Quattro Fontane

More about Venice

CapesanteCapesante

Piazzo San MarcosPiazzo San Marcos

Inside Ai MercantiInside Ai Mercanti

Validate your ticket here...Validate your ticket here...

Hotel Recommendations & Local Transportations

by stephenao

On 10/10, I'll disembark from a cruise and have 2 full days to tour Venice and leave on 10/12 very early in the morning 6am flight.

For convenience and cost savings, Is it good idea to book 2 separate hotels: one near to seaport "Marittima, Fabbricato #248, Venice 30135" (within walking distance as I have two checked baggeges); and the other just next to the airport, "Macro Polo". Need a quite and clean room including private bath inside the room, any budgetive hotel recommendations?

Is the seaport inside the centre of Venice? If not, how get there by public transport? how much the fare is? and should I purchase a 2-day pass?

Would appreciate your guidiance, thanks

by leics

I really don't think you need to book two separate hotels unless you want to do so.

There is a very efficient and reasonably-priced bus service from Piazzale Roma in Venice to Marco Polo airport. Timetables (click on the clock) and info in English here:

For hotels, look at www.venere.com It is a reliable site which lists almost all Italian hotels, with honest guest reviews (you can't post a review unless you have completed a stay booked through the site) and good mapping. I stayed at

booked through venere. It is about 5 minutes walk from Piazzale Roma.

You won't find hotels right by the port (and would not want to stay there anyway, I suspect). But the port is within walking distance of P Roma, or you can take a taxi for 5 minute or so journey:

Marittima is not in the centre of Venice; it is at the end of the causeway to the mainland. But Venice is small and very walkable (walking across the whole city will only take around an hour) and the area around P. Roma is a perfectly reasonable play to stay. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to San Marco (for the Basilica) and there is easy access to the vaporetti (water-buses) if you wish.

Vaporetti fares are ridiculously high at 6.50 euro for a single ticket. I would not buy a pass unless you want to use the vaporetti a great deal; I did not use them at all on my visit. Information on fares in English here:

and on routes and timetables:

A hotel near P. Roma seems to be the best idea, imo.

by leics

Sorry, I've just seen that you need to be at Marco Polo for 4am.
My apologies...the bus will be no good at that early hour.

It will probably be best to stay near the airport, although you won't find a huge choice of hotels and may still need to book a taxi. Use venere.com to find what is avilable.

by Jawnuta

I would just stay by Marco Polo both nights.
You can take boat from there to Venice each day, or hop on a bus for very little money.

Other wise you will waste way too much time for check in and check out at each hotel and you won't see much of Venice.

by stephenao

Thanks for your advice. will start looking for the hotel near the airport.

by stephenao

thanks, will follow your advice

Travel Tips for Venice

Movies to watch

by Dabs

Venice is a feast for the eyes so naturally there are a lot of movies set with Venice as the star. Here are a few to get you started:

"Wings of a Dove" with Helena Bonham-Carter and Linus Roache, a Henry James tragedy

"Dangerous Beauty" set during the 1500s in the time of courtesans, great chemistry between the lead actors and beautifully filmed

"Casino Royale" starring Daniel Craig as 007, mostly set in Montenegro, there are some fabulous shots of Venice. And not to mention fabulous shots of Daniel Craig!

"Summertime" with Katherine Hepburn as an aging spinster visiting Venice for the 1st time, I thought Ms. Hepburn overacted and the plot a bit thin but the scenery is gorgeous.

"Casanova", the 2005 version with Heath Ledger is watchable but mediocre.

Walk off on your own, away...

by kinipela6

Walk off on your own, away from the crowds, and experience true Venitian life. I took off from my friends, with only a small backpack with my drawing materials. I found a beautiful secluded place, next to a wall covered in flowers and a gorgeous canal. I sat there with my sketchbook in hand for hours just sketching my experience!!

Buy a mask. There's loads of...

by Lozza_9

Buy a mask. There's loads of mask shops. Some of them actually make them in the shop and they allow you to watch - great. You can buy cheap masks that are not originals and they are produced all over the city.They are good souvenir, and you will be spoilt for choice. Here's a picture of my boyfriend wearing his mask.

The colourful houses and the canals

by sim1

The colourful houses and the canals, they are a sight I will never forget. I even had a clear blue sky at this point, not something I had that much during my visit to Venice, so I was really pleased to see a bit of sunshine.

Jeans Made of Wood

by nicolettart

On one visit to Venice, we purposely lost ourselves and found the shop of the wood sculptor, Livio DeMarchi. Not your ordinary woodcarver. In the window was a wood dining room set in which the chairs were jeans in a seated position. It was the most incredible thing! The other window had wooden underwear on a clothesline, so realistic and whimsical! Unfortunately the shop was closed. The following year when we went to Venice I was determined to find this shop again and meet the sculptor, even though we had no idea how we got there in the first place. Well, guess what, we found it! The guy was so nice he gave me pictures of his work to show my students and described his wooden Mercedes boat which is amphibious! We took a great picture together, where he poses with his wooden fedora.

Comments