2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Rated 15% higher but also costs 66% more than other 2.5 star hotels

More about Locanda al Leon

Nice hotel, great Value!

by TripAdvisor Member BillEmison

My sister and I stayed at Locanda al Leon from August 24-27 and would recommend it to any traveler. The rooms were clean, quiet, well-appointed and very comfortable. The staff was helpful and very accomodating. Great location near San Marco and a good value for the money!

Feel at home in the heart of Venice

by TripAdvisor Member 16101970

We stayed at Locanda al Leon from 06/10 to 06/13 and really enjoyed the clean and friendly atmosphere, a comfortable bed, a small, but perfect bathroom, TV, telephone, air conditioning, soundproof windows, a small refrigerator, friendly service and, compared to other Italian hotels, a quite extensive breakfast. Avoid restaurants, cafes and shops around the corner, there is nothing "Venetian" left. But the location is ideally located not only for the big touristic hangouts, but also for quieter and more romantic corners, e.g. in the Castello quarter.

Awesome!! Made an amazing finale for our honeymoon!

What a gem! Venice was our last stop on our honeymoon and what a wonderful experience Locanda al Leon made it! The location is perfect...close to St. Marks. The staff is amazing! The rooms are large and beautiful. We got a room at the very top overlooking a little piazza (ask for room 32). It was amazing! There is a large clean bathroom, an armoire, desk, mini-bar...the room is great size! We can not recommend this place any more highly! Stay here when in Venice!

Realistic review

by TripAdvisor Member pweath

I booked the Locanda Al Leon due to trip advisor's rating of #11 in Venice. We got off of the vaporetto and began looking for the hotel. The building on the corner of the alleyway is under construction and finding the alleyway is difficult. I was with my husband and 87 year old father-in-law. I finally had to place them in the square and go off to locate the place. The front door is LOCKED. I was absolutely sure it was closed and abandoned. To find out took another 30 minutes of walking in circles. The venders just around the corner were totally unhelpful. You must push a buzzer and be buzzed in.
There is no elevator! So don't pack heavy. The place was clean. The bathrooms small but renovated and provided for your needs. Bring your own shampoo and soap. It is provided but minimal. The rooms are cute but worn. Benefit is they do provide an excellent family oriented room. We all stayed together and were very comfortable with enough space. Breakfast is included which has buns, yogurts, cereals, coffee and tea. Bring your own instant cappuchino! I did not find the front desk people so helpful. I never saw the owners. There are a number of restaurants nearby and we had an herbed crusted lamb at the outdoor cafe beside the hotel that was fantastic. Would I stay there again, I really don't know. I admit, I am spoiled and use to full service hotels but if you want to save money, it is clean, with a great location. We were there May 30, 2004 for one night. This was my first time to Europe, so I may have expected more, unrealistically.

Lovely Locanda

This lovely hotel was exactly as described on the internet. Great location,around the corner from San Marco, but the sound proof rooms offer a welcome respite. Rooms were clean, minibar prices the cheapest we encountered in Europe and the breakfast excellent. The hosts were friendly and welcoming. Definitley recommend this little gem.

Location Location Location + Great Air Conditioning

Wonderful location, price, and great air conditioning. It was lovely to come back to our nice cool comfortable hotel room after running around all day.

I was relived once I got into our nice room.

Amazing Value & Location

by TripAdvisor Member windyrise

This little gem (only 9 rooms, but expanding by a few more this fall) is simply perfect for a cost-effective visit to Venice. The outside & lobby are somewhat non-descript but the rooms are recently renovated & lovely. For the amount of time you actually spend in a hotel room in Venice, my room was spacious with a reasonable sized bathroom. The whole property was spotless, the people at the front desk both day & night were helpful and very pleasant and the breakfast (included in room rate) was basic but all you need before a day of sight-seeing. The location cannot be beat - about a block from St. Mark's Square and also from the San Zaccharia vaporetto stop. An overall terrific hotel experience!

