Cannaregio Lista di Spagna 121, Venice, Veneto, 30121, Italy

Venere.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 21% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Paolomusc's Profile Photo

Never again unless its out of school visits

The hotel itself is perfectly located and the rooms. although small and basic, were clean and comfortable, as befits a budget type of hotel near a railway station. The Breakfast was super with self service, all you can eat.

The problem lies in the fact that there are 60 rooms, and if each were a twin then that means 120 (with me so far?) The dining room holds between 50 to 60 people at a time. This would not have been a problem as most people come down at varying times, BUT no one told us that the hotel also accepts HUGE school groups packed into 4 to 5 bed rooms and they ALL come down for breakfast at the same time, so the wait is horrendous. If this was not bad enough, the 'wonderful' little children would run around the hotel corridors thumping their feet up and down the stairs and screaming and giggling into the small hours of each morning. Now, I am not a prude and when on holiday do not feel the need to be in bed by any specific time, but did feel that the escorting teachers should have made certain that the youngsters were settled down a lot earlier that 1 - 2 am and did not cause problems for other guests. The teachers, however were snuggly asleep in bed while all this is happening.

Its a great pity as the hotel is superb for a budget visit to a beautiful, romantic city, but I would recommend that before booking here, you check with the hotel whether they have or intend to have any school groups there during your planned stay.

Unique Quality: Location, price and breakfast

Directions: From rail station, turn left and walk up street. Hotel is on left. From Airport. take Alilaguna boat to Guglie stop and then walk over bridge along street. Hotel is on your right.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Perfectly located

I wanted a cheap *** hotel close to the train and bus stations, and booked this one.

The location is perfect with a short walk (with bags, remember) from bus or train.

The facade frightened me: it was one of the ugliest and more degraded buildings in the street.

Inside things have changed: its an old building, and we can feel it everywhere, but it has been prepared to work. A small room with a fully functional bathroom, no elevator, basic breakfast.

It would be better rated as two stars, but we have paid according to the lower standard.
    It is at the end of one of the busiest streets of Venice, which means that you have all close to you.

Unique Quality: Location
    Price

• gilescorey's Profile Photo

"Don't mind the ghosts, enjoy your breakfast!"

Hotel Universo & Nord was our second and final lodging during the visit to Venice. After a noisy night at The Aloggi Alli Artisti(see tips), we trucked our luggage up the block and took a slightly more expensive room at the Nord.

We stayed in two rooms; the first being swamped with mold, and the second at the end of a such a circuitous route, we would've been wise to leave a trail of breadcrumbs - crostini, perhaps, as this is Venice.

The hotel has the air of a dormitory in some aging Eastern university. The rooms were passable. Air conditioned, tidy and cable-equipped. I would argue that the Aloggi was a better value, but, the Universo & Nord does have thicker walls - and a charming dining room; that served a breakfast superior to any other hotel's during our European visit. You can weigh the more modern rooms at the Aloggi vs. the dining room at the Nord.

There was one other unique aspect of the Nord: Haunted. Waaaaay haunted. Our two nights there were hair-raising, to say the least. I won't get into details, but let me say, I live in a 100 yr. old Los Angeles apartment that saw a violent murder just before I moved in - blood still soaked my floorboards. And...no problems. So, you see, I'm not one prone to mysticism. But, the Universo has uninvited guests who visited BOTH our rooms. It was a wholly friendly encounter, but a bit "too friendly". If you are curious about the spirit world, I highly recommend a stay in this hotel.

Oh, and the staff was quite friendly as well. Ha ha.

Unique Quality: Interesting original art littered throughout the building, lovely morning dining service, and ghosts - all at a reasonable price.

Directions: Just North of Ferrovia, on the main drag, on the left.

More about Universo Nord Hotel

FROM THE SHIP TO HOTEL

by maizie58

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this. I am just getting into the world of travel (a late start) went to portugal last year and this year for the first time a cruise. We leave from Venice but when we get back we are on our own (husband and I) to get to the hotel since we are staying a day to see a little of Venice.
We are staying at the Universo Nord hotel and i have researched on the Internet and it sounds confusing... My husband is 63 so I would like to know ahead of time to make it as simple as possible.
If anyone can suggest a means it would be appreciated.

Re: FROM THE SHIP TO HOTEL

by beehive273

Looking at the location of your hotel on Google it looks as if it is pretty close to the Maritime Station where the cruise ships dock. I think you should contact your hotel ahead of time and ask which vaporetto stop it is located near and what number vapoetto you should take.Then you can walk from the ship with your luggage to the vaporetto stop near the Maritime Station,purchase your tickets at that station and wait for the number of your vaporetto to arrive. After you board, ask the attendant which stop to get off at for your hotel. This is the slowest and the least expensive way to get there. Taking a water taxi is the quickest and most expensive. Hopefully since you are leaving from Venice you might have the opportunity to scope out your game plan before the cruise leaves from there if you have time. Enjoy your trip and your adventure in Venice; it is our favorite place in the world! (BTW, we are in our 60's too!) Hope this info helps.

Re: FROM THE SHIP TO HOTEL

by maizie58

Hello there and thank you for your help. I did email the hotel about directions but havent heard back but thank you for the information regarding vaporetto's.
I have research to do before we go....
Thanks a lot
You love Venice ? Concentrating on getting there after the ship and then figuring out how to get to the airport the next day.

Comments