La Residenza

Booking.com Hotels.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

• suvanki's Profile Photo

15th Century Palace near San Marco

The morning of my departure for Venice I received a phone call to say that my booking for the new(only) hotel on Isola Certosa had been altered to La Residenza - I was a bit disappointed-I'd wanted to stay on this newly opened Island.

However, after arriving to a foggy Venice, I cheered up - the idea of stopping at the original hotel was for its views of the lagoon etc.

This 15 roomed hotel is the former 15th century Palace Gritti-Badoer. In 1591, through marriage, it passed from the Gritti family to the Morosinis, then to the Badoers. In the middle of the 19th century, it was bought by the Marquis Saibante, but is now under private ownership as a 2* hotel.

I found the hotel easily from the directions, and rang the bell. The large door opened, and I found myself in a large hallway with a fountain. Climbing the stairs, I was met by the concierge, and taken to the reception, up another short flight of stairs. I think this was the piano nobile or Grand Floor, where guests to the palazzo would have been entertained. 18th century furniture, decorative carpets, frescoed ceilings, chandeliers and wall lights of murano glass, paintings and statues decorate this area, which is the breakfast room also.

My room was on the first floor, through a locked door that led onto a small corridor, which again had antique furniture.

My room was quite spacious (Double for Single use)
    Double bed, wardrobe (with plenty of coat hangers, spare blanket and pillow and safety deposit box) coat hooks. Dressing table
    mini bar stocked with selection of beers, Bellini, wines, juices, water.
    TV -Italian language only.
    a/c and heater.

Spacious bathroom (for Venice) Shower, WC, bidet, wash basin.
    Towels. Hairdryer (though not very powerful- so if you've got long hair, you might be better bringing your own)

Freebies- soap showergel/shampoo shower cap

Breakfast included tea / coffee/ hot chocolate, fruit juice, yogurt, croissant, pastries/cake.

I was pleased with my stay here - Although this hotel is recognised as being very reasonably priced, it would still normally have been out of my price range. I paid 145 euros for 3 nights double room for single use with breakfast.
    The price list on my hotel room door stated prices of 80 - 140 euros per night!

I booked my original hotel through Venere.com

Unique Quality: The Gothic facade faces into Campo Bandiera e Moro and is adjacent to another palace.

Also in the campo is one of Venices lesser visited churches - San Giovanni in Bragora - the church where Vivaldi was baptised, and one of Venices oldest churches.

My room faced into the streets to the right of the Hotel - I noticed a few bars/ restaurants here. I didn't notice any noise during my Christmas visit, it was very quiet - not sure what it would be like in Summer.

Directions: VAPORETTO ARSENALE.
    Cross over the bridge to the left. Walk ahead. 4th exit -Calle delle Dose leads into the Campo.

SAN ZACCARIA
    Turn Right. At La Pieta turn L. down C/D Pieta cross the small bridge, and you'll reach the Campo

More about La Residenza

hotels near St. Mark's square.

by suru

Could you please sugegst me some comfortable good 'budget' hotels near to St.Mark's square? I know that hotels near this square are the most expensive but there should be a couple of hotels that are not so expensive. I suppose some members who had stayed in such hotels could recommend me?
Thanks in advance.

by domenicococozza

you could try Locanda San Maurizo. We have stayed there and its inexpensive and comfortable. About 5 minutes walk from St.Marks Square.
Try: Travel.Ciao.co.uk/locanda_san_maurizo_venice_6381656

by Luke6647

Hotel Galleria (double E130)
Hotel La Residenza (double E180)
Hotel Al Vagon (double E80)

Not the cheapest places, but nice and a great location. I've stayed in all of them.

by suvanki

Hi! Are You looking for a single or a double room - and when are You planning to Stay in Venice? If You're staying out of the high season You might find a bargain. Try budget sites such as Venere, Hostalz, Booking.com,Hostel Bookers etc. If You can risk waiting until near your holiday, you might pick up a bargain. Have You considered renting an appartment?
I stayed in Albergo Tiepolo which was about 3 mins walk from San Marco, at Christmas and got a bargain through Venere-I was in Venice again last month, and it was too expensive for me to stay there - I stayed in Mestre and Sant Erasmo, which gave a different aspect to Venice.

Venice is quite a small place, so St Marks is not too difficult to get to, You might want to consider staying a bit further (ie 10 - 15 walking mins away)where it might be a bit cheaper (and quieter)

Hope This is of some use, Please e-mail me if You have any further questions.
Happy Travelling,