San Cassiano Ca' Favretto Hotel Venice

San Cassiano Residenza d'Epoca Ca' Favretto
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Wonderful hotel

My Husband took us here for two nights on our honeymoon.  Wonderful hotel.  Feels higher than a three star hotel.  Nice large rooms.  We stayed in the red room on the first floor which looked out over the grand canal. Friendly staff, nice breakfast choice.  Would definately recommend.  Best to reach by boat as hotel has it's own landing stage.  Met a few residents who had come the back way through the narrow streets and nearly all of them got lost.

Unique Quality: Brilliant position on Grand Canal just down from the Rialto bridge.  Brilliant views.  Close to many of the main sights of Venice.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

LOVELY, but EXPENSIVE

We stayed only 2 nights because they were already booked out for the third night we wanted; being as it was just at beginning of the high season, and they are fairly small. This was the most expensive hotel I have ever stayed at, but we considered it a special splurge, being Venice, etc., etc.

We loved the hotel and other than a slight hint of the often-found attitude in Venice, of looking down on Americans/foreign tourists, we thoroughly enjoyed it. As you can see, our room was plush and good sized; wonderful bed! beautiful bathroom. Our air conditioner worked fine.
    I also thought the breakfast was a full selection (contrary to some of the other reviews), which included fresh fruits. I can imagine that certain things in this locale can sometimes be a problem to procure! We got to experience the breakfast on the tiny terrace overlooking the canal on our last day!

We, too, had a little difficulty in finding the hotel, after disembarking the vaporetto, but fortunately, upon asking twice along the way, were given directions. We liked its location, being a little away from the crush, but easy to get to the main areas when desired.

• katypo's Profile Photo

Best Kept Secret

The hotel staff were helpful and friendly. The room was lovely. the hotel itself itself is fabulously decorated. A bar on the canal (literally)! Breakfasts were nice! Hotel is covered in art of all kinds.

Unique Quality: Views are stunning.
    Hotel has really intimate feel.

Directions: somewhere in Santa Croce! I couldn't find it when I was there let alone now!

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

Feel Venezia

Originally built in the XIV century, the house served throughout the years as residence to some of the more important Venetian noble families until 1951 when it was transformed into a "pensione".The hotel boasts several rooms directly along the Grand Canal and the famed Ca' d'Oro. For those travelers interested in economy without sacrificing style and comfort, this is the right place ..A buffet breakfast is included in the price of the room and is served in a sunny salon overlooking the Grand Canal.

Directions: In front of the famed "Ca' d'Oro", Ca' Favretto is located just 5 minutes from the Rialto bridge and 15 from Saint Mark's Square.

• mydreamquest's Profile Photo

Overpriced though Good Location

I stayed 5 days here at this hotel located about 10 minute walk from Rialto Bridge and across the Canal from Ca d'Oro. The hotel is supposedly historical and is in a classically decorated interior. As it is located off the Grand Canal, if you wake up ahead of everyone else and the weather's cooperative you can enjoy breakfast with views overlooking the Grand Canal.

The service was reasonable and the room was pretty big. However, the rooms were not comfortable and there was a 14 inch television. Not something you'd expect from a hotel that charges upwards of $300-$400/night. They did offer free umbrellas when it was raining and also offered a free water taxi to Murano to a Glass Factory with rather aggressive sales people acting like tour guides.

From the Ferrovia Vaporetto Stop, you can water taxi to this hotel for 45 Euro (2 people and 4 pieces of luggage). You can walk it too if you need the exercise and the walk to Ferrovia (the station where Venice's Central Train Station, Santa Lucia, is located). It's about a 30 minute walk.

Evidently, if they like you, they give you better rooms. Evidently, the person at this hotel didn't like me.

All in all, it's an ok hotel but is definitely not worth the price you will pay to stay here. The breakfast buffet consisted of croissants, excellent coffee, and a small variety of cereals, juices, and meats and was not hearty or sensational. No fresh fruits which I thought was pathetic for a $350+ per night hotel.

I would not recommend this hotel because it is on the right side or San Croce side of the canal. If you stay in Venice, try to get a hotel room on the same side of the canal as San Marco Square. Venice seemed more accessible on that side of the canal, though, from here, you are very close to the Museum of Modern Art and Campo Santa Magherita in Dorsoduro.

Unique Quality: Free water taxi ride to a Murano Glassmaking shop (about 60 Euro value); but if you do not buy glass, expect unfriendly treatment and definitely no return taxi ride which, by vaporetto is about a 30-45 minute return trip.

Directions: 10 minute walk away from Rialto Bridge heading towards "Ferrovia."

• themenz's Profile Photo

Nice location but....

I am withholding any recommendation for this hotel. We stayed 4 nights and paid a lot. The room was clean and very nice sized, bed was comfortable, the view from our room was just another building, the lobby was nice. The breakfast was typical continental with a couple of American breakfast choices like scrambled eggs. Views from deck was the grand canal, very nice.

Since we had paid a lot, in my view, for this hotel, I nicely asked the manager if we had been lucky enough to get a view of the grand canal. He sniffed and said rather curtly that we would have had to pay at least 100 euros more per night and those rooms were booked anyway. The staff was non responsive to our requests for more air conditioning--it was 80 F. (26.5 C) in our room at night! We found out later that they had turned off the air to save money. Being on the third floor made it unbearably hot. The air temp in late September was cool, but don't open your windows in Venice without screens. The mosquitos ate me alive. 10 bites on our first night. The hotel manager said that mosquitos were never a problem that time of year. Yeah, right!! So it was either the mosquitos or keep the windows closed and suffer with the heat.

