Hotel Irina

Tags

Budget Travel Backpacking Museum Visits
See Amenities

A terrible place

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 6, 2009

Unique Quality: The staff in the Irina dislike English speaking, they are the rudest staff I have ever encountered in all my travels. They shut the bar on you, one Sat at 8.30 . They wont answer any questions if asked in English, they just stare into your face. The hotel itself is not to clean. It is located in a very noisy place wit trafic 24hrs a day and windows are very poor, so it is hard to get some sleep. I biggest complaint ( as if there wasn't enough ) is the fact that they lock the front door every night and you have to wake a very grumpy dirty guard ( who carries a gun by the way ) thats sleeps on the sofa in the small foyer.

Directions: Busy intersection

Cheap bed in Riga

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 3, 2007

This place is what it looks like on the outside. When I was there it was as run down inside as it was outside. I thought I had found heaven here with a $12 a night room but when the lady at the front desk would only let me pay for one night at a time I later understood. After a night on the town I came back to pass out and was awoken by a buzzing sound around my face and I began to itch a bit. At first I thought I had eaten somthing bad but when I felt the mosquito land on my face I then understood. I then got up and saw dead mosquitos all over the walls and began to wonder why I had not noticed that when I first checked in....

Unique Quality: The bug problem may have been solved or it they do not bother you this is a cheap option in next to the old city

Directions: 5-10 min walk from the train station

rollinstone81's Profile Photo

Riga-Hotel Saulite

by written on January 1, 2005

When I´m in Riga I usually stay there. Its not the nicest place ever, but the price is low, the location is central and they have renovated some of the rooms and the hallways. If you have room without shower, you will have to pay a little for taking a shower. It can also be a little noisy. But it is my choice since its good value.

Directions: Near the train station, across the McDonalds

yumyum's Profile Photo

One of the few bugdet hotels

by written on September 5, 2004

I got a room without prebooking. The hotel has no lift and my room was on the 5th floor. I had a single room with a sink and cold water tap for 8 Lats (about 12 Euros). There is a toilet on each floor. The shower is on the second floor and costs 0,5 Lat. There is plenty of hot water. I would use the hotel again.

There is no laundry service.

Directions: From the bus station keep to the right along the road along the Forum Cinema, shopping center, railway station then you don't have to use an underpass which is better when you have a suitcase trolley.

daugavpilietis's Profile Photo

My favorite cheap hotel...

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 19, 2003

I live in Daugavpils, three hours away from the capital, and I've been a regular guest at "Saulite" for more than a decade. It's cheap -- the cheapest rooms (sans shower, which you pay about a lats for) run Ls 8 ($16), though there are now only a couple of those. Rooms with shower are Ls 16 or so. The big plus is location -- it's across the street from the train station, a 10-min. walk to the Old City, a 5-min. walk to the Opera. It can be noisy -- some on the staff (which hasn't changed) are very nice, a few not so nice. This hotel is very basic. It can be cold in the winter and stuffy in the summer. There are phones in the rooms, and TVs. Most on the staff speak some English.

Unique Quality: The streetcorner is pretty seedy at night. The corner of the building houses an all-night cafe with no seating... I like it a lot, actually, perhaps because it's the only place I've ever seen anywhere in the world where friendly, interesting, impoverished drunkards order tiny portions of dirt cheap smoked salmon and caviar to go with their vodka. The store, too, is open all night, and around the corner is another, better all-night store. You really must be careful after dark, however. The main danger is groups of Gypsies who press against you, fishing in your pockets. Ladies of the evening also abound. So, you've been warned... not for luxury travel or the faint of heart.

Directions: If Saulite has no vacancies, you can try Aurora, around the corner, if you're desperate... not recommended, but cheap.

deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Cheap and cheerful

by written on September 13, 2003

Well located (opposite the train station), Saulite is cheap with adequate facilities. On a least 4 floors linked by a huge stone spiral staircase.
The staff speak the bare minimum of English, and appear at first unhelpful, but will assist you if they can understand you.

Nearby Hotel Irina

• Continental Breakfast
  • Room Service
  • Free High Speed Internet

Riga Travel Forum

Need advice about Riga, Latvia? Visit the Travel Forum for Riga and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Riga hotel reviews

Bastejkalns Park
Soviet Riga
Powder tower.
Things to Do
Bastejkalns Park and the city canal.
Latvian National Opera.
Things to Do
Freedom Monument 's Guard of honor.
The Freedom Monument.
Things to Do
The Old St.Gertrude's church.
Things to Do
The Nativity of Christ Cathedral.
Things to Do
Venus of Wilendorf 21 st century .
ART ACADEMY OF LATVIA
Latvian Riflemen Monument
Central Market
Academy of Sciences
Things to Do
Great location, day or night
Art Nouveau district refreshment