Olga

Cannaregio 5133 - Calle del Fumo, Venice, Venice, Italy

More about Venice

Life like CreationsLife like Creations

Santa Maria della SaluteSanta Maria della Salute

The secret turn off to get there.The secret turn off to get there.

San MicheleSan Michele

from verona to venice in train

by eladr

Hi,
My name is Elad and I will be in venice in Sunday aug 22th (with my wife)
I will come in a train from Verona.

should i buy the tickets in the same morning or maybe i should go to train station one-two days before, and buy the tickets?

Also, I want someone to guide us in the city (Venice) for 2-3 hours.(some kind of private tour – not professional)
if anyone else u know someone in the city... I can pay of course.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Elad

by leics

I can't help with a tour guide, I'm afraid (although Venice is very small, very walkable and easy to explore on your own with a good guidebook).

You don't need to buy train tickets beforehand, although you can if you wish. Trains are pretty frequent. Ticket machines are easy to use and have English language options. Better to use cash rather than fiddle about with a card, I think....but that's a personal opinion.

If you buy on the morning you travel, allow yourself a bit of extra time just in case lots of people want to use the machines.

Train times, details and fares in English here;

by hawkhead

The Venice Tourist Office just off St Mark's Square has audio tour guides one can rent, which may be a better option than a private tour. However, with a good guide book and a certain amount of prior research it is easier and more pleasant to do it yourself and discover Venice as you go. You need a good map - recommend the Rough Guide one.

by leics

Also recommend the Rough Guide map: cheap, accurate, indestructible.

by eladr

thanks all!

by suvanki

Hello Elad! I've travelled by train too and from Venice a few times, and I've usually just turned up at the station and purchased my tickets. There are very regular trains on this route.
Ensure you give yourself plenty of time, as besides possibly having to queue to purchase your tickets (either from a machine or counter), you also have to validate your ticket at another machine before boarding the train. If you fail to validate your tickets, the fines are quite expensive. I understand Verona is one of Italys busiest stations.

Guided walk-

Do you and your wife have a specialist interest-architecture/art/music etc-as there are guides that will offer personalised walks - I googled Guided Walks Venice, and found lots of such itineraries- though these might not be quite what you are looking for though.

The Ca' Foscari University of Venice might have students that would be pleased to show you around (Although I'm guessing, most will be on their summer break)
Address:
Dorsoduro 3246 , Venice 30123 Italy
Switchboard:
39 41 2348111
Fax:
+390412348318

There are lots of tips about Venice on VT, which you can used to make your own customised guide to print and carry with you.

I've put my first few pages of tips in an order that takes you on a walk from San Marco to the Rialto Bridge that includes some of Venices main sights, and some off the beaten track things to see also. http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/6f35e/22643/

Please feel free to contact me for more information.

Looking forward to reading all about your trip!

Travel Tips for Venice

Venice - truly is the city of love, be prepared

by jenn5179

So, after a couple nights in Venice, we went on a gondola ride and asked the driver why it seemed there was no nightlife.

His answer -- This is the city of love, people eat, and go home to be in love. People do not stay at the bars all night

SOOO, if you are going on a trip with a group or just friends and enjoy nightlife, do not spend more than 2 nights in Venice, or you may become a little bored. There is plenty to see and do during the day, but very few bars are open past 12 I loved the city, the little streets, the walking around and getting lost. The fact that it is on the water and has been for so long is just amazing.

We had the great advantage of...

by Joleen

We had the great advantage of relatives living in Vicenza who could show us Venice. We spent only one day there. We loved the ambience of the city. We especially enjoyed our gondola ride through the canals of Venice. We spent a great deal of time in the Piazza di San Marcos. And, on the advice of Steve Ricks, we made sure we had a kiss on the Rialto Bridge! We wouldn't have missed any of it!
We also took the opportunity to go to Murano, a wonderful experience. We miss the ancient and friendly feeling of that great city. We would go back in a heartbeat.

Sestiere Dorsoduro

by croisbeauty

Most of the visitors starts exploring the town of Venice from Piazzale Roma at Santa Croce. It is the point from where one can take slow vaporetto along Canal Grande or quick ride through Canalle della Giudecca. I suggest you quick ride which is less crowded.
In my opinion, however, the best is to start exploring the town by foot. Take Fondamente S. Croce and enter into the Dorsoduro. The first impression of what Venice is, you'll get at Rio del Tolentini (see the picture).

San Marco Lions – there must be thousands

by Trekki

Who does not know the famous San Marco lion ? (haha, what a stupid rhetorical question; maybe the Eurodisney tourists won’t know, though). The lion symbolises evangelist Marcus / Marco and as Venezia is very much proud of having him as her saint (and remember how much effort was done to get hold of his relics), he is very much present all over the whole city.
If you are travelling with kids, I think, it can be fun to try and make them count the lions. But haha, I also tried and count them, even if I am no longer a kid (but others might have different opinions, though).
The most famous ones are of course at Palazzo Ducale, Basilica San Marco and on the pillars at the Bacino. But I found so many, I finally gave up to count. They were even in courtyards, along at house walls and on monuments for prominent Venezianos. But the most interesting oha-effect (of which I had countless in Venezia) I had when I saw the sign of insurance company Generali. Now I had an insurance with them for quite a while, but it never ever came to my mind to ask myself what their logo meant. I had to come to Venezia to realise that they are using San Marco lion…. One of these moments when I laughed so much with my newly found enlightment that I nearly fell into the water.

Oh, and you will see not only lions in Venice – you can also go elephant hunting – as Sandy did :-): see here, her last tip on page 3 of to-do:
elephants at Scuola Grande di Rocco

Unique: Venice glass. You can...

by vysnaite

Unique: Venice glass. You can find many cute things made from Venetian glass, personally I brought home family of cute elephants. Also fans , masks are popular souvenirs, prices differ greatly, don't be afraid to wander around before buying, so that you wouldn't regret later!
in the picture Rialto Bridge

Funny thing: it was really unusual for me to see speed limit (road) signs standing out from the water! For some reason it made amused me to craziness every time I saw it! :)

Comments