Hotel Abacus

Hotel Abacus
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Verona

Rack of lambRack of lamb

Museo Lapidario Maffeiano in VeronaMuseo Lapidario Maffeiano in Verona

Entrance to Giardino GiustiEntrance to Giardino Giusti

the courtyardthe courtyard

Shopping in Verona

Greetings to All,

I will be travelling to Verona in a few months after a 6 year gap. I would appreciate some local knowledge to find a few great independent women's fashion boutiques that sell nice clothes and jewellery. I'm not interested in international brand shops such as Chanel or Prada on Via Mazzini. While I love these brands I'm looking for little boutiques that local women would be happy to shop at.

Any help you can give me would make my day and feet very happy.... as it would save me the leg work.

Grazie Mille.

by alza

Hi Kiahn,
Isn't Verona great for shopping?!!

I went on Corso Sant'Anastasia for Salumerìa Albertini but I found a woman's shop, a bit retro style, beautiful stuff, at Zoe.

Also on Via Mazzini, again coming out of a gastronomic produce store, I found a very cute shop, bought a couple of tops. Original and creative, I never see anything like it when I come back home.

I should say... I think Verona is great period. :)

Hope some Verona residents can give you more tips! I might drive up there myself in a couple of weeks ;)

by zacchio

I'm working here, but when some friend come to visit me and they want spend some maney, I know they go outside Verona.
Now we got some outlet worgìking quite well with a lot oc choice.
closer to Verona you can take "autobrennero" Mantova direction,exit mantova sud.
after few km you can find this one (take a look, it's in Ialian but to have an idea...)
Another option is going around Verona, places like "Lugagnano di Sona" are full
of opportunity.
here there is a big Mall named
but around the area you can find a lot of factory or outlet/shops that you can visit and enjoy.
My friend are alweys going here to buy a lot of good clothes.
Ciao!

by kiahnshar

Thank you so much Alza and Zacchio for your swift replies and contributing information. I appreciate it very much. It's always great to have some local knowledge to help people make the most of their time.

I can't wait to get back to Italy. It's in my blood and I'm from the other end of the planet!!!!!

Counting the days!!!!!

Take care and all the best

by kiahnshar

Thanks Zacchio, I'm new to this site and just posted a reply to the other friendly person who was kind enough to reply. I included your name in her reply and not sure how it works but thought I'd send an individual thank you to you in case you don't get to view it for some reason.

Thanks again for your input.

All the best and have a great day. Love the bike, is it a Ducati??

by zacchio

no problem
any question I'll be here.
The picture's bike is a Sportset HD hired in Cape town some years ago,
I'm an HD addicted but I like any kind of motorBike.
See you here soon!

Travel Tips for Verona

La Traviata

by barryg23

The highlight of our stay in Verona was seeing La Traviata at the Roman Arena. Verona's opera festival runs for most of the summer, with performances almost every night and the Forum, with its excellent acoustics, is a perfect venue. It was quite an experience to be there as darkness fell, as the music began, and as the candles were lit. This tradition of each spectator ligthing a candle dates back to 1913, when opera was first performed here and in order to illuminate the stage and to read the programmes, the audience brought small candles with them.

All was going great - but then the rain came! Halfway through the first act the first drops started to fall, members of the orchestra then walked off the stage and we were left waiting in frustration. We had a half-hour wait until it cleared, then another rain-delay followed the briefest of restarts. Luckily we had brought two bottles of wine and plenty of munchies. Finally, the bad weather passed and the opera continued. Despite the delays, we had a memorable evening and I would recommend this festival to anyone who visits Verona in the summer months.

Piazza Brà

by Azhut

Piazza Brà represents the first step to visit Verona. Very easy to find a parking place there; in fact cars tend to park around there. The piazza is home to the Palazzo della Gran Guardia, and the Gran Guardia Nuova, from there you can head towards the embankment of the Adige and reach Corso Cavour. Two of the most important Veronese monuments are located here: Sanmicheli's Palazzo Canossa, and the Romanesque church of S. Lorenzo and the Palazzo Bevilacqua, (an unfinished masterpiece by Sanmicheliano). At the end of Piazza Brà you can easily look at the Arena.

Piazza Bra - Portoni della Bra

by croisbeauty

The entrance to Piazza Bra goes through an archway known as the Portoni della Bra, consisting of two huge arches surmounted by battlements which formed part of the walls built by Gian Galeazzo Visconti at the end of the 14th century. This gateway is flanked on one side by the Torre Pentagona, which was also built at the end of the 14th century.

Piazza dei Signori - Palazzo della Podesta

by croisbeauty

Palazzo dei Scaligeri is known also as Palazzo della Podesta, nowadays the Prefecture of Verona.
The original building dates from the 12th century, but through the centuries it has been extensively altered. The facade itself, with its battlements in the style prevalent during the Ghibelline period, is the result of fairly recent restoration works. The magnificent doorway on the front facade of 1533 is by famous Sanmicheli. Dante and Giotto stayed here as guests of the Scaligeri.

Tocatì - Int. street games festival

by effeti

Tocatì (Your turn! in Verona dialect) was a frequent word exanged beetween children playng along the roads, swapping roles in the games. How many times i told it!

Time of no cars around, no PCs or videogames, very few TV if any...

Now, a street festival of all the games usually played along the streets has become a regular event at the end of september (23rd to 25th this year 2006).

Nearly forgotten street games from a lot of country are displayed and played all around Verona.
Sections for the smaller children, and up to children of 60+ years!

So, if you are around in the weekend the event occurs, it will big fun... and a very rare slice of past culture made alive once again!

Take part!

The festival is sponsored by the town all. See the website for more.

of course food, aperitives, collective games and events are all around the town!

Comments