Venice Hotels

Our Members Say

• sue_stone profile photo sue_stone
  • Reviews: 2318

Corte Gherardi B&B: Corte Gherardi B&B - near the Rialto Bridge

On our short visit to Venice in Sep 2007, I decided that I wanted to stay close to the Rialto Bridge, as we hadn't stayed in that area before. After extensive research I stumbled upon Corte Gherardi B&B which sounded perfect - it was in our price range, looked great (on the website) and was just a few minutes walk from the Rialto Bridge, in a quiet area.

The B&B is located on the 3rd floor of a great old building, with the entrance hidden in a small courtyard accessed via a big iron gate. It has only 3 rooms, which are recently renovated with comfortable beds and flat screen TVs. One of the rooms has a private bathroom, and the other 2 rooms share a bathroom. There is free internet in the hallway.

Located just around the corner from a small canal (which runs off the Grand Canal), we took advantage of this and arrived at the B&B in style - by water taxi from the airport : )

Although we arrived at around 9.30pm, we received a warm welcome, and were well looked after by our delightful hosts throughout our stay. We were travelling with my parents, and had booked the 2 rooms which share a bathroom. As the weather was fine, we enjoyed breakfast on the small roof terrace, which was a fabulous way to start the day and enjoy the view over the roof tops.

I would recommend Corte Gherardi as a modern, clean and friendly place to stay in a great location.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written November 11, 2007

Our room at Corte Gherardi B&B

• Trekki profile photo Trekki
  • Reviews: 2326

Some general remarks about where to stay

I did read so often that it is better to stay outside of Venezia, in Mestre for example, just for the prices. I found that this is not true, well, that this would be too rigorous to say. By now, Venezia has so many charming small B&Bs, pensione and guesthouses, that it is not really necessary to stay outside. Plus – Venezia at night is even more magic than during the day – when Piazza San Marco and the buildings along are illuminated, when the day tourists are vanished from the scene and when the whole atmosphere gets very much relaxed.

Everything is, according to my experience, a question of time, location and timing. This means, if you book your room early enough, you will be able to stay in Venezia for around 50 Euro per night for single or 80 Euro for double occupancy even in the high season. In winter, the prices will be even less. Summer prices (mostly August) are very often lower than for the high season. Of course, the prices climb very much during the high seasons, which are around Carneval, Easter and Christmas, plus from around early May to September. Accommodation in San Marco is mostly higher than in the other sestiere. I found that northern Castello and Can(n)aregio have often lower prices than other sestiere.
If you are flexible in time and don’t have that utmost desire to watch Carneval in Venezia, then it will be even less expensive.

I have booked quite late and got so many turndowns from B&Bs and small hotels, after I started sending mails approx. 5 weeks prior to my travel (from May 2, 2007, on). But these were mostly for the weekends, many hotels could offer me a bed for the week days. When I already started to get desperate at the thought to maybe have to pay more than 150 Euro per night, I got a nice email from the owners of Ca’Riccio (see below), who offered me a double room for the first 3 nights and help in finding something for the following days. I was thrilled and very much pleased with what I got !

So my utmost suggestion is:
* book early,
* avoid the peak times (Carival, Easter, Christmas and New Year, September and October and during Biennale anyhow, which is every second [odd] year),
* stay in Can(n)aregio or northern Castello (these two sestiere also have the advantage of being quite close to Fondamenta Nuove for day trips to the lagoon islands of Murano, Burano and Torcello, and it is mostly only 15 minutes walk to Piazza San Marco and even less to Ponte Rialto).

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Historical Travel, Backpacking
  • Written May 26, 2007

Not all beds are expensive as in Hotel Bauer

• Trekki profile photo Trekki
  • Reviews: 2326

Appartment Margharita: Appartment Margharita – on my own in Venezia

Cristiano (of Ca’Riccio) already told me about the apartment, but when I finally entered it, I was absolutely amazed ! It is incredible how much can fit on maybe 25 m2 and make it look homey (and no way overfull)! The owner, Margharita, also thinks about everything to make her guests feel at home. The bathroom (with shower, toilet, sink and bidet) has enough towels and toilet paper for weeks. The kitchen closets have dishes to serve a lot of people and some essentials like the typical Italian coffeemaker and coffee, oil, vinegar, peperoncino (perfect for cooking), pastries, milk etc. Plus, it is gas cooking, which makes any kind of food taste better (something I am not used to, as in my country some idiots have decided that we only use electric stove)

The 4 windows do have old fashioned wooden window blinds with the little “woman” to snapp for keeping them open – something I could not get enough of – opening them in the morning and closing them in the evening. But again, I come from a country where some idiot has once decided that these window blinds will be mostly replaced by boring shutters.

I enjoyed my stay there, albeit it was a bit loud, but well, this is Italy. I don’t mean that the area was crammed with tourists; I hardly saw some there, but just below in the street is one of these newspaper stands, which open at 6 in the morning.
Bathroom is small but has everything you need, shower, toilet and bidet, which came in very much handy to cool my poor feet after the daily marathons.

I paid 110 Euro per night, cash. That is the rate for the appartment and it sleeps two.
It can be booked through Ca’Riccio.