Also they would not or could not tell us that a laundry, dry cleaners and internet access were located one boat stop away! Gave us poor directions to the opera we booked. It took us nearly an hour to get there using their directions and only 15 minutes to get back the direct way.

Unique Quality: Not too special. Located about three small canals with bridges away from the Actv stop - (canal boats). Getting luggage there is a bit of a haul. Water taxi at 80 euros to the airport is worth every penny.

Nice bar, and great deck onto the grand canal.

Ernesto the bell boy/bartender is outstanding with a great attitude.

• stfan's Profile Photo

One of the best hotels in Venice

I stayed in Venice on the 28 of april and was there for four days. I booked a room at this hotel since I thought the rooms were very nice and it faced the Grand Canal. When I arrived in Venice I had to walk around for hours but finally I found this hotel. And it was great! Even better then I hope it would be. The service was good and the staff was very friendly. My room, a single room, was very nice decorated in typical venetian style and I must say it really surprised me how nice it was. I was only paying 100 Euros a night for this hotel. By just looking out the window you could see the Grand Canal. They had a mini-bar which was very good and a map and of course soap and other things. They also cleaned the rooms everyday.

Overall a very pleasent experience and if I would ever come back to Venice this is the hotel I would stay at so I thing its safe to reccomand this hotel to anyone!

Unique Quality: I must say that the room was a delight. They were so beautifully decorated and it was very nice to stay in them.

Directions: Very close to Rialto Bridge.

• tuoedisni1's Profile Photo

A room bigger than my apartment!

I would highly recommend this hotel. First of all, it is right on the water. Also, it is a 5 minute walk to the Rialto Bridge and a 10 minute walk to San Marco (once you find your way around the Venice streets! ).
    The service was exceptional, and because it was the off season (and our friend flirted with the guy behind the desk :), we got a room the size of my apartment!

It is reasonably priced, well OK - maybe a little above average - but totally worth the money.

Unique Quality: Excellent Views!!! This a picuture of my sister outside of our window. See what I mean about the views?!?

Directions: If you have a lot of luggage - DO NOT WALK TO THIS HOTEL. Take the water taxi's and save yourself the agony.

• ChrsStrl's Profile Photo

A nice Grand Canal hotel

On the Grand Canal not far from the Rialto but far enough to be away from the crowds, it gives a wonderful view of the Canal from the balcony for breakfast, and a quiet drink from the Canal-side decking at night. Comfortable and air-conditioned it is a pleasing place, without being pretentious.

If you can it is worth leaving booking until last-minute bargains are available.

If, like us, you want a room only to sleep in, as you want to be out doing things during the day, this is an ideal place.

Unique Quality: Friendly, near St Stae stop, and near a nice fish restaurant. Not anything classy - there are enough hotels doing that market in Venice, just good, solid, service.

More about San Cassiano Ca' Favretto Hotel Venice

Lovely setting and friendly staff

We have just returned from our wedding in Venice where we stayed at the San Cassiano for 4 nights. Due to a problem with our booking we stayed in 3 different rooms during this time.

The first was a courtyard suite on the second floor. Although it did not have the canal view that we thought we had booked, the room was very comfortable, clean and spacious with wonderful high ceilings and a spotless bathroom. It was also handy being opposite the breakfast room - here I must mention the wonderful views from the breakfast terrace (if you are lucky enough to get an outside table which we were every morning), and the perfectly adequate breakfast buffet with hot and cold selections.

The second room is the reason the hotel did not get 5/5. We were moved to a canal view room on the ground floor which was far from standard. The room was small and dingy and in need of decoration with fixtures hanging off the walls, the bathroom was tiny and old, and the noise from the canal was immense. We complained and the staff were very understanding and helpful but could not move us until the next day.

Our final room where we spent the last 2 nights of our stay was a canal view suite on the top floor. The room was exceptional. It was huge with 2 large windows looking on to the canal, a seating area and a high beamed ceiling as we were in the eaves. The room had a lot of character and was a lovely end to our stay. Staff were friendly and helpful at all times.

The moral is do not insist on a canal view room if it means being relegated to the dungeon and if you can afford it book a suit.

The location is great as you are only a 10min walk to Rialto but far enough away from the crowds to enjoy a relaxing stroll and some space.

Must also mention the small terrace/landing stage over the canal as a wonderful place to sit with a drink and watch the world go by.

Help!! Which Hotel!!

by mdkulkarni

Hey! A few friends and I are going to be in Venice in July this year and are looking at accomodation options!

We would like to stay in a luxury/ boutique hotel near the entertainment area near bars, restaurants, shopping.. and preferably with a good view..

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

by northsea

Try Hotel Danielli ( = a boutique hotel ) Don't forget your wallet !!

Re: Re: Help!! Which Hotel!!

by sweetiepiepie

Very funny Northsea.

I used to live in Venice and I'd feel my wallet getting lighter just walking past the place...

Northsea's right, Venice is expensive.

I'd offer suggestions on hotels but I had an appartment while I was there, so I'm not the person to ask.

Hope somebody can help you out.

by Osk

Hi there
I have actually never been to Venice but my brother has and he stayed at Hotel San Cassiano and he loved it. You have Grand Canal right outside, 5 minutes walk to the Rialta Bridge and 15 min. walk to San Marco. You should check that out: http://www.sancassiano.it/

Osk

by travelgourmet

Luxury and boutique as well. OK. Try the "Luna Hotel Baglioni" for the answer to all your requirements. San Marco Square is around the corner, bars and restaurants galore within a few canals (blocks), shopping everywhere, and the view of incoming cruise ships, and the many gondolas. Yes, as others say, get out your wallet, but that is what you want, Luxury.

Comments