La Calcina

Pensione La Calcina
Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Along the Dorsoduro

Viewed from the shuttle boat. I have not stayed here.

According to the website: For as long as there has been a lodging place here, once an inn and now a hotel, it has been called "La Calcina [The Lime House].” It was later named "Vapore [Steam]" and "Cucciolo [Puppy]". Today it is called "La Piscina [The Pool]". Regardless of the different names, they all refer to the same place, a historical site in Venice on the Zattere promenade, at the foot of the Calcina Bridge.

Unique Quality: Each of the 29 rooms are slightly different but they all have a high-performing Internet connection (DSL/Wireless), wooden parquet flooring, the furniture from the old inn, a bathroom, air-conditioning, a telephone, television, minibar and a safe.

Double room with bath without view from Euro 110 - 180 (Low season) to Euro 150 - 220 (High Season) - buffet breakfast included

Directions: Land taxi to Piazzale Roma and then from Piazzale Roma take public water bus number 51 or 61. Get off at the "Zattere" stop, turn right as you disembark and go straight for 150 meters. Time: about 45 minutes

• Best meal in Italy

With very friendly staff this homely, elegant hotel was the highlight of our stay in Venice. The excellent location is very easy to walk to from Accademia boat stop or right at the Zattere stop also a 15 minute walk to St Mark's square. Our room was a good size with an almost king size bed, the bathroom was modern and immaculate. We loved sitting on the restaurant verandah watching the many varieties of water transport pass by. Breakfast which included freshly made omelette was more than we expected, but the jewel in the crown is the dinner, surved by candlelite. A set price, three course menu is offered - don't bother eating anywhere else - these were the best value and tastiest meals in our two week stay in Italy.

Unique Quality: Views from the restaurant area onto the main canal are spectacular day and night. Rooms are furnished typically for the area, very cosy and comfortable. Evening restaurant menu and set price
    offer for hotel guests only, is the best value meal in Italy.

Directions: This area is safe, clean, has good size open spaces and is a mix of hotels, churches, galleries without being noisy. A euro 6.50 boat ride, or even better, a free 15 minute walk to St Marks
    square.

• nancyw's Profile Photo

Great hotel!

I got sticker shock when I started shopping for a hotel in Venice. Then I found La Calcina. Great value for money, with perfect location, excellent service and a lovely restaurant. Located on the Zattere, you'll not have to deal with hordes of tourists every second. But it's only a 5 minute walk to Accademia and has a vaporetto stop just a few yards away, so you can be anywhere in Venice quickly and conveniently. The Zattere has lots of restaurants, nice views and is a great place to walk. There's a supermarket (Bila) not far away (located at the S. Basilio vaporetto stop).

The room was great, the price terrific and the breakfast buffet on the restaurant over the canal was fabulous. Dinner in the restaurant was very good and comparably priced to others in Venice. And best of all, every staff member was friendly, professional and very helpful.

Unique Quality: If you're a history buff, you can brag that you stayed in Ruskin's House. For the rest of us, you can brag that you found the perfect place to stay in Venice. If you're traveling with a group, or just want more space, check out the spacious and beautiful apartments they have.

Directions: Steps from the Zattere vaporetto and Aliguna stops - with no bridges in between!

• mpileggi's Profile Photo

Wonderful Pension in Venice

I stayed at Pensione La Calcina for 5 nights (May 20th - 25th) and will state right away I will definitely return again! After being in Venice 4 times, this is the best place for me.

I got a quote of 106 Euros per night for a double room with private bathroom, a view of the Guidecca Canal, and buffet breakfast (with cash payment).

I stayed in room 31, which faces the side canal; however, I could also see the Guidecca canal. My room was small with a single bed, closet, desk with lamp, chair, tv; mini bar; A/C; decent sized bathroom with shower and window in the shower; and a horrible vacuum type hair dryer. There's also a safe in the closet. This room is located on the third floor. No elevator but there is always someone around to lug the luggage up those flights of stairs. On the main level next to the reception desk is a telephone booth to make calls, as well as a computer for free Internet access. There is also a nice sitting area and a breakfast room.

Breakfast, which was terrific, is served either inside, outside on the terrace, or on the roof terrace (for additional 4.50 euros). I enjoyed the terrace outside, as it hung over the water. Cruise ships passed by on a daily basis. Breakfast was always filling with choices of breads, cereals, pastries, eggs, ham, cheese, coffee, tea, and juice. Service from all waiters was fabulous. They were busy all the time but always with a smile. They were very professional in their uniform. It made me feel like I was at a 5-star hotel.

I had dinner one night at the hotel, choosing their 32 Euro (rather than 22 Euro) menu for hotel guests. It was probably one of my best meals in Italy! Service was impeccable. If you are not staying at this hotel, I still recommend dining here.

Unique Quality: Venice is my favorite city in Italy and after staying in the typical crowded touristy areas, I selected La Calcina for my recent stay (May 2006). It's only a 15-20 minute walk to Piazza San Marco, 3 minutes to the Zattare Vaporetto Stop and 10 minutes from the Accademia bridge. Just down the street is a restaurant, La Zattare: great pizza and fabulous views. A little further down is Nico's with wonderful gelato and still further down (this is heading west) is a grocery store with inexpensive boxed wine (or bottled) and lots of great foods for a picnic.