Stupid me forgot to take more photos inside before I started to open my backpack and throw my things around. So I only include a photo of my most practised ritual – coffee making and some photos of the little calle. It is the yellowish house on the right with green window blinds. The appartment is on the first floor.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written May 26, 2007

My daily ritual - morning coffee ��� ahhh

• sue_stone profile photo sue_stone
  • Reviews: 2318

"Piazza" Apartment: Roomy Apartment

On my last trip to Venice, there were 4 of us (2 couples) and the most economical accommodation option was to stay in a self contained apartment.

I came across the Piazza Apartment whilst looking at hotel accommodation at Ca'delle Acque - the owners of this hotel have several self contained apartments, and Piazza fit the bill.

Located less than 1 minutes walk from San Marco (!!) there were 2 bedrooms, a lounge room, small kitchen and bathroom with shower. It was not 5 star, more like 3 star, but perfect for our needs.

The very friendly and helpful owners met us and showed us through the apartment, gave us maps, with instructions to leave the keys on the table on our morning of departure. Easy.

We could explore Venice, return to our apartment at leisure, and even prepare our own meals there to save a little money - it is very expensive to dine out in Venice!

We really enjoyed staying here, and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it. BTW - there was about 20 stairs to get into the apartment.

• Related to: Trains, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written December 12, 2004

the lounge room

• BarbaraForza profile photo BarbaraForza
  • Reviews: 34

“CA’ DELLA MUSICA” DALL’AURELIA: Venetian hospitality

Characteristic venetian house, 14th century
Private entrance, corte (secret garden), external stairs go to the terrace and entrance to the first floor; large old style livingroom and sittingroom, there are two Bed and Breakfast bedrooms on the first floor.

Old style family bedroom:
40 mq large suite: private bathroom with shower and idromassage tube, hair-dryer .The bedroom is furnished with an antique large four-poster bed and 2 additional couch beds.
Two windows look out on Salizzada S. Francesco, large street with shops and real Venetian life.

Music Room :
Matrimonial bed; with private bathroom with shower The room is the musical library of Cà della Musica from his windows you have a beautiful view over the cross of two streets “salizzade” S. Francesco and
S. Giustina and over the seventeen’s century statue of Our Lady.

Livingroom-sittingroom: Continental Breakfast is served in the characteristic venetian livingroom classic music is served also during breakfast. Old set of fine porcelain and venetian glasses fine table cloth. In summer time the breakfast can be served in the terrace or in the private little garden.

Children: Welcome, evening babysitting available in house .

Animals: Garden available for pets and animal friends.

Courses: The Mistress is an actrice, director and teacher of Scenic Art at the Conservatorio, also coachs singers for disco grafic house Erato, and teaches summer specialization courses for Italian Opera, can do the same in house in Venice during your study vacation.

Double room: Euro 80, private bathroom.
X 3: Euro 100
X 4: Euro 120
For a family, parents and three children: Euro 130.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Singles
  • Written September 14, 2004

A room

• sandysmith profile photo sandysmith
  • Reviews: 5725

Locanda Conterie: Murano Locanda

Not actually in Venice itsellf but a short boat ride away on the glass island of Murano. A wonderful peaceful place to stay, restaurants are family afffairs and often cheaper than Venice. Compared to Venice hotels this place is a baragian and of good quality.
Double rooms just 75 euros per night in July and August and 90 eurs the rest of the year.
More details on my Murano page.

Antique furnishings, beamed ceilings, Murano glass chandeliers and modern en-suite bathrooms.

• Written August 8, 2004

locanda interior

• croisbeauty profile photo croisbeauty
  • Reviews: 7370

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ca' della Musica: Bed and breakfast

To all those who are on budget, it might be the perfect solution. The accomodation consist of huge room with five beds, 25 euros each. There is also an extra bathroom.

The main problem might be, how to get there, how to find it in again in the midle of thousands of short and narrow streets which all looks alike? The statue you see, on the top of the street-wall and this graphiti might be very helpful.

Ca' della Musica is situated in a short and narrow street inside of Campo Castello, probably one of the most quiet parts of Venice. The house is an medieval construction, inside of which the owner displays a kind of small museum with ancient furniture and accessories from the past times.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written June 30, 2005

Indication to Ca' della Musica

• MiniMaxi profile photo MiniMaxi
  • Reviews: 13

Venice is also Mestre!

When deciding to go for an hotel, too many people just look for some accommodation in the Venice *island*.
However, Venice has also a ground part, Mestre, which is extremely convenient because it's just 10/15 minutes by train/bus, and because accommodation there is usually a lot cheaper than in Venice island.
Of course, you miss a bit of the charm (you'll be sleeping in a "normal" city), but if budget and convenience are an issue, give Venice-Mestre a try.

Mestre in general is a good city also for shopping, because that is where the locals stay and live. More and more "venice island" people are in fact moving to the ground part, just because prices are getting too much "touristic" in the island.
Of course, if you want the typical "souvenirs" then the island is the place to go, but if you are also interested in dress, food etc, then Mestre is definitely a place to consider as well. So even if you are sleeping in Venice, possibly consider Mestre for shopping.

