Il Colle degli Ulivi

Via Colle Palazzola 36, Zagarolo, 00039, Italy

More about Il Colle degli Ulivi

Unforgettable days

We spent three days at this superb B&B near Rome before visiting the city. It was an excellent choice because we had a good chance to see Castelli Romani area with Terhi.
The town Nemi and swimming in the volcano lake was very nice. Ivano made superb lunches and the pizza party dinner was fantastic. We got a lot of good advise for our stay in Rome, too. If you want to have wonderful food, personal advice, a cosy cottage and incredible olive tree garden you should visit Terhi and Ivano.

Wonderful Place

Ill Colle Degli Ulivi in Zagarolo is an ideal location when visiting Rome. It is only 5 minutes to the train station and a 30 minute train journey into the city at a very low cost. Ivano our host picked us up at the airport and drove us to our cottage and our holiday began. We had a wonderful time and were very well looked after during our 5 day stay. The cottage is built in a traditional Finnish style and is very clean and comfortable.. Rome is a busy and very exciting city and it was great to go back to the cottage and relax in such peacefull surroundings. Ivano and Terhi are the perfect hosts they definately go the extra mile to ensure you have a great time. Everything from advice on how to get around easily, weather forecast, getting you to the station on time, good food and most of all very nice friendly people. Be sure to sample Ivanos Italian cuisine and tours outwith the city are a must ! We wished we had booked for longer, hopefuly next time.

Cathy and Tommy

Scotland

Wonderful stay at Colle degli Ulivi

We had a wonderful but far too short time when staying in Zagarolo at Colle degli Ulivi from 02 July until 03 July. Thank you Terhi and Ivano for your hospitality, warmth and kindness that you offer for your clients. It really shows that you care of your clients and want to make their stay the most enjoyable one.

It feels like being part of your family and futhermore this was also a unforgettable experience and chance to get to know part of the Italian culture and cuisine.
Excellent meals and wine and possibility to taste flavours and typical Italian food!!

We also had chance to enjoy your beautiful garden and relaxed a lot after visiting Rome.
It takes only about half an hour by train to the center of Rome. So even during a shorter visit you could have a chance to visit both Rome and the wonderful surrounding area of Castelli Romani. We can absolutely recommend your B&B!

Keep up the good work! We will surely come back - sooner you even notice.
Best wishes, Sari

Simply Great

by TripAdvisor Member reginava

It's taken me a while to write this review. Recently some friends inquire of me a great place to stay in Rome. The first thought, that came to my mind was Il Colle Degli Ulivi. I had such a great time with Theri and Ivano. I felt like I was staying with friends, I've know for a while. Their home is beautiful, Theri & Ivano works so hard to make you feel at home. Their hard work truly pays off!!! They help you have no worries, the only worry they want yo to have is to "Enjoy Your LIfe". I can't express in words how great their breaksfast & lunch were. Waking up to a colorful and delicious spread of food was so delightful. Their cottage was so CUTE!! I can't tell you how many pictures we took of it. It was very comfortable. Theri & Ivano was so concern the cottage was comfortable, and it was. They were so helpful with getting us to the train and picking us up when came home. There are a great couple and now great friends. Pleas visit them soon, they would LOVE to have you.

Regina

Loved Ivano, Terhi and the cats:-)

by TripAdvisor Member KerstinLpz

An incredible amount of thoughtfulness went into the room that Ivano and Terhi provide. Her hospitality is the next best thing to being home. They both are very gracious and works hard to ensure your visit to Rome is as memorable as it is pleasant. We learned a lot about Italian food and special dishes during the phenomenal dinner! Thanks. We will come back for sure!!
Kerstin and Oli

