Spagna Hotel

Cannaregio 184, Venice, 30121, Italy
Orbitz.com CheapTickets.com

More about Venice

View of Venice on our way to LidoView of Venice on our way to Lido

A lovely surpriseA lovely surprise

Waiting for our water taxi to Marco Polo AirportWaiting for our water taxi to Marco Polo Airport

a bench of emotive poetrya bench of emotive poetry

Museums and Chruch schedule on July Venice and Florence

by magictravelers

Hello everyone. My friends asked me a question I could not awnser, cause we went to Venice on a weekened. And Florence was too lonng ago.

She is going with her Art loving husband to both Venice and Florence from 18-25 th of July. They would like to know what is closed on Mondays if anything, since in most cities museums close on Mondays. With this info they can work their travel calendar from Venice to Florence much better. When we went to Florence (don´t remember month), we went to see Michael Angelo and we were not allowed to enter on a Sunday at 1:00pm or so. But I don´t remember if they openned later or not.

So, if you can give me a general idea of open times for Museums and Chrurches on these bussy days of July, I can help Nina with her trip planning to Venice and Florence.

Thanks

by bekerovka

Hy,
here you can found opening days and hours for museum and monuments in Florence:http://www.firenzemusei.it/index.html and http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english/orari/orari.asp?. You can book tickets.
Venice museums: http://www.museiciviciveneziani.it/frame.asp?sezione=orari-indirizzi
Basilica di San Marco: Basilica: 9.45 - 17.00 - Sunday and holidays: 14.00- 17.00
St. Mark's Museum: 9.45- 16.45
November - March/April (Easter): 9.30-15.45
March/April (Easter)-June: 9.00-19.00
July - September: 9.00-21.00
Peggy Guggenheim Collection: close on tuesday. Open10.00-18.00
I don't know how many museums and monuments I forgot but I hope this can help you.
Ciao, Marco

by hawkhead

www.italyheaven.co.uk also lists the opening hours. However, don't take the hours as written in concrete!! We were in Venice for five weeks over January/February and I don't remember anything being listed as being closed on Mondays summer or winter - HOWEVER, Accademia and Ca'Do'Oro are open Monday mornings until 14.00 ONLY..... Ducal Palace is open every day, Museo Correr, Ca'Rezzonico, Scuola Grande di San Rocco also. Churches are open all days but usually closed on Sunday except for services, although S M Gloriosa dei Frari is open Sunday afternoon. Ah, Ca'Pessaro is closed on Monday! As is Fond. Querini Stampalia.
Your friends might do well to invest in a Chorus Pass - cost is €9 for sixteen churches. As each church costs €3 they will soon recoup the cost of the pass.
Another tip is to try and time their visit to St Mark's for just after a service. Then they will see the interior with the lights on and the mosaics will look spectacular. We visited St Mark's about five times and on only one occasion were the lights on and this was just after a service. And remember to look at the floor as well!

Peggy is closed on Tuesdays

by hawkhead

Oh yes, and invest is a good map of Venice. I recommend the Rough Guide one - it is virtually indestructible! We used ours for five weeks and it was bent all ways, twisted, soaked, used as a food mat and generally mutilated and still looks almost brand-new!

Travel Tips for Venice

Real Beauty

by Half_Full

Make sure to look around the corner. After you have DONE the museums and galleries, take the time to see the Venusians. I remember young men pushing carts full of produce, gondoliers yelling left or right as they approached a canal intersection, flower boxes in full bloom being cared for by a young woman, ... My best memories were of a random stroll through the less traveled streets enjoying the architecture, canals, cobbeled streets and bridges. With no predetermined destination you will see more of Venice than the guide books portray. Take a map of Venice with you, but only use it when you want to find your way back to your hotel.

See 'The Bridge Of Sighs'...

by steventilly

See 'The Bridge Of Sighs'

Supposedly named after the sighs of the prisoners who were led across this bridge from the cells of the Palace to their place of execution!

Grim past, loveley bridge.

A RIDE IN GONDOLA
Ok, is a too...

by SirRichard

A RIDE IN GONDOLA
Ok, is a too touristis atraction, but what's Venice without gondolas? You can do it from 1/2 hour to the whole day. You can even bargain with the gondoliero, but the prices are high and there are queues for a ride! It will cost you no less than 80.000 lire/hour (prices of 2000). Tell the driver to go through the quieter little channels, in Grand Canal is not so romantc.

The carnival in Venice.

by Maurizioago

It is said that its origin comes from a victory of Venice in the war against Ulric; Patriarca of Aquileia, in the year 1162.

At Carnival time there are many people of all ages wearing masks. In the city you can enjoy several street performances; parades, and other attractions.

An Excellent Map

by calcaf38

A map is indispensable in Venice since the canals and the alleys combine into mazes. Everywhere, you see visitors - and locals - poring over maps. The sun and your natural compass don't help, as you tend to get confused in dark corners.

My family and I were carrying all sorts of maps. It became clear quickly that mine, the Waterproof Venice Map by Rough Guide Maps, was the best. It was the most accurate, the easiest to read, and the most resistant. I'm not usually very sentimental about maps, but this is truly perfection on (recycled and biodegradable) paper.

On the day of my departure, I needed to walk to the bus station at Piazzale Roma at 5:00 a.m. I used my map to draw myself schematic directions, and I am glad I did. Even with a practice run the day before under my belt, it was confusing.

Comments