4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Trams in RigaTrams in Riga

Bastion Hill in RigaBastion Hill in Riga

Saunas and SPAa in Riga and Latvia

by misiek_wawa

We'll be in Latvia at the begining of May and we want to spend some time in SPAs/Saunas (weather forcast says it will be impossible to visit the beaches that time... ;-)
Could you recommend us some nice saunas/SPAs in Riga and on the Latvian Baltic coast (Kolka, Ventspils, Liepaja)?
Which town on the latvian coast (besides Riga) is the most interesting for a night stopover during our trip?
We would be grateful for any useful hints.

by LanaFromRiga

Hi! I'll recomending "Royal Orchid" spa centre in the heart of Old Riga. I tried there chocolate massage. They gave the bonus: free glass of real chocolate after the procedures. The chocolate massage longed 1,5 hours and costed 30 LVL per 1 person.
The other variant: Baltic Beach Hotel's spa centre. It is in Jurmala. Many of my friends bought weekend ticket there. Much information here: http://www.balticbeach.lv/eng/welness_spa/

by misiek_wawa

Thanks a lot for your hints.
I'll follow them once I reach Riga.
Miki

by DieterLV

Other sites on the Riga Gulf coast is basically Jurmala which many might consider part of the greater Riga and this is true. Other sites are very small and insignificant from the first-time visitor's point of view: Saulkrasti, Tuja, Roja. There are no major towns on the sea in the gulf area, all are further ashore.

by FletteMette

There are lots of nice little towns in Latvia that are well worth a visit - but most aren't situated by the coast. Exceptions are Liepaja and Ventspils, which *are* by the sea...they're both nice enough towns, but I think both Kuldiga, Sigulda and Cesis are a lot more charming...:o)

Riga December

by bjas

I travel to Riga this December (5-10), and I need tips about what I can do in Riga this days.
I find a site where I see Iggy Pop playing at Arena Riga 5th December, someone who wants to go and see this concert with me?

by FletteMette

Hi there, I suggest taking a look at some of the many Riga pages here on VT (Type Riga in the destination search on top of this page) - and also check out http://www.inyourpocket.com/latvia/riga/en/ and http://www.rigathisweek.lv/index.php

RE: RE: Riga December

by FletteMette

Hei forresten, jeg ser du er fra Oslo - sjekket ikke før jeg svarte...:o) Riga er kjempebra, har vært der mange ganger og skal tilbake selv i desember! Ha en fin tur! (If you tell us what you like we might be able to give you some more detailed answers, but you *must* go to the tower of St. Peter's Church for great views of the old town! The Occupation Museum is very interesting and well worth a visit. Drinks at Skyline Bar are also a must-do...:o) Oh, and there's a Christmas Market on Dome Square in December, it's quite nice - and they do sell mulled wine...;o)

by Sergeyu

Actually to some extent Riga is party city, so go to teh club to have drink and fun, clubs are open Th-Su, some of them all over the week. In the meanwhile you can take a trip to Siglda to have nice valeey vioew with medivela castles or to Cesis / Rundale for histrical arhitecture too, if you'r intereseted. Or there are some new quality places, incl. seashore city Jurmala in Riga vicinity, which offer genuine Russian sauna or oriental spa experinece- if that is your choice . These things are bit pricey, but anyway much cheaper than in Western europe.

Weather is still surprisingly nice for the season, sunny, 7-10 C, not windy, rare rains, and no snow. So you take confmortable walks wherever you'l like.

by LanaFromRiga

Hi! You're welcome to Riga! On December you'll find a traditional Christmas Market in Old Riga (Vecriga). I advice you to go to Ethnographic Museum and Cars Museum (more information you'll find in my Riga's Page). December isn't pleasant month to enjoy Latvian nature and Sigulda with Turaida will not the best destination. Yes, Jurmala with its SPA resorts is excellent way how to rel;ax and get positive emotion. The most popular place is Baltic Beach Hotel's SPA.
Have a nice time in Riga!
Lana

Travel Tips for Riga

Cheese burgers....

by lakrits

While we waited to check in to our hotel we went to the "Double Coffe", just next to the hotel, to get something to eat.
Somehow I must have misread the menue (it is in Latvian but also in English) and ordered a cheese burger. A cheese burger in my world is a meat burger with a piece of cheese on top, but that is not the case in Latvia - there a cheese burger is a fried chunk of cheese having the shape of a burger. I'm not a big fan of cheese but this fried cheese chunk was not bad at all when eating it in the bun (with lettuce and tomato, and fries on the side).

Lonely Planet Guide

by HORSCHECK

Hiking The Baltic States are rapidly developing countries, therefore an up to date guidebook is very useful. I used the Lonely Planet Guide "Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania" which offers information for all budgets on what to see and do, and tips on dining and accomodation.

Galerija Centrs

by kit_mc about Galerija Shopping Centre

This is a rather posh, extremely bright and modern shopping centre in the heart of Old Riga. Mainly clothing but you can get anything over about 4 floors of shops, selling everything from hot chocolate, cigars and music.

If shopping is your thing then you'll enjoy this centre. It's all very smart, the ground floor is a cobbled interior street and there's plenty of decent shops to spend your cash in. Not so much a place to buy souvenirs as a new wardrobe.

Great service, great cocktails.

by kit_mc about Kapteiņa Enriko pulkstenis

Apparently the name in English is Captain Enrico's Watch is the name of a classic Rigan film from the 1960's. This seems like a fairly trendy joint, popular with 20 something locals. We strayed in from our hotel, The Albert which was just across the road and the night became a highlight of the trip.

Dropping in fairly late in the evening, after 9pm, we were still able to grab a bite to eat. Grilled salmon steak with mashed potato with sundried tomato and leek, in a mushroom sauce was great and a good price at 4.70 lats. Burrito also got the thumbs up around the same price.

Then the cocktails started flowing... I'm not sure how full this place gets, it was quiet enough for us on a Saturday night to stay seated and be served at the table by the very friendly waitress who spoke perfect English. Cocktails were between 3.00 for a normal one (Pina Colada or the gorgeous raspberry daquiri) or 4.75 for a massive (lovely) Mai Tai. They were pretty strong, but miraculously in the morning neither of us had hangovers despite us pretty much getting through half the cocktail menu between us before leaving in a snowstorm at 3am.

They also do breakfasts.

Taxi (red)

by gugi66

If you must take a taxi take the red cars with their tel.no printed on the door (8000 13 13) they are most honest. I went to Reval Hotel Latvija and took a red taxi (I knew there is red taxis there). From Reval Hotel Latvija to Ship Terminal I got a fix price 5 Lats. I took it.

Comments