Residenza Cannaregio Hotel

Residenza Cannaregio
Orbitz.com Venere.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Off the Beaten Path!

Fantastic! Rooms are spacious, clean and have views of the canal. Staff are courteous, helpful and friendly. Location is great. After a busy day in San Marco, or Murano, or wherever you're off to, you come back to a quiet, quaint neighborhood. Local restaurants are good (stay away from All' Antica Mola). Local stores have what you need at local prices!

Unique Quality: Great, quiet location!

• tomhoward's Profile Photo

The Monastery in Cannaregio

Residenza Cannaregio is a recently renovated monastery in the Cannaregio district of Venice (northwest of island). The hotel is basically a mix of old and new, although the only remaining original features are the brick walls of the monastery - everything else is new build. As a result, it is probably a little too modern for some people, and certainly lacks the Venetian character you might find elsewhere. However, we stayed over Easter and the double room (including breakfast) cost 95 UK pounds (138 Euros) per night - an absolute steal for a 4 star hotel in Venice.
    Booked on Expedia, but be careful since some of the hotels are not the bargains you immediately think. The cheaper ones are probably located on the Lido, a nearby island with restricting boat times, or the main land, an awkward taxi ride away.

If you're coming here for the first time, sacrifice the budget or quality, and stay in Venice itself. You're closer to all the attractions (obviously), but will also experience the best part of any Venetian holiday, just walking through the streets by day and by night. For those coming in the summer who've been here before, then the Lido is a better choice. Beaches by day, then hop over to Venice for the evening when strangely (???) most of the tourists have disappeared.

Unique Quality: Few tourists venture into the residential Cannaregio district as it's pretty much the furthest area from St. Marks. Take my word for it that the trip will be worth it to escape from the crowds in the south of the island. Once we knew the route, we could walk to St. Marks in about 45 mins - and this was always one of the highlights of the day.

Directions: It was just off our map... at the end of Canale Della Sensa, then turn right

More about Residenza Cannaregio Hotel

A nice hotel away from the crowds

by Ingeborga about Hotel Al Portico

This lovely guesthouse is located in a quiet corner of Cannaregio district, away from the crowds, shouting and yelling. The guesthouse is close to the Venetian Jewish ghetto, so if you have a craving for some kosher food - this is definitely a place to stay. The rooms are very modest: a bed, a chair, a closet and a bathroom. Fully air conditioned. The staff is friendly and is very willing to point out non-touristy eating spots and places to be.

Affordable Venetian Opulence

by JohanIsWeg about La Palazzina Veneziana

Not the easiest place to find on the Internet, La Palazzina Veneziana is one of those little secrets travellers like to keep to themselves. Overlooking Il Ponte delle Guglie in Cannaregio, La Palazzina Veneziana offers select guests the opportunity to enjoy a "real" Venice experience - at an affordable price.

Booking. We corresponded via email with Katia at La Palazzina Veneziana, which was a painless experience. Katia was prompt in her replies and answered all my questions unhesitatingly. The price was all inclusive and Katia only required our credit card details to secure the room - payment was made upon our arrival. She also assured me we could leave our luggage for safekeeping, should we arrive prior to book-in. Their email is info@lapalazzinaveneziana.it

Arrival. Having arrived at Santa Lucia Train Station, we turned left into Rio Tera Lista de Spagna, crossed Guglie Bridge and arrived at the front entrance of the guest house. Even with bags in tow, we covered the 500m in a matter of minutes!

Room. Our luxuriously appointed room was a stunning replica of 18th Century Venetian accommodation. Looking out over the Cannaregio canal, our room had its own terrace from where we could watch the hustle and bustle of water-borne commerce and the romance of gliding gondolas. Relaxing with a glass of white wine, we got many an envious glance from the throngs of day-trippers trudging their way back across the Guglie Bridge to Santa Lucia Train Station.

Breakfast. While not spectacular, the breakfast provided the necessary sustenance for an active day of walking and sightseeing. The buffet style breakfast included all the basics, except for meat such as bacon or ham. However, Alina was always willing to produce a few slices if that is what guests required.

Service. Very friendly, almost homely. Alina speaks English well and was always on hand to answer a question or give advice.

