Best Eastern Centra Hotel Riga

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Seniors Family Travel
See Amenities
leics's Profile Photo

Cool, clean and convenient.

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 19, 2013

I hovered between this hotel and another nearby until very near my departure date. I simply couldn't decide between them. I decide on the very-slightly-more-expensive Centra in the end, because it has air con...and Riga had been having a heatwave.

Inevitably, of course, the heatwave broke before I visited and i didn't need air con at all. But I was still very pleased with my choice.

The Centra is a fairly-recent renovation of an old building, located in the heart of Riga's old town just a few seconds from St Peter's church and absolutely super-convenient for arrival by airport bus, getting the train elsewhere and exploring central historical Riga. It's a super-cool hotel too, with modern lamps, original artworks and sculptures and clean, unfussy decor.

My room was superb...and huge. A large, very comfortable double-bed, a white 'leather' sofa, ample storage space, a sparklingly-clean bathroom with tub and shower and lights which automatically switch themselves on when you open the door. Complimentary bottled water every day, tea and coffee-making facilities, a mini-bar, a very-safe safe and double-glazed windows which can be opened and which are screened against bugs (I've not come across that before in Europe). The free wifi is efficient too.

The included breakfast was pretty good as well: juice, coffee and tea, a range of savouries both hot and cold (cheese, scrambled eggs, tomato and cucumber, meats, fish etc etc), a variety of bread types, some pastries, yoghurts, cereals and fresh fruit. And..rather oddly....a glass or two of prosecco if you wished. Hair of the dog, perhaps? Or maybe a make-it-yourself Buck's Fizz? :-)

Staff were courteous, with good English, though did tend to be rather reserved. That's fine by me; I don't like being fawned over. There's a small bar too, though I didn't use it.

Airport bus 22 stops just a couple of minutes' walk away on 11 novembre krastmala. When you are coming from the airport, the best place to get off is at the Schumann shopping centre (the second stop after the bus crosses the river). I got off at the first stop after the bridge, as suggested by the 'Welcome to Riga' centre at the airport, and had a much longer walk (cobbles!) than necessary.

But, wonderful though this hotel is, it does have a couple of potential disadvantages.

1. The lift ('Schindler's lift', as I came to call it..it's made by 'Schindler') is really very small. Although it says it can take up to 4 adults, those 4 would be rather squashed. And it certainly wouldn't take a pushchair/stroller unless folded up.

2. The hotel is opposite a restaurant which blares music into the street most of the day and much of the night. And there are several bars nearby, two of which do not close until the early morning. As all rooms face the same way, so if you are a light sleeper you'll need the windows closed (they muffle the sound quite well) and/or ear plugs.

The hotel has won the 2013 TA award for best Riga hotel. So that tells you something....

Directions: Audeju iela runs across the southern part of Riga's old town.

Lovely, stylish hotel

by written on October 4, 2008

We had an opportunity to travel somewhere with my husband for two nights. As we have 3 small kids, we chose hotel very carefully - this would be The Romantic Trip... :-)

We chose hotel Centra, and it was perfect choice! I booked via internet, had some e-mail conversation between hotel and me, to plan the perfect stay. When we arrived, we had chauffeur waiting for us at airport, arriving at hotel was nice, staff was friendly and polite. Sparkling wine was waiting for us in our lovely, light junior suite. We went also back to airport with hotels car, though it was 19 euros / way, it was worth it.

Our room was junior suite, light and big. Price wasn't too bad, bit of feel of luxury at affordable price. We stayed in hotel at autumn, so prices were lower than high season in summer.

We we're so satisfied with this hotel, that when my aunt promised to look after our kids for couple of days, I immediately booked flights to RIga and two nights in this hotel! This time we'll be staying in Suite, and instead of 2nd floor all the way up on the top floor. I'm really looking forward to staying there, again!

Unique Quality: Great views to Riga Old Town, hotel is situated in Old Town, great place.

Tranport from airport to hotel and back is available, in 2007 it was about 19 euros / way. With all that money you'll get easy arrival - driver waits for you at airport with name sign, carries luggage from airport to car and car to hotel and you'll just enjoy the ride.

lalikes's Profile Photo

Small Hotels of the World

by written on September 16, 2008

This was an oasis of a hotel. My girlfriend and I were traveling 3 weeks from Russia, through the Baltics and lastly to Poland so mid trip we decided to upgrade to a fancy hotel and boy... was it. We decided to stay an extra 2 days on top of our already 3 night stay. That is how great this hotel was. We were there on the off season- mid April- when it's still cold. Didn't matter. The room was HUGE- for a hotel room. It was a Small Hotel of the World hotel. The price wasn't too bad even though the Baltic prices were comparable to being in Chicago- which is where we are from but it was worth it. If I recall it was $180 a night (so, okay, not so expensive- compared to Chicago).

Unique Quality: The staff was friendly, accommodating and loved us. When we had to check out they stored our bags until we had to leave 8 hours later to catch our bus to Lithuania.

Directions: In the heart of the city.

SueWarwick's Profile Photo

Luxury at a good price!

by written on April 3, 2006

For the price this is amazing!
I was picked up from the airport by stretched limo and this set the standard for the entire stay.
The hotel was spotlessly clean. The staff were friendly, helpful and spoke very good English and the room.....well, I know people who live in smaller houses!

My suite (room 401) on the 5th floor was huge, 2 televisions (with foreign channels), well stocked (and reasonably priced) mini bar, huge comfy sofas, internet connection and the rooms were all well heated (very welcome when I went!)
The room over looked the narrow streets of the old town and the church (see photo).
The bathroom came with massage shower and underfloor heating - perfect after a stroll on a cold evening

The living area is seperated from the bedroom by two huge lockable wooden doors

Unique Quality: Great location, right in the centre of the old town yet quiet.
Amazing price for the quality (rooms from £80 per night)
Breakfast was included and very nice - the porridge is recommended to warm you up for those cold Latvian days.

agentmulderch's Profile Photo

Best located and very nice rooms

by written on May 29, 2005

Well, it was one of this crazy night in Lausanne when I was with on of my friends in Red Club.

I was quite tipsy and it was around 3 am, then I decided to go to Riga. Of course my friend did not believe me....I took the cab from Lausanne to the airport which was of course closed at this time, consequently I had some drinks in a club untill the airport opens.

As soon as the airport open, I booked a last minute flight and took off at 6:50 to come back following day at 18:05.....

I arrrived at Centra without any luggage :-)) and discovered their beautiful rooms, that are very clean, modern, quite big, bed like Japanese Futon.

I would highly recommend Centra hotel since:
- in the heart of Riga old town and its wild nightlife
-very comfortable, clean and classy rooms
-price......unfortunately 120 Euros, I know...not that cheap...But if you are lucky and book well in advance you might find hot deals for EURO 70. For that you have to got to following webpage : http://hotelslatvia.com/

Unique Quality: Already stated above

Great value hotel - highly recommended

by written on March 5, 2005

Hotel Centra is as it says .. central. Just a 5Lat cab ride from the airport, the hotel is siutated equally conveniently for sightseeing and the host of bars and restaurants in Old Riga.
The rooms are large and keep very clean. Beds are very comfy.
I Stayed in junior suite 604 which has a very good view of the old town.

Nearby Best Eastern Centra Hotel Riga

• Suites
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Riga Travel Forum

Need advice about Riga, Latvia? Visit the Travel Forum for Riga and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Riga hotel reviews