Terramare Hotel Venice

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 39% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Venice

Vanni Chats With BarbaraVanni Chats With Barbara

The palace's old columns in the Museo dell'OperaThe palace's old columns in the Museo dell'Opera

Water taxi office at airport.Water taxi office at airport.

The Grand Canal by nightThe Grand Canal by night

Helo - Marco Polo airport to train station - best way??/

by KRB123

Hi there,

Arriving into Marco Polo tomorrow morning and need to get to Vittorio Veneto. Gather I can train from the station to Vittorio Veneto but, I'm wondering what the best way is to get from Marco Polo to the station - is it a bus??

Thanks a heap!

by leics

Easy.

You could take the excellent bus from directly outside Arrivals (ticket machine inside and at the bus stop) which will take you directly to Piazzale Roma, next door to Venice Santa Lucia.

But it will be easier to get the bus to Mestre (on the mainland) and catch the train from there.

Airport bus info in English here:

Train times, details, fares in English here:

Journey time is around an hour and a quarter, most trains are direct, one-way fare 4.60 euro.

by rocee

I am thinking you have not been to Venice previously. Will you have some time to spend there after Vittorio Veneto? If the answer is "No" then I would disagree with Leics (who does always gives good information) on this one. I would suggest you take the ATVO bus about 20 minutes/non-stop/with a luggage compartment/3 Euro to Piazzle Roma in Venice rather than a bus to Mestre for the train, just so you can at least get a glimpse of this beautiful city!

by leics

Not much of a glimpse from P Roma though!

It would be much better if the poster can spend a few hours wandering the city between bus and train. There is a left luggage facility at Venice Santa Lucia station.

:-)

by rocee

RIght but probably at least a decent view from the new bridge

Travel Tips for Venice

A Good Map

by Albernfrau

From amazon.com we ordered the Rough Guide Map of "Venice" and we were glad we did. It was a fabulous map and sure helped us navigate the maze that is Venice. This map had received really great maps on Amazon.com and I understand why.

Must walk around the city,...

by matita

Must walk around the city, forgetting all about the guides and everything...
You must get lost in the centennial streets, and walk your way out... The romantic side of the city. I have been there in my engagement trip.
So it is doubly romantic for me.

Take a Gondole ride, or at...

by barcodex

Take a Gondole ride, or at least look at them slowly moving on channels (well, price of such a walk is not so small). Of course, Gondole is the visit card of Venice, and Gondoliers are great professionals. Gondoles are long, black and decored with red velvet, that makes them looking a little bit like coffins ;) It is said, that used gondole costs as much as new Mercedes Benz, so gondolier's business requires big investments...

How do we behave in (Italian) churches ?

by Trekki

I was thinking back and forth if I should write about this, but have decided to do so, as maybe the one or the other visitor from google’s machines might end here and I still don’t give up the hope that the Eurodisney visitor does have one brain cell left that allows him/her to see things different and maybe change their strange behaviour.
I am not a attending church services at home, as (as a good friend has put it recently), maybe god’s ground personnel, I have experienced was not that good. But here in Italy, well, Venezia, all was different, and I really felt the spirit of something I could not explain. That’s why I got very much annoyed about the behaviour of some tourists in the churches, and given the religiousness of the Italians, they must have even been more disturbed by the invaders into their places of worship.
So let me start my ranting: no one is interested of what is customs in our home countries. This is Italy and here we are guests. Italians are very much religious and that means we have to shut up and don’t babble in the churches. No one wants to hear our opinion shrieked out loud. If we want to do it or want to aah-ing and ooh-ing, we should get out of the churches, where we can shriek and talk as much and as loud as we want. No one will mind. But not in the churches.
I was really pi**ed when hearing so many of these = us tourists babbling in the churches all time long. Some even behaved quite rude to the employees who kindly asked them to slow down in voice. These are the times when I am very much ashamed to be a tourist. Another thing is the dress code. It might look cute where we live back home to hop around in oversized shorts and open shirt to show off the hair (oh my am I bad) or in skirts that short they allow to see the necks. But it is the most inappropriate when visiting an Italian church. Well, this is inappropriate in any church or place of worship on our planet. So plan to pack clothes which are appropriate to visit churches: cover arms and legs and show as less flesh as possible (we can show our flesh in the nightclubs, haha).
Also, tombs in the churches are often in the floors (well, below the floors of course, but the tombstone is laid in the floor). It should be pretty much obvious that these stones are tombstones and no decoration. And it is not only very much inappropriate to trample over these tombstones, but also a form of desecration. How would we feel if herds of people would trample over the graves of our beloved ???
Oh, and in case, atheists read this here – they are welcome to visit the churches as well. But they should keep in mind to leave their aggressive or non-tolerating attitude to church and religion in front of the doors while visiting. Or simply refrain from going inside.

Tal's custom with policeman and Asli

by Martin_S.

I think you may have noticed if you have been following many of our family travels that where ever we end up, Tal finds a policeman or policewoman to have a photo with.
Here in Venice she took her pic with a Carabinieri (policeman) and we got Asli to go along with her. The girls look well protected by this guy. I wonder what he was thinking about us weird tourists ^O^.. If you happen to know this guy, please show him his picture and say thanks.

Comments