Locanda Remedio - Dependance Hotel Colombina

Hotel Colombina
Hotels.com Expedia.com Venere.com

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• call it "Con-ombina"

It is too bad the manager at Hotel Colombina has such disdain for actual hospitality, because otherwise this hotel has a lot going for it. Lovely location, nice rooms, away from the bustle of the Grand Canal. But arriving early in the morning and being charged 40 euros for 2 cups of coffee since we were not registered hotel guests yet (even though we were unable to avail ourselves of the "free breakfast" on the morning we were "officially" guests because we had to catch a plane before breakfast service began) made it clear that, to him, we were just stupid Americans to be scammed. When we asked if there was any possibility of getting into our room early, this same director offered to put us up in a less desirable room--for the same price as our original canal-view reservation. Really, at least they could pretend we represent something more than dollar signs. Next time I will pay the price and stay at the Danieli where I expect to treated with condescension.

Directions: just off piazza san marco

• colbeck100's Profile Photo

Fantastic Hotel in a great location.

We stayed for 4 nights during late August 2003. We booked on an offer 4 nights for 3 through Hotel Connect. We expected the room to be OK, but we were delighted when we were shown into room 401. It had a lovely marble and Murano glass bathroom, fabric walls and a golden thread cover on the bed. The view looked down to the Bridge of Sighs. We could look out and see the gondoliers negotiating the tight canal corners. Despite its location being so near to the main square it was quiet and secluded. We loved it

Unique Quality: We felt as if we were right in the heart of Venice especially at night when many of the tourists have left. In some reviews we have noted that the staff were brusque. We found them to be very pleasant, informative and humourous.

Directions: If you look past the Bridge of Sighs it is the white building at the turn in the canal.

More about Locanda Remedio - Dependance Hotel Colombina

Loved the Colombina Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Ziazia

We have just returned from a fabulous and memorable long weekend in Venice, where we celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary. The hotel was absolutely charming and just around the corner from St Mark's square.

It's in an ideal location, so close to all the sights yet set in a surprisingly quiet qnd quaint location, over a little bridge, overlooking the Bridge of Sighs.
The welcome was extremely friendly and check in most efficient. All staff were attentive professional and most helpful the whole time.
Our room was beautiful, walls lined in fabric with beautiful furnishings.
Breakfast was delicious and served in a delightful room furnished with antiqued mirrors and gorgeous trimmings.
Venice is a romantic city however we especially thank the Hotel Colombina for ensuring our visit was extra special. We loved it!

Comments on Colombina, Venice

by TripAdvisor Member ChelsiVienna_VA_USA

After having a wonderful stay at the Hotel Eden in Rome, Italy we embarked on a visit to Venice and a stay at the Hotel Colombina. We took a water taxi from the airport to the hotel and were very pleased that the hotel had an easy canal access. We went right to the door, no toting luggage through the streets of Venice. This is an extremely important asset! The hotel is relatively small, they don't have a restaurant or some of the amenities of the larger hotels. Not having a restaurant or much in the way of a lounge area, was not an issue for us as we were out most of the time. Our room was very tastefully decorated, with a large chandelier, and had the added benefit of a little balcony overlooking a canal. The room was spacious enough for the two of us, the bathroom was very nice and hot water was plentiful. The room and the hotel were very clean. Location wise, we had no trouble walking to the major sections of Venice.

My only complaints about this hotel relate to the staff. Having come from the very excellent staff at the Hotel Eden, I was very put off by the cold and unfriendly staff here. The staff was prompt if we requested anything, but made no effort to greet people coming in or going out. They pretty much looked right through you. Our room was cleaned in the morning, but only once in the 5 days we were there was the room done up for the evening. Basically, we would stay here again, the hotel was clean, the room lovely, the location and canal access a plus. We would just ignore the staff as they ignore the clients. A small matter to weigh against the good things about the hotel.

First Timers- Stay at the Colombina!

As this was our first trip to Italy, we relied heavily on tripadvisor.com for reviews of hotels. Although there were several negative reviews given for the Columbina, we found it to be the best accomodation that we stayed at (this includes other cities in Italy as well as Switzerland). The staff were very professional and helpful, the room was beautiful and looked over the canal (and was the quietest room we stayed in, even with the occasional boat motor), there is a safe in the room for your valuables, and the hotel was in an extremely convenient location. It was a bit hard to find from the San Marco boat stop; however, there is a sign on the side street pointing you in the right direction. We took the Murano boat taxi directly from the hotel, which is FREE (and therefore explains why they take you to a specific glass-blowing factory and try to sell you expensive glassware). We didn't buy any, and the staff at the factory were disappointed but friendly and helped us find our way to the exit. If you are traveling to Venice for the first time, we would definitely recommend the Columbina Hotel.

fabulous hotel with style and character

by TripAdvisor Member klawed

We stayed at the Locanda Remedio in april 2004. I'd found it recommended by 'Lonely Planet' and it more than lived up to expectations. The 2 rooms we had were very grand and one had a jacuzzi bath. As an annex to the main hotel it has a different atmosphere which we liked. It all felt very historical.The rooms were clean and the staff friendly. It was very close to St Marks Square. We arrived on the water bus and walked to the hotel. We left by water taxi - great fun and worth the expense.
I am hoping to return to Venice this autumn and would like to stay in this hotel again

Biggest Little Hotel in Venice!

by TripAdvisor Member LaScala2005

My wife and I recently spent two glorious nights in Venice this last Spring. We were doing a 17-day "whirlwind" tour of Italy and we decided Venice should be our first destination. This of course meant staying in a fine hotel as close to the Piazza San Marco as we could get. Well, we sure got really lucky with the Albergo Locanda Remedio!