• Written September 27, 2004
Tip Photo

• aadil profile photo aadil
  • Reviews: 197

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Chiumento: Nice little hostel near the station!!!

One of the hostels near the station area where I stayed was called Casa Chiumento (Address: Santa Croce 1465, San Giacomo dell'Orio, Corte Scura, Venice. Tel: 041 5240054, Email: chiumento@tin.it) run by a very sweet old lady. The place was very clean and tidy with nice rooms and shared bathroom. Pretty close to the station at a less than ten minutes walk!!! Only euros 22 per person per night!!!

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written March 26, 2004

• belgianchocolate profile photo belgianchocolate
  • Reviews: 1073

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

SILVA: Don't worry about the stars...

We were camping near lake Garda before
we went to see Venice. We knew it was possible to camp near Venice and
that it was easy to reach.

Near lake Garda we had a **** campground
and payd 30 euro for a night. When we drove
to Lido Del Cavallino we noticed a big
sign saying
'SILVA - Camping at the beach'.
It had only one star.
But I was willing to give it a shot.

The big difference between this one and the
others we had was the price.
I don't understand a thing about the stars thing
in Italy.

'SILVA' has good and plenty of shower and
toilet accomodation. It had got a food store
as well as a restaurant where we ate a delicios
pizza Camping. (lol) And it was baked in a wood
oven.

And it is true , it is at the beach.
We stood in the parth near the road , that was
divided from it by a big hedge.
Our tent stood in the green green grass and
the trees gave us shadow. Great.

The best thing , we only paid 12 euro's for a night.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written September 8, 2004

• CindyInItaly profile photo CindyInItaly
  • Reviews: 22

Casa Petit: Quaint Bed & Breakfast

This place is great! Where else could you find cheap accomodations at such a great place?

The B&B has a great location with clean inviting rooms. Breakfast is served in a buffet style with fresh baked local breads. Rates vary from € 55 in the low season (small room), up to € 105/ 110 in the highest season (large room). You can't get a room this price anywhere else!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written October 15, 2004
Tip Photo

• sabinasta profile photo sabinasta
  • Reviews: 52

Villa Tonut: All conforts, incredible price

The apartment is very nice and comfortable and it is located in a great position where are different bars and restaurants (mexican, arabic, lebanese, italian...), and from here there are just a few steps to Rialto.

Washing machine, dish washer, TV, full equiped kitchen, independent apartment

• Related to: Budget Travel, Singles, Gay and Lesbian
  • Written February 6, 2004

the living room

• DSwede profile photo DSwede
  • Reviews: 1740

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Above most little restaurants: Improptu and budget stays

If you visit Venice on a no-notice booking or for some other reason, you don't have hotel reservations, don't worry. If the big hotels are full and/or too costly, you can find many rooms above restaurants or within private homes. Just walk the sidewalks and look for signs that read "cameres / rooms". If you don't see one, when you're having a coffee, ask the wait staff.

This little restaurant on a nondescript side street had 4 very comfortable rooms available for very moderate cost. Since these places do not advertise or network, there are usually some vacancies even when the main hotels are full.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written January 13, 2006

Small restaurant and inn

• cheapskate profile photo cheapskate
  • Reviews: 117

Residence Santa Croce: Quaint Little Place by the Grand Canal

The reception is not always open.. but you can always buzz the bell and someone will come to your resistance.

Every room has a private toilet which was big and spacious. They even provided embossed toilet paper! What a luxury! haha!

They have a little corner in each room where u can make instant coffee or tea and some small cracker snacks as well.

It was bit pricey at 33Euros per night in a 6 bed dormitory.. But it was on Venice island so you save time travelling.

They have 2 bed private or 4 or 6 beds dorms. All rooms are ensuite.

I found it to be a very unique experience.. Staying in a typical Venetian building. Lugging my luggage up the narrow stairway.. It was like a maze!

I got a bed that was next to window.. So i was sleeping to the small overlapping waves of the grand canal.. and woke up to the sounds of motorboats in the morning!

• Related to: Backpacking, School Holidays, Budget Travel
  • Written February 18, 2006

Room where i stayed

• Pierangelo profile photo Pierangelo
  • Reviews: 503

* * * * 1 Deluxe double lagoon view 1.760,00 EUR: Hotel Danieli

The Hotel Danieli is a masterfully restored palace synonymous with the splendour and romance of Venice. We are just steps away from the Piazza San Marco and its Basilica as well as legendary sites such as the Doge's Palace and the Bridge of Sighs.

The main building is the original 14th century palace of Doge Dandolo's family, a Venetian gothic landmark lavishly appointed with pink marble, stained glass, ceilings decorated with golden leaves, Murano glass chandeliers, and antiques. These glorious interiors are rivalled only by the captivating panoramic views from our rooftop restaurant, La Terrazza Danieli. Nominated on Cond? Nast Traveler's 2002 Gold List and 2001 Readers' Choice Awards List, the Hotel Danieli has been the luxury hotel preferred by discerning visitors to Venice for generations.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive