Ramada Riga City Centre

Riga Central StationRiga Central Station

Tram intersection in RigaTram intersection in Riga

2-3 days in Riga end September

by lavaslaerk

We're visiting friends in Georgia in September and coincidentally, this will probably mean transiting through Riga-probably around the 22nd-25th. I've always wanted to visit the Baltic area, so this is a good opportunity to get acquainted.

We'll probably have only a few days - anyone available to meet up? my wife is from the Philippines, we like history and the arts, music, and generally just want to have fun :)

Cheers,
Jason
from Canada

by Durfun

I suggest you check out the Baltic beach resort - Jurmala, less than an hour from Riga!!

by JohntheFinn

The beach season is well and truly over in the northern Baltic by September.

by christine.j

If your wife has a passport from the Philippines, she'll need a visa to spend some days in Riga. If she has a Canadian one, no problem, Canadian citizens get 90 days without a visa.
I just thought I'd mention this to avoid any problems, September is right around the corner and to get a visa can take some time.

by Durfun

Well, I can & do swim in icy waters!!

by lavaslaerk

Hi Christine, yes, we're aware, she has a Schengen visa. Latvia is part of the Schengen Area still? :)

Travel Tips for Riga

Riga This Week -magazine

by ZenLady34

This is a general tip to Riga. Find your own free copy of "Riga This Week magazine". It will give you plenty of information on restaurants, event, hotels, shops... and the information is up to date.

I found my copy from the lobby of our hotel.

Greet your guests with flowers

by maria_hz

When Latvians meet guests, say at airports or similar, they always buy flowers for their guests. That is such a nice gesture and custom, it is worth taking up! That is also why there is a place to get flowers from at the airport arrivals hall. Naturally you can get flowers anywhere you like, but one good place to get fresh cut flowers is the Flower market in the city centre.

The Flower market is located along Terbatas iela next to the Vermanes Garden and it is open 24 (!) hours! It is especially nice to go there late at night, when few places are open, to enjoy the blossom. The Latvians are good at making beautiful arrangements, and they're not that expensive either. Makes you wish you could take them home with you when you leave...

Bowling in Bowling Center "Spāre"

by Inguuna

I'm not a big professional in bowling play, but here I'll name few places where I like to play it and relax.
The atmosphere in "Spāre" is great and if you're playing in the evening the lights are turned off, but the alleys and bowls stay lighted. The hall is not so big, they have 10 alleys and near them there are chairs and table. So you can enjoy some snacks or drinks. By the way they have good cuisine. You must reserve time, if you want to play there. And the prices depends on what day or what time you're playing.
Besides bowling center here is also located small hotel, but can't tell anything, because never stayed there.

Black liqueur

by Zirpsis about Melnais Balzams

This is what travellers buy in Riga. Didn't notice much difference in prices town vs. the airport. So you might as well leave this shopping until the last minute before departure. This is the local liqueur you must taste while in Riga. It's black and strong and tastes terrible. It was ceated by a Rigan pharmacist in 1752 and it's supposed to heal whatever health problems you might have - or then not. Different sizes from 2 to 6 lats

International travelers bar

by agentmulderch about Velvet

Well, Velvet is the place to go.

All foreigners in Riga will go to Velvet so you will never feel alone in this beautiful city......You can imagine that if all foreigners get there, all girls that like Foreigners get there...

Velvet is a restaurant and a bar that has a nice dancefloor.

The food is quite good and presented in french nouvelle cuisine style but at very reasonable prices.

You should not get there before 23:00.

What really suprised me at first glance was that I saw men of 50 or 60 years old dancing and having fun.....I asked myself where am I???

Then I talked to some Latvians and Russians and they told me, for you age is really important, for us not.

In Switzerland where I live I would not at 32, be able to flirt with many girls of 20, they would tell me to go to hell!! Believe me in Latvia it is feasible without a doubt, moreover the standing will be far higher than any Western country.

The music you will listen in Velvet is pure commercial. I.e. Kylie Minogue, Jennifer Lopez, Sophie Ellis Bextor, Michael Gray - The Weekend, etc.

The price for the pind of beer is very inexpensive, around 2 Euros.

At week-ends they charte 3 Euros for the entrance and they close at 4 o' clock. During weekdays, it's free entrance. As you want but please no shorts or trainers.

Comments