The Westin Europa And Regina

Venere.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• krisnakrisna's Profile Photo

Westin Europa and Regina's Picturesque Escape

Unique Quality: An architectural landmark on the Grand Canal, just steps from Piazza San Marco, The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice offers an ideal combination of traditional elegance and modern technology.

New rooms in the magnificently restored, centuries-old hotel feature the same Grand Canal views that inspired Monet, who painted the city while visiting.

Chefs are ready to prepare savory regional dishes in the show kitchen at La Cusina. The salon atmosphere of Bar Tiepolo is ideal for tea or cocktails.

During the summer season, the famous private beaches of the Lido - along with tennis, golf and boating at the hotel's sister properties - are just a complimentary boat ride away.

Visit and see for yourself why our lovely hotel was recently named to Condé Nast

Hotel services include a concierge, dry cleaning and laundry, night turndown and 24-hour room service. Guests are welcome to take a complimentary boat to the hotel's sister properties to use the fitness center and swimming pool. Tennis, golf, and water sports are nearby as well.

(Property Information by Travelocity)

Room Amenities

* Air Conditioning (In Room)
    * Newspaper (Free)

* Dry Cleaning
    * Luxury

Policies Check-in time - 2:00pm
    Check-out time - 12:00pm

Directions: Located on the Grand Canal just steps from St. Mark's Square, the centuries-old, 5-building, 185-room Westin Europa and Regina.

• seansf's Profile Photo

Great Venice Hotel

I was fortunate to have a deluxe room facing the Grand Canal. Beautiful, large room furnished in Venitian style. Very elegant. Bathroom was huge with separate bath and shower. My stay at this hotel could not have been better. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Very good location on Grand Canal very close to St. Marks.

Unique Quality: Location, room was fantastic

Directions: San Marco area

More about The Westin Europa And Regina

Elegant design and perfect Location

by jetwind about Sheraton Des Bains

The Sheraton Des Bains is ideally located on the Lido and is just a 5 minute stroll from the jetty where the airport shuttle arrives and departs as well as the water buses that cross between saint marks square and the Lido.
This is an elegant property that overlooks the beach to oneside of the property and gorgeous gardens to the other.
The ornate reception is the first thing that strikes you about this hotel with its polished wooden floors, scatter rugs and polished brass you feel that your going back in time to the roaring twenties.
The rooms follow the same theme as the lobby; they are spacious with a separate sitting area from the bedroom. The bathrooms follow art décor theme creating the perfect base for a romantic stay. My room also had a view of seafront which was an added bonus.
Breakfast is served in the Liberty Restaurant and is buffet style; again the Restaurant follows the same elegant design as the rest of the hotel. When it comes to dining you are not tied to dining just in their restaurants, but can choose to eat in any other Sheraton’s in Venice such as the Hotel Danieli, The Westin Europa & Regina, Hotel Gritti Palace and The Westin Excelsior using their Sheraton club programme.
The hotel also has an outdoor swimming pool, a free shuttle service to downtown and free connection to other Sheraton’s via the hotel’s own private motor launch. The hotel is meant to be haunted and you can hear creaks in the middle of night, during my stay this had added effect as there was a thunder storm causing the hairs on the back of my neck to stand on end. (Spooky)
The gardens of the hotel where also used in the movie “The English Patient”
The gardens doubled as the British Colonial club in Cairo.

Luxe Hotels in former Palaces.

by breughel

The Grand Canal counts a number of palaces which belong to the 5* Luxe hotels.
On the left bank one finds the Gritti palace at the S.Maria del Giglio vaporetto stop, the Europa e Regina facing the Salute, the Bauer facing the Dogana to end with the most known Danieli on the basin of San Marco.

The most sumptuous from the exterior is the Palazzo Gritti from the 16th c (photo 1). I dreamed of staying in this Palazzo hotel until I read the comments on Trip Advisor:
141 comments of which 10 "terrible", 21 "poor", 18 "average", 25 "very good" and 66 "excellent".
I felt from my chair. How is it possible that a prestigious hotel like the Gritti gets 22% bad critics when guests pay between 500 and 900 €/night and only 62% of the guests recommend this hotel!

The Westin Europa & Regina (photo 2) gets a better score: on 420 comments are 20 "terrible", 34 "poor" that is 13% bad critics and 79% recommend. Prices are somewhat lower from 400 till 800 €/night.

Palazzo Bauer (photo 3) gets the best score from these 4 Luxe Palace hotels: on 359 comments 12 are "terrible", 19 "poor" that is 9% bad critics; 86% recommend. Prices between 500 and 1000 € (this is for the Palazzo on the Grand Canal, there are lower prices for the building in the back called Bauer hotel).

These 3 palace hotels have private terraces with restaurants directly on the Grand Canal and their own embarcadero for the water taxis.

