Corte Contarina, San Marco, Venice, 30131, Italy
Booking.com Priceline.com Asiatravel.com

More about Venice

The facade of Ca' d'Oro (as seen on the vaporetto)The facade of Ca' d'Oro (as seen on the vaporetto)

Sauté di vongole.Sauté di vongole.

Gam Gam-my starterGam Gam-my starter

Frescoes in the apseFrescoes in the apse

Venetian Carnival Masks custom made?

Hi all,

We will be in Venice carnival next month, so I went to our local public library and borrowed the Travel Guide DVD from Pilot Guides. In the video, the travel presenter Megan McCormick went to Venice and had her mask made to order for herself. The mask artist put plasta on her face to make the mask mold so he can have her mask shaped as her real face. By any chance did anyone saw that video and can tell the address of that artist? My friend who will be travelling with me would love to have one custom made for her.

Any input will be very appreciated and thanks in advance for your direction.

Cheers,

by TexasDave

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I did come across a mask makers studio on a recent visit to Venice. I couldn't find a sign with a name on the outside but it's very close to the bridge you cross when arriving by train, the shop is at the corner of Calle Larga and Gallion, which you can find on a map. (I have a picture of it on my Venice shopping page). That's as much help as I can offer.

by suvanki

Hi Nicky! I'm hoping to go to Carnival next year, so look forward to reading about your trip!
I'm guessing that the mask makers in Venice will be extra busy at the time of Carnivale - was the mask just a plain white cast, or was it painted and decorated?
The best mask artists don't advertise their prices in their studio/shop windows-so I think this could be expensive - ie 100+ Euros.

I'll delve into my stash of Venice info and try and find out more for you.

Best Wishes,
Sue

by sirgaw

18 months ago we visited Venice and noticed 3 different mask shops announcing that THEY made masks for the film "Eyes Wired Shut." Also saw a shop window with a mask made for the rear quarters of someone.

Hi Sue:

The mask is in color and has been designed based from the artist's impression. He really did a good job for the traveller MC the show. We already bought our mask in a boutique in Ipanema, Brazil during our last year's carnival in Rio de Janeiro

but when my friend heard me that she can have one custom made, she really wanted to have one. I surely will be keeping you updated with my Venice Carnival pages with texts and videos once I'll be back from the festival. Apparently from our balcony where we will be staying, the hotel is the only one that has the view overlooking Saint Mark's square according to their ad. Hope that I can have many good shoots. Do you have any suggestions for me in order to have good footage during the carnival?

Sincerely,

Hi Dave:

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your detailed direction show. Is there any chance that the mask store you showed me is the same I saw on this DVD? Here are some screenshots from the DVD including the mask artist:

Can you kindly confirm this store? Thanks in advance.

by TexasDave

I took a look at the pictures but I can't say for sure that it's the same place, sorry.

by hawkhead

There are a lot of places that custom-make masks but be prepared to pay a LOT of money. We are recently returned from the city and saw many places that advertise that they custom-make masks.

Travel Tips for Venice

Venice Tip

by lauriejeanne

I pinch myself. Has it finally happened? After years and years of living in Vienna, a mere night train away, am I really finally here? How long have I dreamed of it? How many times did I/we plan it yet it fell through...

It's me, I'm awake. And I am in Venice. I didn't even know when I left for my holiday this summer that I would be coming here. But a last minute translation for the Institute of Folk Music Research at the University of Music in Vienna threw some extra Schillings into my account.

It had been a difficult translation; hence the need to spend the remuneration in style. Now here I sit. Pinching myself.

It's me, I'm awake. And I am sitting in a small restaurant on a narrow canal overlooking zerfallene Haeuser... how do you say that??? It's a residential part of Venice -- not a tourist to be found... Not a word of English to be heard... The couple to my right don't notice another soul -- they are lost in each other's eyes. Across from me a large party order steamed mussles. The plates arrive, hot and stacked high. Everyone laughs and wine pours freely..

It's me, I'm awake. And I am drinking a smooth rich Chianti and eating the single most amazing and creamiest gorgonzola I have ever had, let alone could ever imagine... Is it possible to be able to eat it slow enough? To let it last forever?

It's me, I'm awake. And the breeze from the open window next to me is flowing through my hair, silouetted on the table cloth. I pinch myself. For I simply can't take in how beautiful life, in all its simplicity, really is...

Visit the St. Mark's Basilica,...

by sheryl_tan

Visit the St. Mark's Basilica, the cathedral church of the city. Take time to marvel at the beauty of it all. The beautiful mediaeval mosaic depicts episodes from the bible, both the Old and the New Testaments.

Venice - Views from water bus #42

by Martin_S.

We saw this beautiful pinkish-maroon colored house, it seems that nobody could find white paint here in Venice, although many of the colors are earthen types they are almost all different and livens the streets up. The small wooden bridge on the left was under repairs and a steel bridge had been built over it. I hope that they do not plan to replace it with a more modern structure.

Don't walk in packs...

by mapakettle

We have gone with friends to Venice, and found very quickly that walking together as a group is difficult to manage, plus we are a nuisance to other travellers trying to pass us.

This would be especially annoying to local people who have jobs to attend to, appointments to make, and dinners to prepare, while we are on our own relaxed schedule.

Therefore, go as a group, but separate and meet later. This way, you can swap tall tales, and thus double your enjoyment of a wonderful visit.

Carry Plastic...not paper

by mapakettle

We chose Cash Passport cards, also known as Visa TravelMoney cards, issued by our local CAA club, rather than carry cash. We didn't wish to use our credit cards (easier to negotiate prices with cash in Europe), and DEBIT cards were tied to our bank accounts, allowing us too easy access to funds we didn't wish to spend. Cash passport cards are prepaid, up to $15,000, and are accepted by all ATM machines. We felt that using a prepaid card would help to maintain our travel budget, plus we could access our balance online. We have used these cards exclusively for eight months, and have never been denied funds anywhere in Italy. Check them out.....$3 CDN per transaction.

Also great for younger family members to carry, safer (and not as scary) than providing a credit card for 'emergency' use.

Comments