La Locanda di Orsaria Hotel Venice

Calle Priuli Dei Cavalletti, Cannaregio - Calle Priuli 103, Venice, Veneto, 30121, Italy
A La Locanda di Orsaria
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about La Locanda di Orsaria Hotel Venice

We felt like family!

by TripAdvisor Member redbett

This was our very first trip to Venice. We stayed at the La Locanda di Orsaria and was thrilled with the location, the staff and the accomodations. Very friendly staff and breakfast was the best. Their location was fantastic, with easy walk to the train station, bus station and water taxi. Nice quiet area. It was also an nice walk to the main attractions, or travel by water taxi. We will be back!

This truly is an excellent place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member msp132

We were in Venice for only two days and the location (plus all the positive reviews on this site) were the reasons we chose this hotel. It really is a two-minute walk to the train station, and if you've never been to Venice, consider the proximity a blessing (even if you come by plane, the shuttle still drops you off by the train station). Sure, you can hop on the (extremely crowded) vaporettos with all your luggage to get to a hotel in St. Mark's that costs triple the price of Locanda di Orsaria, but keep in mind that unless you're wearing your luggage on your back, you're going to get charged 3-5 Euros per person to board the boat with it.

The hotel is very quaint and cozy, the staff is extremely friendly and the breakfast is excellent for a standard European breakfast. They will take your coffee/cappucino/espresso order and serve it with a smile.

We stayed in a triple room, which was more than adequate. It wasn't fancy, but it wasn't drab either. It's on a quiet side street, so there was no noise to contend with at night (even though the main thoroughfare is less than 200 feet away), and the room was cleaned daily.

One thing to keep in mind: The hotel doesn't have an elevator, which means that hauling your luggage takes a little more effort.

Perfect little hotel close to train station

by TripAdvisor Member kristin_1902

We adored our stay in Venice, and Locanda di Orsaria was a big part of what made it so perfect.

We were only staying in Venice for two nights and traveling there by train, so we wanted something close to the Santa Lucia train station. You couldn't get much closer than Locanda di Orsaria. I believe it was the first little street to the left, a quiet street with other hotels and restaurants.

First, the good:
The staff was extremely friendly. We met several of them, and all were so nice and helpful. I think it's a family-run business, and they made us feel very welcome, almost like we were guests in their home. They also spoke excellent English.

The breakfast (a variety of meats, cheese, warm rolls and croissants, fresh coffee, cappuccino and hot chocolate) was served in a tiny dining room downstairs by a kind gentleman - perhaps the owner? - who we adored.

Our room, while very small by American standards, was clean with a comfortable bed, small TV, desk, and windows overlooking other buildings - even someone's house, where I saw him in his underwear one morning!

The windows had screens, so we could leave them open without mosquitos flying in!

The bathroom was modern with a gigantic shower stall where we could take a shower together comfortably.

The hotel was right off Strada Nuova, a busy street of shops and restaurants. It was also very close to the Scalzi Bridge across the Grand Canal and to the waterbus stop, and it's an excellent spot from which to explore Cannaregio and all of Venice.

The bad, which wasn't even that bad:
No elevator, so we (okay, my husband) had to haul our suitcases up a curvy flight of stairs to our third-floor room. But we knew when we booked that there was no elevator, so it wasn't really a problem.

The A/C and lights wouldn't turn on unless you inserted your room key card into a slot in the room. An honorable energy-saving measure, but it did take the room a while to cool down when you came back in. This wasn't really a problem when we went in early October, but I imagine it could be a little unpleasant in the warmer months.

On the whole, we loved the hotel and will probably stay there again next time we're in Venice.

Top Class central location

by TripAdvisor Member Jacksie

We stayed here for a weekend in July and enjoyed our time there thoroughly. Its located near the train station and also where the Ryanair bus drops you off. The vaporetti stop is just 2 minutes away. No street noise to contend with - apart from the church bells! The staff are extremely friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations etc. Lovely breakfast every morning. The rooms are decent sized and immaculately clean. Overall its great value and would definitively stay there again.

Amazing Value!!

by TripAdvisor Member have2trvl

Speaking value for the dollar (or euro), this place can not be beat. The room was small-ish but very well appointed; nice queen-size bed; silky fabric-covered walls; venetian glass chandelier and sconces everywhere. The bathroom was INCREDIBLE; black marble floor and slate walls; good size glass-enclosed shower; beautiful fixtures; vey hip and all seemed brand new. The AC was great! Breakfast spread was fine. And we loved the Cannareggio area; much less touristy and just as lovely as any other part of Venice. The train and bus stations are extremely near; and a vapporetto spot is practically right in front of the hotel. Do yourself a favor and have dinner at the nearby Hotel Continental. Unlike every other outdoor restaurant on the Grand Canal (and I mean the water is lapping at your feet) that were swamped with tourists, this place was somehow undiscovered. We ate dinner there three times, and had this magical, candle-lit venue all to ourselves. Very, very reasonable, and the food was excellent. Ask for Francesco; he was our wonderful and excellent waiter.

