Vecellio Hotel Venice

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 23% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Vecellio Hotel Venice

A great little hotel

We stayed at the Hotel Vecellio for 5 nights in May for our first wedding anniversary. It is situted on the very north of the Venice which was excellent for catching the water taxi's to and from the airport as the taxi stop was only about 50yards from the hotel itself. It certainly beat having to walk the streets of Venice having to find your hotel. If it is your first visit (as it was for us), Venice is very disorientating with all the small streets and many canals, and very easy to get lost for the first few days! Also the hotel was away from the main hustle and bustle of the centre of Venice which was nice.

All the staff were very warm and friendly and the rooms were very clean. Matteo was especially kind and helpful and advised us on a few places to visit and also talked us out of going to some other places that we thought we might visit (Mestre).

The hotel is only small but we felt this added to the warmth and friendliness of it all, it felt more personal and nothing was too much trouble.

We definitely hope to revisit Venice again and won't hesitate to make our booking at the Vecellio.

An excellent place, can't boast about it enough!

Matteo the Magnificent

by TripAdvisor Member ljk/elb

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights at the Hotel Vecellio in May. I promised Matteo I would tell everyone would handsome he is :-). We had a wonderful time in Venice, thanks in large part to Matteo. He worked hard to make our room, the food, the city, and the people, enjoyable. Our room was lovely, even with a three-year-old staying in another room on our floor. For one of the most convenient locations and one of the friendiest hosts in Venice, I recommend the Hotel Vecelio. (This review is NOT from Matteo, cross my heart.)

Great surprise

by TripAdvisor Member TheMcColes

We visited Italy in early May. The couple we travelled with set a very low limit on hotel costs, so after checking TripAdvisor, I selected Hotel Vecellio. For the price and size, I expected marginally acceptable accommodations. What a surprise! Hotel Vecellio is a gem. The location is perfect -- far enough from the tourist crowds, but close enough to walk to the major sights in about 15 minutes and literally just steps away from the water bus. The hardwood and marble floors shine and the rooms are spotless. Our friends' room overlooked the water and they were delighted with the fantastic view. Our room was on a side street and very quiet. We slept with the window open at night and found this quite pleasant. Despite the fact that the hall floors have no carpet, we did not hear any noise from other guests. Our room was compact (we marveled at how the space and furniture was configured for ultimate practical use) and average size for a European hotel. Of course, the bathroom was small, but my husband is over 6' tall and thought the shower was great. But the jewel in the crown is Matteo. As others have mentioned, he greatly enhances your visit to Venice. He was charming, friendly and helpful. He talked to us as if we were old friends and made us feel welcome in his city and hotel. He recommended non-touristy restaurants we would never have found on our own. And best of all, he makes the greatest cup of coffee ever. Breakfast is the typical continental but Matteo brings you your coffee and heated milk immediately -- no waiting around when you need that first jolt in the morning. At first I thought the small size of the dining area would be a problem, but it turned out to be a positive. You sit so close to the other people that you naturally converse with them and we enjoyed meeting the other guests which we would not have done otherwise. I highly recommend Hotel Vecellio and will stay there again when we return to Venice.

nice suprise

by TripAdvisor Member Andy97239

Just got back from our trip to Europe and while in Venice we stayed at Hotel Vecellio. Having been in Venice before, in different hotel, and many others throughout Europe I have to say that Vecellio was a nice surprise. Conveniently located just in front of Fondamenta Nuove water bus station this hotel is a true 3 stars per Venice’s standards. Recently remodeled, very clean, spacious enough, quiet, hot water 24/7, working AC and with a nice European breakfast personally prepared every morning by the friendliest hotel manager you’ll ever find in Venice – Matteo. With people traveling from all over the world and a mixture of cultures and backgrounds it would be practically impossible to make everyone happy. In my book Matteo is a great host doing a fine job managing a nice hotel in a terrific city. We would definitively use this hotel in the future and we would recommend it to anyone who understands the meaning of Venetian 3 stars hotel. Thank you Matteo!!!

The greatest small place on earth

by TripAdvisor Member BellaBelgica

We just got home from our trip through Italy and we want to share with all of you our truly pleasant experience in Hotel Vecellio. First we were worrying on finding the hotel in the small streets in Venice, but to our pleasant surprise, we only had to take three steps after getting of the vaporettostation Fondamenta Nove!! This really is a very important word of advise: If you arrive by train or by airplane take vaporetto 42 or 52 (at the trainstation) or the Alilaguna (from the airport) and get off at vaporettostop Fondamenta Nove. You find yourself practically in the hotel lobby then :) . And then of course, there is Matteo! This sweety pie has been so helpful and enjoyable and he made our stay even more fantastic. Hotel room was very clean, completely renovated and had the nicest bathroom we encountered on our trip. To make it short: don't doubt on booking this hotel, it is really worth it and you will enjoy your stay in venice even more. Venice is rather expensive, but this hotel is probably the best value for money you can get. We strongly recommend this hotel to everyone.

PS: Matteo, if you read this.. we will be back! ;)

Loved this hotel!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Hollidayo

I stayed at this beautiful boutique hotel (8 rooms) on the Fondamenta Nuove in the Cannaregio neighborhood of Venice for 6 nights in May and loved it! It's right on the water and newly remodeled with a lovely marble & wood lobby. A continental breakfast was included with the price of the room, which was gorgeous with a queen bed, TV, phone, private bathroom and a lovely view of the lagoon.