What an incredible visit

by TripAdvisor Member meboyle

We recently spent five nights at Il Colle degli Ulivi (July 26-31). It was our first trip to Rome, and we were somewhat apprehensive about staying outside of the city, but it turned out to be an excellent choice. The train to and from Zaragolo was frequent, and coming "home" to our quiet cottage after a full-day of sight-seeing was always a pleasure (not the mention the cost we saved by staying outside of the city center). Our first morning, Ivano spent time helping us to plan out our days, giving us maps and useful information like how we could avoid lines at the Vatican (we didn't wait a minute to enter!). The efficiency of his advice allowed us to spend a full day outside of Rome, on a day tour with Tehri, where we visited a beautiful farmer's market and swam in a warm volcanic lake. They served us plentiful breakfasts each morning (with homegrown fruit), and we even opted to share a dinner one of our nights where we not only had a delicious meal but learned about the intricacies of cooking pasta. (Now I want to return to take a cooking class!). To top all of this off, Ivano was gracious enough to help my fiancee plan a marriage proposal, even helping him to translate a song he had written into Italian! And then we were lucky enough to spend our first days of our engagement in our secluded and romantic piece of Italy. After our five nights, we feel like a part of the family and can't wait for our next opportunity to return. I can't recommend their B&B more highly.

Hospitality unmatched!!!

by TripAdvisor Member d-tpa

Just returned from a three week vacation in Europe. Part of which (an all too short part) was spent with Ivano and Terhi at Il Colle degli Ulivi. I would first like to say that in all my years of travel I have never experienced such warmth and hospitality. As a matter of fact, I do not feel it is possible to recieve better hospitality anywhere else in the world.

It is amazing to me that they can provide such a service and also and add such a personal touch that you feel like you are at "home" with them. We are discerning travelers and are not easily impressed, but we were truly taken aback by the way we were treated by our hosts. It truly "made" our European holiday.

When we arrived at the airport Ivano was waiting to pick us up and take us to his lovely B&B just outside the pictuesque town of Zagarola. As we drove, he talked passionately about Italy, Rome and the surrounding area. It was evident that he was passionate about his homeland and equally passionate about sharing and exposing its beauty and spendor to others.

When we pulled up to their lovely residence we were greeted by the ever smiling Terhi and shown to our room in the cottage just behind their house. Walking through the garden filled with olive, plum, and peach trees was beautiful and we were so impressed about how impeccable the cottage was decorated. Everything about it exuded class and taste.

As we started to become accustomed to our surroundings, Ivano came strolling through the garden with a welcome drink of some very fine white wine local to the area. We sat on the lovely deck outside the cottage sipping the wine and talking in general about what we would be doing the next few days in Rome. He had everything organised and given the little amount of time we had to spend in Rome, gave us ideas about how best to capture the spirit of the city without wasting time. Terhi joined us and offered her suggestions and together we planned the next few days.

Next, Ivano drove us to the train station, picked up the tickets and gave us a rundown of the train system in Rome. He then took us for an "impromptu" tour of Zagarola, talked about the history, showed us the shops and restaurants, took us to the local bakery where we were offered delicious biscuits fresh from the oven, and then drove us back to the train station to catch our train. He then asked us what time we would like to be picked up. As we arrived back at Zagarola late at night, Ivano was there waiting to pick us up and drive us back.

This is a sample of one of our days at Il Colle degli Ulivi. Each day was like this, it seems that they could not do enough to make their guests comfortable and you knew you were in the company of people who truly loved what they did.

I would be remiss if I did not mention their delicious brakfasts, fresh fruits, cheeses, their own delicious tomatoes, fresh juices, proscuito, fresh bread, yogurts, homemade spreads, Terhi's wonderful berry torte and apple strudel ( best i've eaten)....I could go on and on...

On our last night with them after returning from 5 days in tuscany, Ivano took us to each of the local resatuarants and after deciding on where to dine, he spent an hour going over the menu and pointed out the local specialties to make sure our meal was authentic and delicious....which it was. My significant other and I just looked at each other and shook our heads and wondered why we ever left Il Colle Degli Ulivi and Ivano and Terhi's hospitality.

Ivano and Terhi, thank you for making our holiday in Europe one which we will never forget and to all others who are travelling to Rome, do yourself a favour and spend time with Ivano and Terhi....you will not find better hospitality or accomadations anywhere.

