Klaipeda Hotel

Tatar mosque in KaunasTatar mosque in Kaunas

Holocaust monumentHolocaust monument

The ?shrine? at the rearThe ?shrine? at the rear

Memorial plaqueMemorial plaque

how to reach hotel on 04.11.10 at 12.30 from airport.

by smookherji

I have a plan to go to KAUNUS in the above schedule. I am not in a position to find any way to hotel ANELES B&B, Karmelava at night specilly when the temp nearly 0`C. Kindly let me know ,if there is any solution with you.

Re: how to reach hotel on 04.11.10 at 12.30 from airport.

by jonellis

The last municipal bus leaves the airport to go to the Train and Bus Station at 23:00. I would imagine a taxi would be best. Usually there will be taxiis around the arrival of flights. After midnight it gets a bit lonely at that Airport except when flights are coming and going. I am sure you can phone a taxi, but I always used the bus during the hours they operate so I never used them. But, as I said before, I always saw taxiis when my flight came in. I would guess about 15 Euro+(51 LTL)

Re: how to reach hotel on 04.11.10 at 12.30 from airport.

by remigia

hi
In fact if you are staying in this B&B in Karmelava, you don't even need a bus it's less than 2km from airport. So if you don't have much heavy luggage just find the print map and walk. Karmelava has just one main street and almost all the smaller are joining it. I doubt taxi will take that short distance. If you cannot walk then contact the owners of B&B- it's possible that someone from them would agree to meet you. Acctually, there is a night bus which leaves around 0.30 but it's an express that doesn't stop in Karmelava. Still you can ask the driver to let you out at second stop in Karmelava from airport. Just in case, some taxi driver agree to take you to B&B- the fare is just about 5-7 litas and the drive is no more than 5min., so don't let them cheat on you.
Have a good time in Kaunas
Remi:)

Travel Tips for Kaunas

Confluence of Nemunas and Neris

by HORSCHECK

Kaunas is situated at the confluence of Lithuania's two longest rivers: the Nemunas and the Neris.

Both rivers arise in Belarus and in Kaunas the Neris becomes a tributary of the Nemunas river. The Nemunas flows into the Curonian lagoon and then into the Baltic Sea.

The region where the two rivers meet is said to be the point where Kaunas originated in the 14th century.

Town of culture and active people

by Raimix

I like Kaunas of more Lithuanian spirit, more gothic architecture, lot of interesting and worth to see museums and proactive cultural life of this beautiful place. Many nice people, smiling, talking, it seems they live an active lifes and, what is more, lot of wedings have been at Kaunas Town Hall and in some churches when I was there.

Somethink like procesion was going on in Kaunas I had took a photo of it.

Cheap internet in Kaunas

by matcrazy1

If you are VT-addicted or just want to connect to internet walk along main streets (Laisves aleja and Vilniaus gatve) of the centre/downtown of Kaunas and look for signs as on my picture. I found a few internet cafes, usually with a few small in size monitors, cafe/tea to choose and smoking inside allowed.

This Cafe Internet on my picture was located at Vilniaus gatve 24 (street), close to Town Hall Square (Rotuses aikste) and Avilio terasa (Vilniaus gatve 30). It costed 4 Lt per 1 hour at 8.00 pm - 12.00 pm and 5.00 Lt from 10.00 am till 8.00 pm. Map here.

Leave your shoes here, please

by matcrazy1

When we entered little mosque in Kaunas we were asked to take our shoes off and to leave them at these shelves, on my picture, placed in a vestibule. Well, it was rather not Kaunas local costume but muslim mosque's custom.

But not exclusively, whenever you visit any local at home or apartment take your shoes off when you enter even if you are not asked to do it. Mostly slippers will be offered for you or... you - as a special guest - will be allowed to enter with shoes on.

Dates and hours in Lithuanian

by matcrazy1

Excuse, it's more Lithuanian than Kaunas local custom tip. I will transfer it to my Lithuania page soon.

Enlarge my picture of typical, Lithuanian yellow mail box, please. As in most (all?) countries there were hours when the box should be emptied by mail/post office workers marked on the mail box.

Pay attention how they used to mark days of week (in arabic numbers from I to VII) and hours (24-hour clock, val. means hour). So, when you see "Dirbame" = opening hours marked as for example I-V 8 - 16 val. it means Mon - Fri 8.00 am - 4.00 pm.

Comments