Well...yes and no

by TripAdvisor Member jkotler

I was a solo traveler who spent four nights here this week. The big plusses are the staff--very helpful and friendly and willing to indulge my desire to speak Italian--and the location, which despite its proximity to the station and Lista di Spagna, is on a quiet alley. I heard absolutely nothing from my room, even the first morning when I inadvertently slept until nearly 11. And the breakfast--fantastic coffee, good bread and cheese.

I have stayed in several hotels in Venice, and I liked this one the least. (This was something of a spur of the moment trip, so I had little choice actually of places to stay.) The 2 big drawbacks were price ($160 Euro/night!) and darkness. There is (at least on the first floor) absolutely no natural light, and I find it oppressive to be in wonderful, light-filled Venice without an inkling of what's outside inside. The first room I had had the bathroom from hell--the shower was just 12 square inches curtained off in the corner and very hard to navigate. When I returned from Florence, they put me in the other first floor room, which had a MUCH MUCH better bathroom. Still, the lighting in them is poor, and the hairdryers are extremely odd and ineffective--like holding a vacuum cleaner hose which is blowing air slightly above room temperature.

For those wanting to be in Cannaregio--my favorite neighborhood--I would recommend the Hesperia. Right next to a canal, light and airy, and with real bathrooms. But book early.

It's true...a great little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Welshtravellers4

We read the reviews on Tripadvisor and found the positive reviews of this hotel absolutely spot on. When we return to Venice we will be staying in this hotel again. Just to summarise our experience in a family room: Spotless, spacious, well located and friendly.

Quiet and convenient

by TripAdvisor Member RogerpHism

We stayed here for 5 nights in mid-October and were very pleased with the room, the en-suite bathroom especially the shower, and the quietness. Our room at the back overlooked a tree-filled garden area. The hotel has only about 15 rooms, but those we saw were clean and bright and well-equipped. Breakfast was included, and had a wide choice of buffet-style food. The location was within 5 minutes on foot of the station and the route was essentially level.
We were offered a good discount for cash on a daily rate for two of only Euros 140. Staff all friendly and helpful. An excellent base for exploring Venice - the Grand Canal is only about 100 metres away.

Great location and friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member karen1205

We chose this hotel after reading the reviews on tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed. The location is fantastic however you arrive into the city. The hotel is down a small side-street which means it's quiet, however a short walk away you can find many restaurants, shops, and even a rare bar!

The rooms are kept really clean and they're a good size for Venice. The breakfasts were the normal continental bread / cheese etc and the staff were very friendly.

It is worth noting that there is no lift and there is a church nearby that rings the bells twice each morning (around 7:15 and 8:15 when we were there). If this won't bother you then you'll fine this hotel great!

Wonderful stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Natalie-UK-USA

Practically right on the doorstep of the station - very convenient if you have heavy bags. Come out of the station, turn left, walk a short way and look for a narrow side street on the left. It's a busy area, but the side street itself is so quiet you wouldn't know it. Stayed on the upper floor in a room that slept 3, overlooking the side street. Wonderfully furnished in an "old Venetian" style. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was lovely. Would definitely return and highly recommend.

Pre-book or Hope for the best?

by Canadagirl77

Hello. There are 3 of us who are going to be in Venice for May 31 and June 1 night and are wondering if we can just arrive in Venice and find accomodation? or if we should pre-book? Any suggestions would be welcome approx price range 100 - 150 euro/night. Thanks!

by JoeNYC

I would suggest you pre-book, especially since you already know the nights you'll be there. May and June are very popular months for Venice (when isn't though?) and you will most likely haved to hit many hotels before finding one with an open room. You might not even find one, especially if you're looking in a specific price range. You can risk this kind of thing in some cities, but not really in Venice.

RE: RE: Pre-book or Hope for the best?

by HiRola

I'll be there on May 31 - June 2. We have 4 people in total. Is a hotel the best value? Or is there reasonably priced hostels?

by risamay

I would suggest that you prebook accommodations. It will avoid a headache and wasted touristing time of you finding a room upon your arrival. Prebooking will be worth it. I promise!

I always recommend either the Ca' del Dose or the Hotel Messner. In general, I would suggest checking www.venere.com and www.venicby.com (other than VT, of course) for suitable accommodations.

Cheers,
Marisa (and Dino)

by relagos

Hi! I, too, suggest you try to prebook. We'll be staying at Locanda di Orsaria May 29 - June 2. Their website is www.locandaorsaria.com. I found them on venere.com, but I think you might prefer to deal directly with the hotel. Send email to Pietro, and please tell him Ruth sent you! We haven't stayed there before, but it had great reviews on venere, and no negatives, so we're pretty excited...maybe we'll see you there! Ciao!

RE: RE: Pre-book or Hope for the best?

by Canadagirl77

Thank you for all of your replies! I have booked in at Noemi Hotel in San Marco it seems to have positive reviews. Thanks again! See you in Venice!

Comments