 4 whole days and still didn't see as much as we wanted to. Enjoy Venice. Bruce

by hawkhead

Well, Bruce, we had five weeks and left with things still to do/see!!

by plfinne

In March 2006, my son and I went to Venice and stayed in a small hotel in a quiet area. It was so nice getting up early in the morning and wandering the streets as the city "woke up" - people were walking to cafes before work, shopping in small vegetable markets, delivering mail, etc. Also, one morning we caught an early boat from St. Mark's Square area to Burano. We enjoyed exploring that colorful island as people were opening their shops, etc. - before the crowds arrived for the day. Just exploring the "back" streets of Venice is fun - especially early morning or in the evening after the day tourists leave the city. Enjoy!

Travel Tips for Venice

Ferrovia = train station

by Laurel914

In Venice you will find signs painted on the sides of buildings that point you in the right direction for popular tourist sights. However, they're only useful if you understand what they mean. For example, ferrovia will point you towards the train station. That would have helped me out immensely, but I didn't know that until someone was trying to help me find my way back to my hostel. I said it was very near the train station so he pointed to the sign that was almost directly straight ahead and told me that ferrovia would point me towards the train station. Hope this help keeps someone a little less lost, even though it really is fun to get lost in Venice!

Get lost!! Well its pretty...

by rtschneider

Get lost!! Well its pretty easy to do actually. You will eventually find the most important stuff though. The musts on my list are Piazzo San Marco(St. Mark's Square) where you will find the Basillica.

Ride in a gondola.

by rbarliant

It's hard to get used to the fact that the only transportation other than walking is by water. It really hits home when you see an ambulance or a police boat go by in the water. One of my fondest memories of Venice, though, is when I was exploring some of the nooks and crannies one morning and I saw dozens of parents walking their kids to school. The kids were cute, for one, and it reminded me that I wasn't in a Disneyland built for tourists but instead a living, breathing place that people call home.

Venice - The Three Windows

by Martin_S.

One of the things I loved about Venice was the feeling that it was actually lived in and not some museum piece preserved forever in the same form. You can see the "personal" touch here in these three windows. The owner did some repair to make his beautiful home look even better. But whoever the worker was, he neglected to continue the repair under the window, you can see the spots under each of the three where he could not reach to do the repair, I wonder if the home owner got a "discount"...

Artist on Location

by nicolettart

Venice is so artsy, you will have definite overload, what with the beautiful architecture, museums, and shops filled with all kinds of local crafts, including masks, puppets, sculptures, jewelry, everything. One day as we crossed the Accademia Bridge we stopped to admire the work of painter who was painting the church of Santa Maria della Salute.

Comments