Location. Situated as it is in Cannaregio, the guest house is in close proximity to the vibrant stalls, shops, restaurants and wine shops along Rio Tera San Leonardo. It is also very close to the famous Jewish Ghetto (Campo di Ghetto Nuovo). Vaporetto stops Guglie and San Marcuola is also close nearby, although we preferred to walk to Santo Croce, San Polo, Dorsoduro, Castello and Piazza San Marco. Canal views in a luxurious room at an affordable price.

Ca'Gottardi

by madamx

This hotel located on a minor canal in Venice has the best of both worlds -- easy access to main tourist sites either by walking or by vaporetto, plus being located on the Strada Nuova in Cannaregio (the old Jewish Ghetto area) giving us a slice of daily Venetian life.

Overall, we enjoyed the hotel and would stay there again. The staff were polite, though somewhat restrained, they could have been a little bit more friendlier. However, they were quite helpful with booking us a water taxi and with any questions we had. Most of the staff spoke good English, and with the ones who didn't it was easy to make ourselves understood. Breakfast was provided, and was more than adequate -- fruit, juices, coffee, yogurt, cereal, plus proscuitto and cheese and fresh baked buns and cornettos. There was also a small selection of cookies and commercial baked goods in baskets on each table.

A small supermarket, Billa, was located right across the bridge and we purchased snacks and water for great prices -- a bottle of water in our room was 2 Euros, and we bought a six-pack of the same brand and size for 1.59 Euros.

We stayed in their only suite that overlooked the canal, and it was huge, with antiques, a big chaise lounge, and a gigantic Venetian glass chandelier as the main focal point. The room was very quiet for being located on a major Venetian street. The bathroom was modern, and our only complaint was the shower door would not close all the way, causing the water to leak out onto the floor. We informed the management but they didn't really seem concerned. We just asked for extra towels, which they provided gladly.

The airconditioning worked well, especially as we were having unusually warm weather in Venice.

Great Venice Apartment

by kathymof about Apartment Maddalena

Very nice apartment in the Cannaregio district of Venice. It is on a small calle just a short distance from the Church of San Maddalena. You have to cross only one bridge from the S. MARCUOLA water bus stop. It is on the first floor European (2nd US). It is a one room studio with two twin beds that can be made up as one large bed. It is very clean and has pleanty of light. The furniture is comfortable and there is plenty of storage. It even comes with a small but useful washing machine. There are no international channels on the TV. It has air conditioning that really works. The kitchen is well equipped - the only thing that wasn't there was a microwave. The beds were mattresses places on top of metal sprung cots so they were ok but not great. Great location away from the crowds but very near a large supermarket and a waterbus stop. Clean and has every thing you could want. Owner lives in same building in case there are problems. Well maintained building and apartment. Better lighting than average for a European apartment.

cosy canal side fully equipped apartment in Venice

by Jawnuta about CANNAREGIO APARTMENT

We found this gem on the internet after an extensive research.
The apartment is located in Cannaregio part of Venice away from the tourists on quiet canal.
There is small supermarket, bakery, wine store and coffee shop just around the corner. You can also walk 5 min to large supermarket and about 15 min to Pesceria market.
We (4 adults) were staying here for 3 nights in July'10.
We had plenty of space and privacy.

We really liked this apartment and if we ever go to Venice again we will make sure to stay at the same place.

Julie, the owner was very nice, prepared for her guests a book with important information about Venice. She also left us some milk and sweets. She encouraged us to contact her if we were missing anything, but we were so busy running around that we didn't wanted to bother her about any minor thinks like lack of dishwasher detergent, we just got our own.

We really liked the price as we paid 120 Euro for a night (4 adults).