For the most famous Danieli on 383 critics 29 are "terrible", 34 "poor" that is a total of 16% bad critics; 73% recommend. Price between 400 and 700€/night. As you can see from my photo the hotel occupies 3 buildings (photo 4). The ochre one in the middle has the monumental hall and staircase. The Danieli has no terrace on the water but on the roof. The entrance is on the very crowded quay with souvenir shops for tourists (photo 5).

The prices I mention are from Expedia, Westin and Bauer for the period of May 2011.
The lowest are for standard rooms (no view) the higher ones for de luxe rooms but not necessarily with a Canal or Lagoon view. The rooms with good views are generally suites with prices between 1000 and 2000 €/night.

What I find terrible is that 5* Luxe hotels in Venice are unable to obtain a minimum of 95% satisfaction from customers who pay such high prices. What is even more terrible when you read the critics of their guests are the many complaints about bad service!

loved the Europa and Regina

by TripAdvisor Member boutiquetogo

We just returned from Venice Italy. We enjoyed our 2 night stay ay the Westin Europa and Regina. The hotel is located on the Grand Canal and is a short walk from St Mark's Square. Location in a hotel is important to us. We did not have a room with a view, but our accomodations were spacious, clean and elegant. Prices in Italy are exorbitant right now because of the Euro. So expect "sticker shock" everywhere you go. Almost all breakfast buffets in the hotels were at least 40 euros. But having breakfast on the Grand Canal watching the gondolas pass by was exhilarating and a dream come true. The front desk staff was courteous and helpful with meal suggestions. We had a great time!!

Appalled

I am currently planning my honeymoon in Venice. For various reasons, I made a reservation at the Europa & Regina and used points for two of the 5 nights.

After making the reservation, I found a few web sites with hotel reviews, such as Fodors.com and TripAdvisor.com. The vast majority of the reviews for Europa & Regina on these web-sites were negative; some very strong negative reviews. For a 4-5 star hotel, so many negative reviews seemed odd.

I called Starwood with the intent to learn why I should keep my reservation. They suggested that I contact the hotel manager.

I spoke with the Reception Manager and explained that I am planning a honeymoon, want the experience to be wonderful, and am concerned about the many negative reviews. His response convinced me that the reviews have some, if not a lot, of merit.

He told me that the reviews were probably right, second, the room I booked was the least expensive category of room so it will not be nice, and third, the most he can do for me is cancel my reservation.

I was appalled. I called Starwood again and they transfered me to corporate customer service. They were also appalled and sent a formal complaint to the hotel manager. I indicated to customer service that I will cancel my reservation in two days if the hotel manager does not respond convincingly and quickly.

Absent of a minor miracle from the hotel manager, or overwhelmingly convincing arguments from readers of this message, I will cancel my reservation in two days.

Anyone have any similar or other experiences at the Europa & Regina in Venice?

What a Difference a Year Makes - NOT!

by TripAdvisor Member Peripatetic_Engineer

I see that nothing has changed at this hotel. I was overcharged last summer for breakfast that should have been included in the room price. My complaint to Starwood HQ was forwarded to the hotel manager who sent me an unsatisfactory and somewhat rude reply. I went back and forth between Starwod HQ and the hotel manager. I had to threaten to call in the New York Consumer Protection Agency and charge them with a bait and switch before I received a credit.

Nice stay but not sure about the value

by TripAdvisor Member talkingstick

We stayed for 3 nights in September 2004.

The hotel is a fabulous example of an older style hotel (unlike the more modern 5 star hotel next door -- the Hotel Bauer).

The staff was generally helpful but it depended on who you were dealing with. The view from the bar/lounge was delightful. The room was very spacious and nicely decorated.

In general a good stay but in visiting some of the comparable adjacent hotels...the value at this Westin is dubious.

Very good hotel let down by front desk attitude

by TripAdvisor Member Alex-Hamilton

We have stayed and the Europa and Regina four years in a row. It is a very good hotel and - although expensive - not bad value for one of the very best locations in Venice. The rooms are often spacious and always comfortable and well furnished. Like several other reviewers, my only complaint - and it is a serious one - is about the tired, indifferent attitude of several people on the front desk. It takes the edge off what would otherwise be an exceptional experience. Starwood should grip this situation, rather than ignore it.

Monaco Grand Canal vs. Westin Europa & Regina

by ffonger

We have cancelled our reservation at Danieli. We have made reservations at two places and need to cancel one. Please let me know if anyone out there has an opinion as to one of these places. The rates both come with breakfast and tax and are within a couple dollars of each other. We just want to stay at the nicest accommodation, cleanliness being tops, good restaurants and close proxity to the grand canal. Thanks for any help! Fran

RE: Monaco Grand Canal vs. Westin Europa & Regina

by cb2737

I am sure you already know this, but if you go to the Sheraton website www.spg.com you can see a virtual tour of the Westin Europa & Regina. I will be staying there too in the near future, and it looks delightful, although I believe it is one tiny notch down from the Danieli. I don't know anything about the other hotel. I sure either is wonderful.

Comments