This quaint 3-star hotel (though should be considered 4-star) was nestled away behind another enchanting guest accomodation called the Albergo Colombina (which I believe is the main hotel). There is a landing for water taxis right there and the bell-hop is always available to take your larger luggage through the lobby of the Columbo, across the enclosed courtyard, and up the flight of stairs of the Remedio to your room.

The staff is very friendly, and the entire facility is clean and comfortable. Our room, though small, was enchanting. The clever use of space: from the amiore also holding the safe, to the mini-refridgerator acting as a television stand, was amusing and in no way trite.

The bathroom was also very small, but efficient, and most importantly: clean. Cramped as it may have been, the room was enchanting and romantic--especially for newlyweds such as my wife and I.

In the morning we were treated to our first real Italian breafast in the plush sitting and dining room that included: various cheeses, cappuccino, crossiants, nutella, cereals, and yogurt to name a few. They were charming bites that got us started each day on our Venetian odyssey that almost seemed to never end.

Location is also an endearing quality of the Remedio as well. It was so close to Saint Mark's Square, that we frequently went back and forth between the two to pick up or drop off stuff from our room. Also, in the evening we were right down from "The Grotto" section of small ristorantes, trattorias, and cafes (even a McDonald's) that had both indoor and outdoor (my personal favorite) seating, along with the soft tones of Italian music ever present in the background.

We loved the Remedio, and having it as our first "home away from home" in Italy set the tone for the most incredible trip of our lives in one of the most incredible countries in the world!

Belissimo!

Wouldn't spend 50 Euros to stay here...

I will start with the fact that our Venice trip was followed by an incredibly wonderful time in Rome and the Chianti region (where both hotels received a five star review from my husband and I) so maybe it was just that the Hotel Colombina had big shoes to fill. The first thing that rubbed me wrong was that when I walked through the door speaking Italian, the two men at the front desk said hello, how can we help you? Obviously they did not want to chit chat with me, regardless of what language I knew. They sent us up to our room where I was extremely disappointed. I hate to admit this (b/c we got SO ripped off) but we paid 385 Euros to stay at this hotel (mind you I talked him down from a much higher price) and the room was not what I saw on the internet. Very small...we were on the 4th floor; I think the lower floors have nicer views (at least I noticed they have larger windows). We arrived around 5pm very hungry and asked the man at the front desk about a restaurant that the manager at our Chianti hotel recommended to us and he said we could go there the following night and that he has a nice restaurant for us to go (and he will make us reservations b/c you need them in Venice). We went to the restaurant where there was only one other couple (doubt we needed reservations) and the only thing on the small menu we would have ordered was spaghetti with tomato sauce, we hadn't ordered our drinks yet so decided to tell the owner that we really felt like pizza (as an excuse to bolt) and we were going to leave. They made such a huge deal that we returned to our hotel to tell them about the experience and when we got there they already knew it happened b/c the restaurant called them (mind you we were sweet as sugar to the restaurant), the manager at our hotel was so rude to us from that point on we couldn't believe it (the only thing he had to say was, “everyone loves that restaurant”). The second thing that really bothered me was that before we left for dinner that night he showed us a map of the city and told us we should really consider taking the boat to Murano for the glass tour and that it would only take half of the day (thankfully, I knew this was coming thanks to all of my friends at Trip Advisor) I told him we only had one full day in Venice therefore would not be interested and suddenly the half day trip turned into an hour or two. I was amazed! (once again, we politely passed on his “offer”) Lastly, when we would return to the hotel, throughout our 2 night stay, and ask for our key, they never knew what room # we were (we always had to tell them), they would not say hello when we came through the door nor goodbye when we would leave. Bottom line, we would NEVER stay here again!

A top of the line hotel

We arrived Venezia booked into the Santa Marina. Following a bellhop moving our luggage on a cart and a 10 min walk later we were at the Colombina. It was a very nice central location and quite too. Traveling with my wife and two kids we were put into a 2 bed room suite. A very very nice Big room. Being half way through our Erurop trip we all needed the extra space. The person at the desk said it was one of their best rooms and I am sure it was. The whole place was clean and well taken care of. They had a nice lounge for a glass of wine. The beakfast was above average. I would recommend this place to any one who is going to Venezia.

Fantastic Hotel - Superb Location

by TripAdvisor Member OOOooodeeeEEE

Really nice hotel, very homely and cosy. Location wise you cant really get a better mixture - it is only about 2 mins walk to St Marks Sq, but its in a very quiet area. So quiet in fact that we managed to sleep in til 10.00am every day !!!!!

Breakfast is buffet style in a delightful Italian style dining room with plenty of food on offer. (hot breakfast ie/ eggs bacon etc is available at a small supplement)

Very Highly recommended from me

Rome to Venice by train

by Trippee

Has anyone any experience with the hotel Colombina?

Re: Rome to Venice by train

by A2002

Is the hotel Columbina train?
I have travelled from Rome to Venice by train, but din know it is hotel Columbina

Comments