P.S.
There was also and iron, ironing board and rack to dry your clothes. Bedroom had large bed, night tables, huge closet (with extra blankets, pillows, bed linen, towels and plenty of space to hung your clothes), dresser with large drawers, two windows.
Bathroom was quite large and it contained of small shower (my 6' tall american husband had problem with soaping himself and I had to open the shower door to shave my legs as the shower is really narrow inside), toilet, bidet, sink, laundry machine (which we used, but had to get our own detergent), towel warming rack and plenty of little hooks to hung your towels and clothes.
Living room/kitchen/dining room area with large sleeping sofa (good for 2 adults), small extra foldable bed, AC, living room furniture, umbrellas, dining table with 4 chairs, large refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, toaster oven, tea pot, stove oven, plenty of cooking equipment (pots, pans, etc), plenty of serving plates, silverware, glasses, etc.
We had problem operating the dishwasher (as I always use heavy duty wash on mine) but it worked fine on green energy saving setting. Bring few bricks of your dishwasher detergent, as there was none in the apartment. There was enough salt in the kitchen to last 10 years :-) we also found some oil, garlic, pasta etc. after previous tourists, and left some stuff behind as well.
To be picky...I was missing sharp knife to chop my parsley, and the cutting board was really worn out but I managed :-) If I went there again I would bring small sharp knife just to speed up my cooking.
Street and canal were quiet during the day and at night, but early morning seagulls were giving quite loud concerto :-)
AC was only in living room/kitchen/dining room area and not in the bedroom. When we opened the window in the bedroom, mosquitos didn't let us sleep. We could turn the AC in the living room, close the windows, and keep the door between rooms open but then we would not have privacy and my sister in the living room didn't like to have AC :-( Apartment however was not very hot due to its architecture and being on the ground floor.

So, so hotel

by TripAdvisor Member pups

We stayed at this hotel because of the raves in Trip Advisor. The room was not capacious, the canal stunk, we were not upgraded to a suite and the service was impersonal, at best. The breakfast was okay, the bacon swam in its grease and they charged 10 Euros for room service. We were consumed also by mosquitos, which made opening the window impossible.

We did, however, find an amazing restaurant (courtesy of The New York Times), near the hotel. Not cheap, but the fish was very fresh and well prepared, and their appetizer platter of fish and shell fish was incredible. The wine was reasonable and very, very good and the service, unlike Cannaregio, was personal and impeccable. It's called "Restorante Al Fontego dei Pescatori" on Sottoportego del Tagiapiera. A bit off the beaten track, but well worth the hunt.....I thought it was better than "AL Covo".

Loved It!

by TripAdvisor Member bkbelle

This hotel was a super find- I went through a tour operator but consulted TripAdvisor to ensure that this hotel and the one that I eventually chose in Rome were up to par... boy, did I ever SCORE! The Cannaregio is super-boutiquey, very cool setting to come home to! The room key controls everything, the lights, the AC/Heat- so techies will be over the moon. My room overlooked the courtyard- at night, it is lit up with fairy lights and just enchanting! Many travellers have spoken of being upgraded to a loft room- I wasn't, perhaps because I was travelling by myself. The staff was a little standoffish, but it I assure you that it wasn't awful. My huge problem was in finding the place! I was consistently lost-- for hours!! Even with a map!! The vaporetto stop is close by, something I figured out at the end of the trip (just my luck!) so I'd recommend that people going there go that route first. Even Venetians aren't able to explain where it is (a sad fact that I encountered more than once!). Additionally, know that many of the smaller alleys and bridges across Venice don't seem to have made it onto the maps, which is difficult when you're trying to navigate. And I'd agree with other travellers who've said to skip the hotel restaurant- it's definitely overpriced and the food isn't so good.
However, please don't let that stop you from booking into the Cannaregio- it and marvellous Venice made my trip very special!

Cannaregio sestiere

by Rainjoy60

"my favorite neighborhood"

During my first two trips to Venice I stayed in an apt. just down the street from the yellow building on the right. It was pure magic waking up early in the morning and strolling across the wooden bridge, on my way to have a cafe macchiato and to watch the Venetians performing their daily chores.

Cheap accommodation in Cannaregio, Venice

by vasilyec

Can anyone please recommend cheap (under 80 Euro per room/night) hotel or b&b in Cannaregio, Venice? Thanks!

RE: Cheap accommodation in Cannaregio, Venice

by LubaLorine

Please specify how many people per room and if you require a private bath or if shared is okay. This will definitely pertain to the locations recommended to you. Rates will vary quite a bit depending on if you require a single or a triple and the shared bath is a way to save money as well, but this may or may not appeal to you.

RE: RE: Cheap accommodation in Cannaregio, Venice

by vasilyec

Thanks for your reply. We need double room with the shower and w/c in the room in September 24-29/06.
Any advice?