Your friends,

D. and S.

Canada

A home from home

by TripAdvisor Member grinfish82

Where to begin? Ivano and Terhi are two of the loveliest people we have ever met while travelling, their enthusiasm for what they do is inspiring. We spent four amazing days in Rome, at their B&B, despite such a short trip we were able to combine sightseeing with relaxing and even a cooking lesson. Ivano - we'll let you know how our attempts at making pasta go!!

We cannot recommed this place enough - in fact we're a bit scared of it becoming too popular in case we can't get a reservation there next year! Nothing is too much trouble for our wonderful hosts, who go out of their way to make sure the experience is perfect.

Rome itself is an incredible place to see, now we are done with the major sights I think next time we will take the time to explore the countryside of Lazio - Ivano is very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and can provide tailor-made excursions depending on what you want to see.

All in all, we were very sad to leave but have taken some wonderful memories with us. See you next year!

Love Sirisha and Chris (Nottingham UK)

festa perfetta

by TripAdvisor Member keefdogg

Our stay at the Il Colle Degli Ulivi was one the mot pleaant short breaks I hve ever had. It was less like staying at a Bed and Breakfast and more like going to stay with some long lost relatives such was Ivano and Tehri's hospitaity and friendliness.Nothing was too much touble, and they went out of their way to make sure you had the perfet time in Italy.

The surrounding area is delightful and situated perfectly - far enough from Rome to be relaxing whist near enough to drive to or arive by train in just over twenty minutes.

The cottage itself was gorgeous, set back in a beautiful olive grove. This grove contributed both fresh olives and olive oil to the delicous home cooked food Ivano prepared. I don't think I have felt more relaxed for years that when I was there eating their home made produce, sipping locally produced wine and enjoying the pleasure of Ivano and Tehri's company.

It is definately a place to which I hope to return.

Chris

Honeymoon from Heaven!

by TripAdvisor Member wfinnl

If you haven't been to Rome before and you want some expert advice as to where to go and what to do... or if you have been to Rome many times and want to view it from another angle then this is the place to go!

We knew this was the place for us as soon as we saw it on Tripadvisor... we needed somewhere tranquil and calm after the hectic build up to our wedding, and we couldn't have hit the nail harder on the head!

The moment the plane landed at Ciampino, we were greeted by a smiling Ivano, and from then on, we were treated with the kindest hospitality and made to feel very special indeed (and that wasn't just because we were newly wed's, all guests receive the warmest of welcomes).

The log cabin is beautiful, it is very cosy and beautifully decorated with wonderful views, looking over the hills around Rome and of course an olive grove.

The log cabin, is self catering and has all the facilities for self sufficiency, but why bother, when you can walk a few metres and have the most delicious home cooked food (prepared around your specific tastes, and believe me I am quite fussy!), but Ivano listened to all of my likes and dislikes on the way to the cottage, and true to his word I did not eat anything that wasn't great, in fact, we found the food so yummy, that we would say 'it's good, but it's not as good as Ivano's!' when we had to have lunch out in Rome.

The whole experience of going to a new country, was made so much easier by Ivano and Tehri's great insights in to, where to go, what to see, when the best time to go where is, in fact we had the absolute pleasure of attending a night walk through Rome with our hosts as guides, and you haven't seen anything until you have seen the Trevi fountain at 03.30am in the morning, it blew me away...
Also, we went on a few day trips, and it was great to have our own personal tour guide and translator as viewed wonderful locations like Nemi and Frascati...

Anyway back to the cottage, it was so nice to travel the 20-30 mins or so out of Rome on an evening, as when you got of the train in Zagaralo it was 10 degrees cooler, and the journey is very straight forward so don't let the distance put you off.

If you are looking for a 'special place to stay' for any event, holiday, birthday celebration or even honeymoon, than I would highly recommend this place (as long as you aren't booking, when we want to go back...)

Comments