Directions: Take the Vaporetto to the Zattare stop and head east to the first bridge. The Pension is just in front of the bridge.

• Maramato's Profile Photo

A Charming Hotel

This Pensione is in a wonderful location, on the Zattere in the Dorsoduro Sestiere of Venice. It is spotlessly clean and although my room was small it was very nice indeed. The bed was very comfortable and if you like peace and quiet you will certainly not be disappointed. The staff were always very helpful, from the moment we arrived. They booked our evening concert for us. Breakfast was very nice served in the very pleasant dining room with views over the Giudecca Canale. Evening meals are available at a set cost to residents with a glass of wine included! I would have no hesitation in recommending this charming pensione and, indeed, staying there again myself.

Unique Quality: Very charming. Lovely food. Exquisite surroundings. Beautiful wood floors. Wonderful views across the Giudecca Canal.

Directions: Dorsoduro Sestiere, approximately 5 minutes walk from the Accademia bridge and 20 minutes from the Rialto and St Mark's Square

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Ruskin's House

This old house has been recently refurbished and is a quiet alternative to the noisy center.
    Beautiful views of the waters and Giudecca.

Directions: In Dorsoduro, behind the Accademia, 15 minutes walking from San Marco

More about La Calcina

charming hotel

In December 2004, my wife and I stayed at La Calcina for 5 days and
enjoyed every moment.
Its convenient location enabled us to walk to most of the places we
wanted to visit. A nearby vaporetto stop allowed easy rides to the
other islands.
Our room was comfortable and very clean.The food which was
offered to the house guests at a very reasonable price was excellent
and served with warm hospitality.
We can highly recommend La Calcina to anyone who wants a clean
and comfortable hotel in downtown Venice at an affordable rate.

Venetian Paradise

When we checked into the fully booked La Calcina, we did not know what to expect. We booked 6 months in advance and were unable to get a review of the canal - now we understand why. Most guests to La Calcina appear to be regulars that return year after year to this wonderful hotel.

La Calcina is a wonderful and quiet hotel overlooking the less active Guidecca canal while still within walking distance to areas around the Grand Canal, Piazza San Marco and the Zattere vaporetto (water taxi stop).

La Calcina is within walking distance of several wonderful restaurants, and features its' own fine cuisine with reasonable prices. Also the best gelato in Venice is just a couple minutes' walk away at Cafe Nico. Breakfast was magnificent as we filled up on the croissants, prosciutto, parma ham, and cheese. The waitstaff was extremely friendly and attentive.

Even our smaller room was very large with a huge bathroom and awesome shower! The big windows and ceiling fan help keep the room comfortable in fall and air conditioning will provide relief in summer.

The hotel was helpful in providing waterproof pullovers during the flooding periods (worth the 20 Euro price) and helpful in providing tourist advice, information, and recommendations.

I guess my only slight drawbacks would be the low lighting in the room, no clock, and no elevator, but there were wonderful and interesting guests from all nationalities and we plan to become regulars among them. This time though, we will book a year in advance to secure our room with a view!

Excellent value in Venice

by TripAdvisor Member ilpostino

La Calcina was almost perfect. Unlike some other reviewers we felt let down by the service in the restaurant and the food was only Ok but that one fault did not detract from an otherwise excellent little hotel. We arrived by water taxi direct from the airport to the hotel ( very expensive but the only way to arrive in Venice) and we were made to feel most welcome. We had a room at the back of the hotel with its own balcony, but no view of the canal and probably next time we would ask for one of the rooms at the front - obviously more expensive but the view is staggeringly impressive.

La Calcina is in just the right location. Close enough to everything you might want to see within reasonable walking distance, but also far enough away to be out of range of the crowds - rather like Chelsea or Kensington would be to Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square.

The rooms are clean and comfortable with lovely block wood flooring and at the price this is a place to stay in Venice that we would thoroughly recommend.

Similar Deposit Story to One of the Previous Reviews

by TripAdvisor Member Gskong4444

Upon reading the great reviews about this hotel I sent an availability request to Hotel La Calcina regarding my upcoming honeymoon trip in July 2005. In two days the hotel responded back informing me that the dates I requested for are open and that rates would be 127 euro a night. To reserve, I would have to send a personal check of 1 night worth of deposit to the hotel.

Here's the problem: the amount that they request for in personal check is $172, while euro 127 converts to roughly $154 only. I sent a very polite response back and asked for clarification on this rate gap, and also sepecified that I will send the check right over once they explain to me any possible taxes/fees not originally included in the 127 euro quoted to me.

When I checked my email the very next day I received another email from Pensione La Calcina telling me that the room I looked for is no longer available--no explanation or such was given, that was just it.

I was miffed to say the least because my exchange with the hotel throughout has been very friendly and polite. In fairness to them up until the last email to me the hotel was very cordial in its responses. I just think there could be more transparency surrounding the deposit process.

Pensione La CalcinaPensione La Calcina

Pensione La Calcina??

by Honeymooncouple

We will be spending part of our honeymoon here, and I was hoping someone might have stayed here and could tell us how they liked it. Many thanks in advance.

Comments