The hotel's location is in a primarily residential area on the side of the island near Murano, but I loved this (I don't like staying in touristy zones if I can help it) and it couldn't be more convenient to the vaporetto (water bus) as the stop is right outside the front door. There's also a great bar/restaurant called Algiubagio right next door if you don't feel like going too far - I took advantage of this a couple of nights :)

Probably the best thing about the hotel is the proprietor/manager Matteo who couldn't have been nicer or more helpful in suggesting where to go or what to do. I can't say enough nice things about this place - I was very pleasantly surprised for the reasonable price. It's a real gem in Venice!

A little Gem

by TripAdvisor Member taffers99

What a great hotel. We stayed 5 nights in June on our honeymoon and had a wonderful time. We've travelled the length of Italy staying in similarly starred hotels and this is unquestionably the best we have found.

Other reviews here have got it spot on. Matteo is the perfect host, the coffee is outstanding and his advice is great. We tried 3 restaurants he suggested and he was right every time! He might be hard to find when Italy are playing football though and remember to ask him how long it takes to clean the glass in reception!

The location is ideal. Yes it's in a residential area but if you fly into Marco Polo airport, then the waterbus takes you straight to the door for 6 euros - a real bonus for a Venetian hotel! All the sights are easily walkable in less than 15 mins or via that waterbus stop outside the door and it's lovely to leave behind the 'tourists' at the end of the day. There are 3 or 4 restaurants & cafe's within a minute of the door if you don't want to venture far at night.

The hotel has been renovated in the last few years and they have taken care to keep the features of the house it used to be and have decorated thoughtfully. It is modern where it needs to be AC, TV & phone but with marble stairs, wooden floors and exposed beams and it was spotlessly clean. The double glazing works a treat. Right by a busy waterbus stop and never heard a thing.

Thanks again Matteo - we'll be back. (was that OK?)

went there for a special birthday on june 15th

by TripAdvisor Member lesleyDartfordKentUK

My partener booked a surprise trip for me to venice to celebrate my 50th birthday. When we arrived Matto wished me a happy birthday after checking our passports. My partener asked his advice on a restaurant for my birthday dinner he suggested a local one that he eats in. It was very good. In fact everything about the hotel was great, it locallity to the water buses and how easy it is to walk into the center of venice to see the sights.
I would definatly book this hotel again and I shall recommend it to any one I know who is planning a trip to venice. Thanks Matto for a lovley stay on my Birthday.

great location

by TripAdvisor Member czaricza

The best thing about this hotel is its location. you can take a vaporetto from the thain station or from the airport and it is right there at the vaporetto stop. with all the little bridges where you have to take several steps up and then several down, venice is not very roller bag friendly and you can see a number of tourist suffer to make their way to their hotels. you avoid this problem with vecellio. the owner Matteo is very friendly and willing to help. the breakfast had a rather limited selection. the rooms are spacious, but there was a certain "wet" smell, which maybe is characteristic of venice. because of the built in switch the airconditioner works only when you are in the room, which could be a problem if it is very hot outside.
the surrounding part of venice - canareggio is a great region to explore - not too many tourists venture there and it is very atmospheric with several beatiful churches with tintoretto's works. ask matteo for advice.

Bad location, old hotel room

by TripAdvisor Member AngelTeaR

I am not impressed by this hotel. I had to take bus 42,52 to this hotel which took around 30 mins (7 stops) to get there. The hotel is just besides the bus stop. The room is old and dusty. Very old fashion which I m not preferring this.

Statue located in front of the Procuratie NuoveStatue located in front of the Procuratie Nuove

Piazza San Marco summer 2010Piazza San Marco summer 2010

The BasilicaThe Basilica

Venetian Gothic PortalVenetian Gothic Portal

Hardware shops

by hawkhead

We would like to purchase bath/shower taps, and basin taps and kitchen taps when we are in Venice in January. Can any Venice resident direct me towards a shop that would sell these? I am looking for a place that would have not only a good choice but also competitive prices. Something along the lines of B&Q in the UK. Don't expect to find such a place on the island (but you never know) but perhaps somewhere in Mestre? Don't mind a bit of a trek, as we're in Venice for over a month.

by effeti

Do you mean you want to buy the items to carry at home?

Well, those are probably things easier to find on the mainland (deliveries are cheaper and easier), and for the public in one of the brico centers, like Castorama, etc. But they are around mestre or marghera, and you'd need a car.

In Venice itself i searched the yellowpages with these results:

But not sure they may be retail sellers of what you are looking for.
Hope this helps
Ciao
Francesco

by SPW

There is a hardware shop on the Campo Margherita side of the bridge at San Barnabas; the opposite side from the water greengrocer who is the subject of everyone's photos.

I'm not sure that the fittings are particularly elegant but for practical items I think you would find this a useful store. I'm sorry but I can't remember the name, and am too lazy to consult a map at thei hour of the evening!

Cheers,
Sue

by hawkhead

Many thanks, everyone. At least the info gives us something to go on, and who knows, perhaps one negative lead will result in a direction to a positive lead!

Comments