Lovely start to holiday

This place was alovely start to my holiday. Although the street is a little hard to find the location is perfect. The room was exactly as it looked on the internet, spacious and clean. All the staff there were very friendly and helpful.
A great place to stay at a great price.

Exactly as expected

This is a small hotel right in the heart of everything...2 minute walk to Piazza San Marco, overlooking a small Piazzale. The room was just lovely and the bathroom modern and up-to-date. One note: unless you're very used to these strange european hair dryers, bring your own. This one was weird (but I made it work for me!) The people spoke good english and were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was fine - a fancy "continental" breakfast. We couldn't have asked for more - in fact, it was exactly as we had hoped it would be!

A Venice gem

by TripAdvisor Member bcsanfran

A perfect Venice gem! We stayed here for three nights in August and couldn't have asked for a better combination of everything we were looking for in a hotel. Great location--just a short walk across the street from the Vaporetto stop, close to St. Marks Square but down a side alley so we were not right in the middle of all of the crowds. The hotel is small but very quaint and extremely clean. Our triple room (three single beds) was large, very nice and so quiet. Air conditioning was great and welcome treat after spending the days exploring the city. All of the staff were extremely friendly (offering directions and restaurant recommendations), especially Elvio, who upon my departure, offered to help me with getting my bags to the Vaporetto. The breakfast was simple and continental (cereal, croissants, yogurt), but a good way to begin our day. The room rate was so reasonable and a great value for all you receive! If you're interested in a nice, comfortable place to stay with a great location, friendly staff, and an excellent value, I highly recommend this hotel.

Where to stay in Venice

by sash100

Hi, we will be travelling to Venice in June 2010 and I'm wondering where would be the best place to stay in order to see the sights? Should not be too expensive. Does anyone have recommendations?

by Maryimelda

Try www.venere.com or www.bookings.com and you will get a good selection to choose from in all price ranges. I can recommend Hotel Spagna in Canareggio (right near Santa Lucia Train Station. It was very reasonably priced when I stayed there in June 2007 and breakfast is included in the price. See tip on my Venice page.

by xymmot

There is a great hotel there that has the only parking lot for cars. when you arrive there by bus or taxi, at the entrence of the square on the left hand side there is a hotel with a parking lot. I forgot the hotel name, but it was great because we drove right into town and was told to back out unless we had a reservation in the only hotel with the parking lot. we lied and try to check in and they just happen to have a room with three bed for 100 euros, parking was free and we had bicycles and lugguage stacked in the FORD focus that we just left in the gated lot. We stayed for two nights and then caught the ferry to Corfu. Great breakfast included with a great view of the canal from the window. Had a wonderful time there and I will try to find a receipt in my travel records for you.

by xymmot

I think it was Hotel Antiche Figure off of Piazzale Roma where the bus and taxi drop off is, like 50 meter walk

by sash100

Thanks guys for all the replies

by suvanki

Hi, I'd agree with suggestion for checking out Venere/ Booking.com. You can choose your accomm to suit your budget.
Venice has a reputation for being expensive, and the rooms are often smaller than some travellers expect, and breakfasts can be a bit disappointing.

How long are you staying in Venice?

If you check my Venice page, you'll find that I've stayed here a few times in the past few years, at places varying in price- my cheapest was last Christmas for 20 Euros per night in an Armenian College. I stayed in Hotel Abazzia in January, which is probably my favourite hotel in Venice - it was a bargain price in January, probably not in June though - A converted monastery near the Scalzi Bridge/Train Station.

Venice is easy to get around, so you don't have to stay in San Marco. In summer it is sometimes nice to stay a bit 'off the beaten track' to escape the noise from the 'main drag' to restaurants/bars etc.

Please feel free to contact me for more info.
Best Wishes,
Sue

by thegreathowardo

You could do what I do and just turn up... just around the corner from Piazza S. Marco is the Locanda Al Leon, they have a website, friendly people and a PERFECT location. Bargain on 100-120 Euros per night, but also ask about self catering...

Comments