Sarah Cruise

More about Venice

Watching the sunset in VeniceWatching the sunset in Venice

A Bee- near Rio Terra San LeonardoA Bee- near Rio Terra San Leonardo

VeniceVenice

Darn! I forgot my bowling ballDarn! I forgot my bowling ball

Venice to Krk ( Croatia )

by adloungani

Can anyone please let me know what would be the best way to get from Venice International Airport to Rijeka/Krk ( Croatia ) and what would be approxiamate costs and duration of the trip. I plan to travel end July to early August.

Thanks!!!

Re: Venice to Krk ( Croatia )

by leics

The best way would be to fly, but I can't find any carriers from Venice Marco Polo or Treviso on www.whichbudget.com

You could look at www.skyscanner.net or www.harefares.com There may be carriers from, for example, Bergamo (not too far away by train).

Otherwise you can take a ferry to Croatia:

will give you times and fares.

You could take a train, of course, but it would be a lengthy journey:

lists the vast majority of European train times and details in English. Venice (Venise) to Rijeka takes 7+ hours, with several changes. There is an overnight train with just one change.

Travel Tips for Venice

basilica san marco

by lostaussie

about the only place in town where the wildlife matches the tourists for numbers. it can be quite amusing to observe people feeding the pigeons and then trying to walk away whilst being mobbed by them.

Molo

by DEBBBEDB

The Molo is the area of St. Mark's Square that is on the Grand Canal. It is the traditional "Front Door" to Venice (molo really means 'jetty'), and is a hive of activity.

It is marked by two massive granite columns brought from the Orient in the 12th century. There were actually three of these columns originally, but one of them fell into the water and sank. I found it particularly satisfying to take photos of these columns. One of them is topped by the winged lion of St. Mark that has a book between his paws. The lion was originally gilded and may have been intended to be a griffen. The other has St. Theodore, Venice’s first patron saint (until he was replaced by St. Mark), who looks like he is standing on an alligator or a crocodile. The statue's head belongs to a Roman Emperor and the rest, including the "dragon", to an early St George.

SAN MARCO
This is undoubtely...

by SirRichard

SAN MARCO
This is undoubtely the main highlight of any visit to Venice. Normally overcrowded, I enjoyed at its best one morning in my first visit, as a young backpacker. We were sleeping at the floor of the Railway Station and a policeman came to wake us up at 5 in the morning!! They neede to keep the station 'clean' for the tourists of the first trains, so I just wandered around Venice till I arrived at San Marco at 6 in the morning. Empty!!! Yes, I am one of the few tourists that have seen San Marco empty.
But who is St.Mark? In the 9th century, two Venetian merchants stole St. Mark's body from Alexandria. St. Mark found a permanent resting place in the church on this site and became the patron of Venice.
Visit the Basilica and admire the exquisite mosaics adorned with gold and the Pala d'Oro altar panel, decorated with thousands of garnets, rubies, pearls and sapphires. At the porch of the church you can see the replicas of the four life-size bronze horses, brought from Constantinople in the 13th century. (The original horses are in the museum in the basilica.)
Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale) You can visit this white palace, once the center of Venetian government. The interior is magnificient, with those huge halls, but most impressive is the Scala d'Oro, the grand staircase with frescoes embellished with real gold.

Back Street Altars

by JetlagCity

You'll see little altars like this built right into the walls of some of the back streets of Venice. This one, with a statue of the Virgin Mary, was in Dorsoduro, near the Maritime Station. People put flowers or other offerings inside the bars - the devotion implied was quite striking to me, since I don't run across that often in the U.S.

Things to pack for Venice

by suvanki

I packed hand luggage only for my 4 day trip in a holdall, plus a smartish roomy handbag. Lost count of the times I was nearly knocked over by rucksack wielding tourists rushing across bridges or Piazzas, or by wheeled cases nearly removing my ankles, as their owners blithely dashed along- Can't begin to imagine how busy it is in summer! Comfortable footwear is essential- I still haven't mastered the Italian art of walking around in high heels!
In December I was glad I'd packed my winter coat, it was quite chilly out of the sun and at night. Plus the locals were usually very smartly dressed, so I didn't feel too out of place. I even got stopped and asked directions in Italian a few times!!
I've just seen an article saying that etiquette wardens are going to patrol St Marks square this summer to combat 'falling standards' such as walking around the city bare chested !! Compeed blister plasters came in useful!
Plenty of Pharmacies here, but carry your essential medications.
'forget' your perfume/ soap etc. and re-stock with Italian fragrances!!!
'Resolve' or other hangover 'remedies' in case of a few too many Bellinis I'm still not digital- Though Venice has proved that perhaps I should convert!!
It's cheaper to buy film in UK or USA, I paid 5 and 6 euros for 36 exp films - thought I'd brought enough-Hmmm, no I'd used all of my stock on my 2nd day! UPDATE- I'm now digital! So, I now know to recommend plenty of memory cards, spare battery and charger Sunglasses/lip salve-even in Winter
Credit Card etc- Venice isn't always cheap, and there's plenty to buy!
Bubble wrap for those delicate souvenirs, bottles of Prosecco etc.
Binoculars- for viewing Venice from high above etc.
Wet wipes/tissues for before and after eating those delicious ice creams 'on the move'

Comments