La Residenza

suvanki's Profile Photo

15th Century Palace near San Marco

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 2, 2009

The morning of my departure for Venice I received a phone call to say that my booking for the new(only) hotel on Isola Certosa had been altered to La Residenza - I was a bit disappointed-I'd wanted to stay on this newly opened Island.

However, after arriving to a foggy Venice, I cheered up - the idea of stopping at the original hotel was for its views of the lagoon etc.

This 15 roomed hotel is the former 15th century Palace Gritti-Badoer. In 1591, through marriage, it passed from the Gritti family to the Morosinis, then to the Badoers. In the middle of the 19th century, it was bought by the Marquis Saibante, but is now under private ownership as a 2* hotel.

I found the hotel easily from the directions, and rang the bell. The large door opened, and I found myself in a large hallway with a fountain. Climbing the stairs, I was met by the concierge, and taken to the reception, up another short flight of stairs. I think this was the piano nobile or Grand Floor, where guests to the palazzo would have been entertained. 18th century furniture, decorative carpets, frescoed ceilings, chandeliers and wall lights of murano glass, paintings and statues decorate this area, which is the breakfast room also.

My room was on the first floor, through a locked door that led onto a small corridor, which again had antique furniture.

My room was quite spacious (Double for Single use)
Double bed, wardrobe (with plenty of coat hangers, spare blanket and pillow and safety deposit box) coat hooks. Dressing table
mini bar stocked with selection of beers, Bellini, wines, juices, water.
TV -Italian language only.
a/c and heater.

Spacious bathroom (for Venice) Shower, WC, bidet, wash basin.
Towels. Hairdryer (though not very powerful- so if you've got long hair, you might be better bringing your own)

Freebies- soap showergel/shampoo shower cap

Breakfast included tea / coffee/ hot chocolate, fruit juice, yogurt, croissant, pastries/cake.

I was pleased with my stay here - Although this hotel is recognised as being very reasonably priced, it would still normally have been out of my price range. I paid 145 euros for 3 nights double room for single use with breakfast.
The price list on my hotel room door stated prices of 80 - 140 euros per night!

I booked my original hotel through Venere.com

Unique Quality: The Gothic facade faces into Campo Bandiera e Moro and is adjacent to another palace.

Also in the campo is one of Venices lesser visited churches - San Giovanni in Bragora - the church where Vivaldi was baptised, and one of Venices oldest churches.

My room faced into the streets to the right of the Hotel - I noticed a few bars/ restaurants here. I didn't notice any noise during my Christmas visit, it was very quiet - not sure what it would be like in Summer.

Directions: VAPORETTO ARSENALE.
Cross over the bridge to the left. Walk ahead. 4th exit -Calle delle Dose leads into the Campo.

SAN ZACCARIA
Turn Right. At La Pieta turn L. down C/D Pieta cross the small bridge, and you'll reach the Campo

Nearby La Residenza

Amenities at La Residenza

• Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Venice Travel Forum

Need advice about Venice, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Venice and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Venice hotel reviews

Hotel Antiche Figure
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Hotel Becher
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Ostello di Venezia (Youth Hostel)
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 7 Reviews

Campanile di San Marco
Carnival Time
Ponte dei Sospiri
Things to Do
By train (Santa Lucia station)
Transportation
By water taxi (& private boats)
Traghetto
Food, wine and sweets
Isola Murano
Scala Contarini del Bovolo
Off The Beaten Path
Walking (incl. city maps)
Ghetto
By cruise ship
Churches
Lido di Venezia
Other Islands
Burano Lace
Shopping
Street Sellers (fake products)
Pigeons